Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Erik was dozing in the front seat of Charles' car as they drove. Things had been going well. It was a lot of fun. Charles was slowly building up a number of disposable cameras. He bought them in every city they stopped in. He'd get them developed when they got to California. Erik shifted and mumbled in his sleep. He hadn't been having very good dreams lately. Charles glanced at him, but drove.

"Charles....?" Erik asked softly, "Did your parents ever tell you...weird stuff?"

"Huh? Like what?"

"I dunno...," Erik murmured, "Like...weird things...."

"Like... what weird things?"

Erik stared out the window, "When I was little...I'd sit with my father in the yard and he'd....he'd tell me about all these things he could see...."

Charles frowned slightly and drove.

Erik blinked slowly, "And then...well, Mama, she didn't know of course, it was our secret....but he gave me this little snack....and all of a sudden, I could see it too....but no one else could...."

Charles frowned. "Did your dad drug you?"

"No, no, he would never...."

"What snack did he give you...?"

"I don't remember," Erik said softly, "They took him away when I was seven...."

Charles frowned. "I'm sorry."

"Then...all of a sudden, you know, it wasn't 'safe' I guess," Erik said softly, "They didn't want my father finding his way back to me....I dunno why....but, they took me from my mother after she....died...."

"I'm sorry..."

Erik nodded slightly, "He wouldn't....he wouldn't drug me would he....?"

"I don't know..."

Erik returned to staring out the window, "I just....I mean....they must've screwed something up..."

Charles drove quietly. "Is your dad in California?"

Erik was silent for a long time, "He sent me a postcard from California when I was twelve....I figured he must still be here."

"So that's why you want to go..."

"I just want to see if he's still there....I mean, I want to be on my own."

Charles nodded slightly. "But your dad won't want you to be on your own. I mean, I don't think he will. So what will you do?"

"I'll....I don't know," Erik said softly, "I mean, he's not allowed to have me...."

"Right...."

"I want to be on my own. I don't need my dad. I don't need anyone."

Charles just drove silently.

Erik sighed quietly, "I'm just....done with a lot of people. Besides, Tony said I wasn't gonna be able to be on my own and look at me now!"

"Who's Tony...?"

"One of the other kids at the orphanage."

"Oh..."

Erik nodded, "They all said the same thing that you did...."

"Sorry..."

"I don't believe them," Erik said quietly, "My father wouldn't do that to me."

Charles didn't say anything. He reached for the radio and found a station that Erik would like.

Erik leaned against the window and tapped his fingers, "What happened to your parents?"