Chapter Ten

EDIT: Did you guys know that they're making a TV series based on Heathers? I was excited, but then I saw the teaser and I've never been more disappointed. Tsk, tsk. For the sake of its predecessors, this reboot should self-destruct.

"Someone mind telling me what just happened?" You asked, the first to breath in the frozen air inside Jason's Mustang.

James turned away, ignored you completely. Nothing new. Jason tried to sound nonchalant when he replied, "It's no big deal. We jus erased certain memories."

His answer struck you and you would've shot up if not for your seatbelt. You leaned forward as much as you could. You recalled the affection between the three, how the icicle James relaxed in Amanda's presence; you couldn't believe it. "It is so a big deal! She was like a mother to you." You stared into the rearview mirror but Jason's eyes were fixed on the road. He was quiet. His expression unreadable.

No way. Why would they do that? You curled your fists under your thighs. You wanted to know what drove them to erase themselves from her memory. How they could do that. What was to happen to that woman? She had the right to remember.

The thought about forgetting your parents stung. The thought about them forgetting you burned. Who would ever want to be forgotten?

"It's for the best" Jason's voice was barely above a whisper, like he was afraid that going a volume above that would result in him snapping into angry shouting.

You were too scared to ask anymore. Cursing your weak will, you stayed quiet.

Jason turned on the radio, but that did nothing to ease the tension inside the car. Lulled by the seemingly endless track of depressing songs, you fluttered in and out of consciousness. Unable to keep track of the time, when you woke up for umpteenth time you saw that you've reached New York. More specifically, in the less savory side of the city. The buildings were rotting, the streets were in need of cleaning, and fifty percent of the homeless seemed to wander here. When the car finally stopped, it was in front of an apartment complex badly in need of a paint job.

"All right, princess. We're here." Jason was back to his old self, and you rolled back your shoulders with relief. "Get ready to meet everybody."

James carried your luggage with his and didn't even spare you a glance when you offered to carry them yourself.

Jason pressed the doorbell.

A full minute passed with metal locks being unbolted and turned from the other side.

Four kids pounced on Jason, but their smiles were directed at both Jason and James.

Jason squeezed them with a giant bear hug, "Hiya, missed us?"

"Of course we did! You never visited and you rarely called us, you jerk!"

"You promised to always c-call . . . and . . . and we thought that maybe something happened . . . "

"Wah! We thought you abandoned us!"

"It's been years since we last saw you! Promise us you won't ever leave again"

"Before you guys kill me or James, you need to meet a special guest." He chuckled, giving each of them a pat on the head. He put a hand on your shoulder, "Guys, this is [Name]. She's a good friend so treat her well"

The kids gawked at you, "Is she . . . ?"

"Yup, she's the Gregor."

They examined you carefully, the way a biologist would a new species.