Remind me

Chapter 2:

Remind me

...

Dear diary,

I could still remember her...

...

 "Is it true?"

"Is it true?"

A soft female voice snapped Damon out from his deep musing as he turned to look over his shoulder to see none other than his best friend stood not far behind him. He folded the letter within his hand and tucked it deeply into his pocket, "About what?" he asked, faking his ignorant about what she's referring to. He turned his head back to the view before him and listened to sound of her footstep came closer to him.

"You know what I'm talking about," he heard her said as she took a seat beside him on the veranda.

A ghostly breeze brushed against his cheek as he watched her smoothed out the wrinkles on her skirt from the edge of his blue eyes. She turned her head to meet his gaze and motioned towards the letter inside his pocket, "The letter. You're being drafted didn't you?"

A moment of silence filled the air around them as Damon hung his head down to avoid her stare. Thoughts racing inside his head as he struggled to find a way to justify his decision to join the Confederate. It's true he's being drafted. And he was surprised that he actually made it. But at the same time doubts started to surface deep inside his mind as he rethought of his decision. He knew he's being a coward right now. Accepting any means and opportunity to get away from his father. When he heard of the enlistment, he immediately joined in.

"What if I am?" he murmured as he lifted his head to see her. The orange glow from the sun setting illuminated the two of them as he watched how beautiful she looks under the twilight glow. He could swear he feel his heart skipped a beat at the sight before him. He shook his head to dismiss the dangerous thought and shifted his attention away to the horizon, patiently waiting for the moon to climb up into the skies, "It's an honour to serve our country isn't it?"

Rosalyn tucked her stray hairs behind her ear and hugged her knees close to her chest. She leaned her head on top of her knees and looked deeply at the man sat beside her, contemplating about what his thoughts were. "Have you told Stefan about it?" she asked him as she ignored the cold evening air brushed against her skins.

Noticed the slight shiver from his companion, Damon rolled his eyes at her pathetic attempt of hiding her discomfort and quickly took off his coat. He placed it over her shoulder and rubbed both of her arms to warm her, "No yet. But I will...eventually."

A hint of frown appeared on her face as the hesitation inside his voice but nodded, accepting his answer as it is while she wrapped herself with his coat. He withdrew his hands back to his side and looked back at the dark skies, "You'll look after him, won't you?"