twenty one

21

Then

Carina walked confidently up to the Sorting Hat.

She had been assured time and time again that she would be placed in Slytherin, and while Carina believed it as well, she couldn't help but be nervous.

If she didn't get sorted into Slytherin, the repercussions would be grand.

The last time a member of their family was placed somewhere other than Slytherin was the infamous Sirius Black, and look how that worked out for him.

Carina's mind was in a whirl, scanning through all the possibilities in her mind. Her heart clenched in her chest, but her face stayed neutral.

The Sorting hat wasn't completely on Carina's head when it called out, causing Carina to let out a breath of relief.

"SLYTHERIN!"

Now

"Oh, fuck."

Those were the only words that came to Carina's mind when she saw the Death Eaters storm the castle.

Carina flipped out her wand, hurling curses as she ran towards the Great Hall.

Carina flew in, blasting down a wave of Death Eaters as she did so.

Finding a flash of red hair in the crowd, Carina moved stealthily toward the centre of the hall to help her fellow Order members.

The Order members were only using defensives curses and the occasional jinx, but Carina was countering the Death Eaters' Avadas with her own.

The students seemed surprised, but at that point she didn't really care; she was defending her home, it wasn't her fault if the enemy's soldiers were killed. They attacked first.

Carina watched masked men and women fall, having the misfortune to be at the wrong her wand.

Then, just as soon as the chaos started, it stopped.

Carina stood back to back with Seamus Finnegan, a boy whom she had never previously spoken. They were both breathing heavily, relying on one another for support.

If he had known who she was, Carina supposed, he might not have been so eager to fight alongside her. But in that moment the two were on the same side, living the same experience, and they were both grateful for each other's company.

Carina felt someone grab her, and she almost cried out, before recognizing the calloused hands as Remus Lupin's.

Relieved, she fell into him, utterly exhausted.

She wasn't able to stay in the safety of his arms long, however, as he pulled her outside towards the Astronomy Tower, trying to find the source of the commotion.

Upon seeing Dumbledore's dead body, Remus' grip on her arm tightened painfully, but Carina didn't notice.

It wasn't Dumbledore she was really upset over; she had always thought he was an old coot, but Hermione and Harry's reaction.

Harry was leaning on Ginny for support, and animalistic sounds of pain were coming from him. They chilled Carina to the bone, and she was honestly concerned for his well-being.

That was not a feeling she was used to.

The desperate need to make Hermione happy again; that, however, she was used to.

She was sobbing on Ron's shoulder, and he looked all too happy for their Headmaster to have died.

It was then Carina realized Ron was in love with Hermione.

Unfortunately for Ron, Hermione didn't love him back.

They had talked about it, once, when Carina had brought up the Yule Ball.

Hermione had been beyond pissed with him; the fact that he asked her as a last resort was one thing, but insinuating that she was so undesirable that she had to lie about having a date was another.

They were on good terms once more, but Hermione wasn't about to forgive him for something like that.

Besides, she was out of his league.

Hermione was out of Carina's league, too, but Carina at least recognized this fact. And if Hermione decided she wanted to date Carina, then the Slytherin wasn't about to say no. As long as she made Hermione happy, Carina would be content with the situation.

But even though Carina knew Ron had no chance with Hermione, it didn't stop the jealousy from boiling up.

Hermione was hers; Ron wasn't allowed to look at her like that. Like she was a prize to be claimed. It was dehumanizing in a way, and it made Carina want to slap him even more than usual.

But Remus was still gripping her arm, using her as an anchor, and Carina obediently stayed.

Dumbledore was the one who let Remus into Hogwarts, when he was sure he wouldn't be able to attend, and Carina knew it must have come as a shock to him.

"Go see Sirius, Remi. Go back to Grimmauld. I'll handle things here."

Remus nodded silently, turning and walking in towards the castle. Carina walked slowly towards Harry, noticing with a start the blackened hand of Dumbledore.

Horcruxes, she thought, remembering what Harry had said so long ago. She hadn't paid much attention then, too wrapped up in her little idea of paradise.

But Carina recognized the hardened lines of Dumbledore's cheeks, and the way he was too pale to only have died a few hours ago.

He'd already been dying when dealt the final blow.

How long, she didn't know. But he'd always been fairly wise, and if there were anyone to foresee their death, it would be Dumbledore. And if he died in the Astronomy Tower, it was because he fucking wanted to, because he felt it was the right thing to do.

Harry didn't understand it. She doubted he ever would. Harry was not the type of person to analyze others and their motives. Harry saw, then reacted. A true Gryffindor. Carina didn't believe Hermione when she learned that he was almost placed in Slytherin.

That boy couldn't find his way out of a paper bag without Hermione. He'd just end up trying to hex it off, hurting himself in the process.

If Carina told him Dumbledore chose to die then, he would laugh. He'd find it ridiculous.

Carina didn't.

She'd always imagined Dumbledore going out in a grand show, bright lights, fire raging.

What better way to go than by marking the start of a war?