Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Charles woke up in a hospital, incredibly confused and on a concoction of medications. Erik was still unconscious. The doctors were doing all they could to try and make sure he'd survive but he'd lost so much blood.

"Erik," Charles murmured. The nurses tried to keep him calm. "No... I... no... where's Erik....?"

"Your friend's just in another room," the nurse said reassuringly, "Relax."

Charles sniffled. "What happened...?"

"You two were in a very bad car accident."

Charles panicked again. "Is Erik okay?"

The nurse squeezed his hand gently, "He's being taken care of, he's in good hands. Relax. You're both safe."

Charles nodded slowly. "Okay... okay..."

"How are you feeling?"

"I just want Erik..."

"You have to tell me how you're feeling first. You hit your head hard, you've most likely got a concussion. Thankfully, you weren't thrown from your seat."

Charles sniffled. "I... I don't know. Everything hurts."

"It probably does," the nurse nodded, "We'll give you more painkillers. Once you feel a little better you can see your friend."

"Okay..."

The nurse nodded, "Get some rest."

Charles slowly fell asleep as the drugs took effect. The doctors were still monitoring Erik. He'd cracked his skull and broken some of his ribs and his leg. They didn't want to have to show the other boy his friend's state. It wouldn't go well. Charles stayed in his room, unconscious most of the time. Erik eventually woke up and was instantly crying in pain. His entire body ached. Charles was sitting up, eating slowly. He was doing a little better. Some of the nurses tried to soothe him but he was flailing as best he could, shaking his head and crying in pain. He was going to have to be sedated. Charles looked up when his nurse came to take his lunch tray away. "When can I see Erik...?"

"Well....we're not sure...."

"Why not...?"

"Your friend's been put on sedatives until he's healed a little more."

"I won't wake him up..."

"We're not worried that you will. However if the sedative wears off, he will wake up. And we're not sure if we want you in the room for that."

"What...? Why?"

The nurse was about to speak when Erik's dose of sedatives wore off and he started screaming and crying in pain again.

Charles heard him. He tensed up immediately. "I need to see him."

"Charles...we really don't recommend you go in there..."

"I need to!"

"He needs rest."

"I'll calm him down."

The nurse glanced at him, "You're feeling okay?"

"Let me see him!"

The nurse slowly took Charles to Erik's room where doctors were getting the next dose of sedatives ready. Charles was in a wheelchair temporarily. He rolled over to Erik's bed, shaking. Erik was laying in the bed, crying and begging them to make the pain stop. Everything hurt. Charles slowly reached for Erik's hand and held it. Erik's eyes landed on him and he squeezed his hand tighter. Charles held Erik's hand and looked at him. Erik kept his eyes on him until they'd refilled his IV, and in just a few moments, he was unconscious. Charles decided he wouldn't leave Erik's side. Erik slept a lot. One of the doctors sat down by Charles.

"May I ask you about your friend, Mr. Xavier?"

Charles looked at the doctor. "Okay..."

"We've found slight damage to his brain," the doctor nodded, "But not near the point of impact of his head from the accident. Has he had a history of taking drugs?"

Charles frowned. "Yeah... when he was a kid, his dad used to drug him... He was taken away from his dad, and he doesn't do them now..."

The doctor nodded slightly, "The damage isn't too critical which is good. He's a lucky boy."

Charles smiled meekly. "Is he going to be okay...?"

The doctor nodded slightly, "Yes. He's in a lot of pain but he'll heal and be alright."

Charles sighed in relief. "Okay..."

The doctor nodded, "Get some rest. You'll need it."

"I'm going to stay with him."

The doctor could tell it would be no use. He backed off for now, figuring Charles would rest when he needed. Charles held Erik's hand carefully and looked at him. Erik was asleep again, he wouldn't wake until later that evening.

"You're gonna get on a train when you're better," Charles whispered. "You'll be safe there, far away from me..."

Erik stayed still, his hand limp in Charles'. Charles slowly rubbed his thumb along the back of Erik's hand and looked at him. Erik eventually blinked his eyes open, a pained whine escaping him as he shifted. Charles stayed quiet. Erik's grip on his hand tightened and he glanced over at Charles, "Charles....?"

"I'm here..."

"What happened?"

"We were in a car accident... the other driver hit us on your side..."

Erik sniffled, "I remember....I....I hit the ground...."

Charles nodded slightly. "But we're okay..."

Erik nodded, "Want to.....go to...our house."

Charles swallowed silently.

"I....want to go home..."

"I know..."

Erik sniffled, "Take me home....please...."

"You have to get better first... we both do..."

Erik nodded slightly, relaxing again, "Okay...."

Charles sighed softly. He wouldn't upset Erik now.

Erik gave him a small smile, "Hey....uh...what's the date....?"

Charles looked at the calendar and told him.

Erik sniffled softly and looked away, "Oh...."

"Why...?"

"I missed my birthday."

Charles smiled meekly. "We'll still celebrate when you're better... and, hey, you aren't a fugitive anymore. You'll leave here free."

Erik nodded slightly, "Yes....good...."

Charles just sat and held his hand.

Erik squeezed his hand gently and shut his eyes, "It'll be good...."

"Yeah..."

Erik smiled slightly and hummed, "I've never been in a car accident....."

"Well... I guess you have now..."

Erik nodded, "That's for sure."

Charles fell silent again.