six

6

Then:

Carina sat in the stands, watching the Quidditch match play out in front of her. Her eyes flew to the Gryffindor seeker as he shouted something she couldn't make out, a giant blue stag emerging from the tip of his wand. A corporeal patronus.

Carina had never seen a fellow third year do such advanced magic. And of all the people to do it, it had to be Potter.

That wouldn't do. That wouldn't do at all.

Getting up from her perch, the Slytherin walked towards the castle.

Carina knocked on Professor Lupin's personal quarters, where she knew he would be. The haggard man opened the door, eyes widening when he saw her.

Not caring, Carina strolled briskly into the room, before turning towards the professor. "You taught Potter the patronus, correct?"

"I- yes. Why?" Lupin seemed concerned, eyes darting every direction.

"Teach me?"

Now:

Carina sat down at the dinner table to an awkward silence. Ron muttered something under his breath to Harry, making the scarred boy grimace. Carina rolled her eyes at their antics, and Lupin noticed and winked at her. She let a hint of a smile grace her face for a moment, before slipping back into her resting bitch face.

Molly Weasley passed her a plate of mashed potatoes, and she took a small scoop so not to be rude. She wasn't very hungry, she never was anymore. Every time she brought the fork towards her mouth, all she could see was blood. Her blood, her brother's blood, prisoners' blood, it didn't matter.

Carina swallowed a couple forkfuls before setting her fork down next to her plate once more.

"Why aren't you eating?" Molly asked, looking slightly offended.

"I'm not very hungry. But thank you for the meal anyways," Carina said, lacing and unlacing her fingers under the table.

"Not up to your standards, I see," Molly said bitterly.

"It's not that at all, Molly dearest," Carina said, lacing sarcasm into her voice. "It's just that Ron's face was putting me off my meal. If he turned around, I'm sure I'd be fine."

Fred and George snorted into their food, and she shot them a winning Malfoy smile.

She turned to Harry, who had just been muttering a long string of choice words. "Did you say something, Lord and Savior?"

"What did you call me?" Harry said, narrowing his eyes at her.

A smirk overtook her features and she slipped into Parseltongue. You heard me, Golden Boy.

All around the table, people's eyes widened. Harry, true to his clueless nature, hadn't noticed she had changed tongues. Why you bloody—

Language, Potter. Wouldn't want Mrs. Weasley to get pissed with you, now would we?

"Y-you," Hermione stuttered out, "you speak Parseltongue?"

Carina couldn't help but notice that she liked it when she made the Gryffindor stutter. "I do indeed. Pureblood Slytherin, remember?"

"Can Draco do it too?" She asked then, eyebrows furrowing in concentration.

"Don't you think you would have heard about it by now if he could?"

The girl nodded, realizing Carina was right. "Fascinating. I wonder why you got the ability but he didn't."

"Well," Carina said, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear, "I got most of the crazy traits so I'm not exactly celebrating over here."

Remus gave her a knowing look, and she forced a small smile in his direction.

"What do you mean, 'all the crazy traits'?" Sirius asked, "Because I think I inherited some too."

Carina laughed, throwing her head back like a small child. "Well, for one, I can blow bubble gum while standing on my head. But for some reasons, only on Mondays during the full moon."

"You're shitting me, aren't you?" Sirius said, sounding quite offended.

"Bet your ass I am. But I can tell what material a piece of clothing is made of just by touch. I am just full of talents over here." Carina said arrogantly.

Sirius's eyes widened, "I can do that too!"

"Guess it's a Black trait then," Carina said playfully. "Ah, the wonders of inbreeding."

Remus nudged Sirius then, and whispered something Carina didn't catch. Sirius nodded, then turned to Carina once more. "C'mon, kid, I have something to show you."

Carina followed him away from the table warily. While she assumed he wasn't actually a mass murder because he was residing here, she still hadn't heard the full story.

Sirius smiled at her before opening the door to what appeared to be a study. "Congratulations, cousin. You made it."