twenty three

23

Then

Carina pulled her cardigan closer to her as she walked. Finally, she stumbled upon the sought out quarters. She knocked lightly, and it opened to reveal a groggy Remus Lupin.

"Miss Malfoy, may I ask what you are doing here at this time of night?"

"I'm sorry, Professor." Carina said, making sure she stayed coolly unattached. "It's just that people in my dormitory were saying some things that I didn't particularly want to hear. I couldn't tell them off in fear of repercussions, so I left. I'm not allowed to be out after hours, and you were the only person I could think of going to."

"What exactly were they saying?" Lupin asked, opening his door wider so Carina could entre.

"Some prejudiced things I didn't completely agree with." Carina answered noncommittally.

They had been making fun of a gay seventh year couple, calling them 'fags' and 'wastes of space'. Carina ignored it at first, but when the conversation took a turn for the dark, about how they would 'murder the fucking faggots to teach them a lesson', she knew she had to get out.

Carina had just been scared that Remus wouldn't let her in.

She sat cross-legged on the small sofa in his living area, across from the Professor.

"Do you want to talk about what happened?" He asked, his voice showing real concern. Carina admired him for that, as she wasn't exactly his favorite student.

"Not particularly. Tell me about your time at Hogwarts. I hear you, Sirius Black, James Potter, and Peter Pettigrew were as thick as thieves. Please elaborate."

Remus raised an eyebrow, so Carina continued. "Well, you all were obviously very good friends all seven years, and I would hope they would have figured out the fact that you're a werewolf, so what happened? How did you guys stay so close, even with that looming issue?"

Remus had paled, and he was stuttering, unable to form a complete sentence.

Rolling her eyes, Carina spoke once more. "I won't tell anyone, if that's what you're worried about. I don't particularly mind. You can still teach, who cares what you do behind closed doors? What I'm wondering is how you managed to stumble upon three people who didn't care that you're a werewolf, and what exactly they did to help."

Remus licked his lips, thinking for a moment. "If you tell me a secret, I'll tell you mine. That way I know you won't tell."

"What are you, three?" Carina mocked. However, after a moment of hesitation, she answered him. "I killed a kitten when I was younger. I used the Avada on it, and I didn't even have a wand. I let myself go out of control. I have never let a thought cross my mind I couldn't squash at a moment's notice since."

Remus stared at her a moment, and Carina wondered if she had been too straightforward.

"They became Animagi."

Carina thought for a moment, weighing the pros and cons of her next question. "Teach me?"

Now

Carina looked around the Dursley's living room, disgusted. It was just so... quaint. She didn't like it at all.

She especially didn't like the fact that she was in Harry Potter's body. He was taller than her by a good three inches, and Harry was gangly and slightly scrawny. She had no idea where her limbs were, and she had bumped into three pieces of furniture trying to cross the room.