fifty five

55

Then

Carina walked next to Draco, blonde hair smacking against her face.

"And then, Potter—" Draco said haughtily. He'd been talking about the blasted boy for over an hour, and Carina was sick of it.

"Can't we talk about something we're both interested in?" Carina asked, cutting Draco off mid-sentence.

"If you insist," Draco said with a sigh. "How about that Granger girl? We could talk about why we hate her."

A familiar pang ran through Carina's body at the mention of Granger. She wasn't sure why, but the girl did things to her. And she hated it.

"Alright," Carina agreed easily, "I'll start. She doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut."

"Her hair looks like something exploded," Draco said, happy his sister was so invested in the conversation. They had grown apart slightly during their first year, and Draco was trying to rekindle their easy friendship over winter break.

"She can never admit when she's wrong," Carina piped up, the wind whipping her hair in all directions.

Draco continued their game, but Carina found she had quickly lost interest. Hermione had many flaws, that much was obvious.

So why didn't Carina hate her as much as she said she did?

Now

"Ready to die?" Carina asked, trudging through the grass next to Harry.

"Yeah. You."

"Always." Carina answered, her hand finding Harry's. It was a small source of comfort, but the only one she was able to offer him.

"Did you eve figure out what the Snitch did?" Carina asked, referencing the Snitch Dumbledore had left Harry in his will.

"No," Harry admitted, "I didn't."

"I have an idea," Carina said carefully, "it may not work, though."

"I have nothing left to lose," Harry shrugged.

"Tell the Snitch that you're about to die," Carina offered. "This is the close of your life, isn't it?"

"Worth a shot," Harry agreed, taking the Snitch out of his pocket and whispering something to it.

A stone dropped into Harry's hand, and suddenly his eyes glossed over.

"What is it?" Carina asked worriedly. "What happened?"

"It's the Resurrection Stone, Carina," Harry said dazedly. "I see my family."

"Is Lupin there, too?" Carina asked meekly.

"Yes," Harry nodded, eyes fixated on something Carina couldn't see.

"Tell him I love him, would you?" Carina asked. "And that I'm sorry for abandoning his child. This was just something I have to do."

"He says that he understands," Harry informed her, and Carina's grip on his hand tightened. "And he loves you too. And that you should smile—you're prettier when you smile."

"He can see me?" Carina asked, head whipping around, like if she looked hard enough he would suddenly appear.

"Yes," Harry nodded. "Does dying hurt?"

Carina thought for a moment that the question was directed towards her, but quickly realized her mistake.

"It doesn't," Harry told her after a moment. "Dying is as quick and easy as falling asleep."

Carina laughed, but there was no humor in it. "I sure hope it is, Scar Boy."

"I thought we were over that nickname," Harry sighed.

"For old time's sake," Carina said with a shrug.

"Yeah, yeah," Harry laughed.

"I just want you to know," Carina said after a moment, "that I don't completely loathe you."

"That may be the nicest thing you've ever said to me," Harry said with a smile.

"I don't make it a habit to give compliments."

"I've noticed." Harry said dryly. "Now, do me a favor, would you, and die after me? I don't want to see you die, too."

"Ooh," Carina said thoughtfully. "Now I'm tempted to do it, if only to see your face. But alas, I have other plans. Or at least, I will once I come up with something."

"You still don't have a plan?" Harry cried out aghast.

"Nope," Carina grinned at him, and suddenly Harry saw a scared teenager instead of the confident woman he was so used to seeing. And then he looked up, where Carina was sure his parents and Lupin were, calling on all the strength he could muster.

"Try to make it out alive?" Harry asked, turning back towards Carina.

"I'll do my best," Carina promised. "Now hush. We're almost there."

"Goodbye, Carina." Harry said solemnly.

"Goodbye, Harry. See you on the other side."