Chapter Seven

Your laptop lay forgotten on the foot of the bed. The open document with a measly word count of 1184 had been abandoned in favor of reading Jason's notebook under your desk lamp.    

Jason had surprisingly neat handwriting. At the first twenty-something pages, his letters were reminiscent of a child's (not surprising since he apparently had this for his earlier years): big and cute o's and a's, but towards the end the writing became cursive, smooth and widely spaced, resembling a calligraphy font.

And while you expected them to be jagged and messy, his notes were orderly and outlined, and instead of scribbling madly over a mistake he would just draw a horizontal line over it and move on.

His drawings sucked though.

You giggled as you trailed the wings of what was supposed to resemble a witch but instead looked more like a rough drawing of a dog's head on a terrifyingly skinny human girl's body.

You started to read,

'Witches are humans who are direct descendants of a Noble. (There was an asterisk on the side of the paragraph: *Nobles are the great demons mentioned in the Lesser Key of Solomon) The strength and surfacing of power varies per person, but study shows that normally, magic manifests in a witch between the ages of five and ten.

Spell-casting and potion-making aside, special witches called Prodigies are born with unique gifts that can only be learned or possessed by others through decades of intensive training. Known gifts and the famous Prodigies that possess them are listed in the next page.'

You blinked several times. Jason was very detailed with these notes. It was kind of. . .hot.

You turned the page.

'Shadow (*The power to move in/teleport through the darkness and store materials in shadows. It is the rarest gift) - Jack the Ripper, Ivan Braginsky

Authority (*The power to bend even the strongest will to one's own; does not require verbal commands or eye contact; it is the highest level of mind control) – Erik Nylund, Mathias Køhler

Morphing (*The most refined form of mimicry; does not require spells or potions or rituals; however, the witch must still consume DNA of the animal whose form he/she wants to copy) – Adel Richter, Elizabeth Churchill, Craig Hoffman, Alban Dalais, Mary Ann Glover, Francine Bonnefoy

Illusion (*The power to make living beings see, hear, smell, feel and taste things that aren't really there. Users can also manipulate, erase, and replace memories. This gift is a double-edged sword as many witches with this power can get lost in their own illusions) – Sarah Good, Logan Horne, Elizabeth Kirkland, Mary Schneider, Anya Petrov, Etienne Berger

Prodigies master magic faster than normal witches, making them a perfect candidate for becoming their coven's next Head. (*The Head of a coven is in charge of ruling over his/her fellow witches and dealing with political issues with other covens)'

For every page you passed, you drew a small number on the bottom-right corner with a pencil so you wouldn't have trouble locating what you wanted to revisit (you were afraid of using post-its because the paper was thin and old and you didn't want to risk tearing a page).

You consumed every illustration and every unworldly term and definition the notebook had to offer up until your digital clock buzzed from the nightstand, flashing 4-3-0.

Shit, you thought. Your pencil hovered over the page, 132 you scribbled and gently closed the book then reluctantly stood from your chair. You've been on your desk for eight hours straight and now your butt and legs had invisible needles poking them.