Chapter 2

Chapter 2

He'd been walking non-stop for almost a week. He didn't know where to go. He supposed he could try and find a motel or something. Charles had continued driving, spending the days in towns along the way. He was standing in a motel lobby, waiting to check in. Erik stumbled into the motel, his hair dripping from the recent rain. He shivered and slowly got in line. Charles glanced back at him. Erik didn't look up. He just waited for his turn. Charles got one room for them; one with two double beds. Erik slowly shuffled up to the desk and asked for a room. He was confused when they said he already had one. Charles pressed a key into Erik's hand. He started walking.

"H-Hey....," Erik managed, following him, "What're you doing?"

"Helping."

Erik stopped and crossed his arms, "I don't need your help."

"Alright. Pay for your own room, then. I'm sure it'll take most of your savings."

"You don't know how much money I have."

Charles shrugged. He opened the door to his room with his key.

Erik huffed and followed him in, "But I mean it'd be a waste...."

"No, no, by all means. Go be independent and get your own."

Erik hurried into the room, "You already paid for it, it'd be rude not to."

"But you don't really care about being rude."

"New leaf," Erik shrugged, before hopping onto the bed and burying himself in the comforter.

Charles rolled his eyes. He locked the door. "You haven't traveled very far. I had time to go home and pack."

"You know, genius, walking is very slow business."

"And there's the rudeness. So much for that new leaf."

Erik sat up and glared at him, "Well, come on! You don't have to point out how fast you can travel with your fancy new car and that stick up your ass."

Charles rolled his eyes. He grabbed pajamas and went to change. Erik pouted in his bed. He just wanted to be in California. Charles wandered out a moment later. Erik hummed softly and then scrambled out of bed, going for the other boy's backpack. If he could just take a little. Five hundred, even. Maybe he could take a train for part of the way. Charles stared at him. "What are you doing?"

"Okay, first of all, why the fuck did you just leave the room for like, two seconds?" Erik stared back at him. It was sort of obvious seeing as he had a handful of cash that wasn't his.

"Because I was just changing my clothes... why the fuck are you in my bag, stealing my things?"

"I have the right to remain silent?" Erik tried.

Charles shook his head. "I can't believe I was actually going to help you..."

Erik frowned, "You weren't gonna help me! You hate me! And I don't need help by the way!"

"Good, because you aren't getting any."

"Good, I didn't want it."

"Good. Get out."

"Nope! Too bad, you bought me the room."

"I bought myself the room."

"No take-backs."

Charles grabbed his arm. "Get out."

"No!"

Charles pulled him to the door and opened it.