Chapter 3 ~ New Surroundings

The golden rays of the sun met the cerulean waves of the ocean below us, creating a picturesque scene of color and light. Even the reflection on the water gave off an unparalleled warmth. Nightwing stretched out her wings, letting the wind carry her across the sky. Hookfang hovered slightly above us, leading the way to Dragon's Edge.

Snotlout finally broke the silence, glancing back at me. "Hey, Brenna?" He called. "Yeah?" "Can I ask you something?" He asked, hesitation lacing his generally confident tone. "Shoot." I answered. The boy cleared his throat. "Where are your parents? I mean, I just always see you with Gothi and you never say anything about your mom and dad....so I was just curious. You don't have to answer though...if you don't want to." He finished, almost uncomfortably. I bit back my smile, knowing what he must be thinking. His consideration was sweet though, so I urged Nightwing forward so that I could meet his eyes while I answered his question. "They aren't dead, Snotlout, at least not both of them. Their names are Erik and Ingrid Derganson. My father was lost at sea when I was a baby, so I've never known him. My mother lives on the hill next to Astrid's parents and she is constantly tending our farm animals. We're just always so busy, we never really have time to do anything together except eat dinner. My mother makes the best chicken stew, and she's taught me all of what I know about tending a household one day. She really is a talented woman. So yeah...I'm sorry I never told you. I just kinda assumed you knew." I admitted softly. Snotlout smiled reassuringly. "Oh right! I know Ingrid! It's okay. I'm glad you told me. I'm sorry about your dad though." He said. "Thank you, Snotlout."

The rest of the trip to Dragon's Edge was relatively uneventful aside from Snotlout pointing out some of the new discoveries the group had found on small unmarked islands around the territory. He informed me about the Speed Stingers, a species of dragons who traveled in packs and couldn't fly but had venom in the sharp tip of their tails that was strong enough to paralyze its victims, and Death Songs, dragons who lured their prey to an island with a sort of call that sounded like a song. Of course, those were only a few of the many. "You guys are certainly making history out here." I finally remarked. Snotlout nodded, "I guess so. It is really cool, and I'm excited you get to see Dragon's Edge. I think you'd really like it." He responded. "I appreciate you inviting me." I added thoughtfully. We exchanged a smile and then I turned back around, realizing we were steadily drawing closer to a massive island. It was decorated with huge colorful huts and buildings, and I could vaguely see the small dragons flying from rooftop to rooftop. "Is that..." I trailed off in complete awe of the scene before me.

Despite everything I had heard about this place, I hadn't expected anything as masterfully done as this. "Brenna Derganson, welcome to Dragon's Edge." Snotlout whispered, pointing toward the long stretch of beach, forest, and mountain landscape. Golden sand sparkled along the coastline, in stark contrast to the cyan waters that enclosed the island. Emerald trees stood erect against the clear sky, dark and lush even as autumn was in full swing. Sharp rock ledges, rolling hills, and towering gray mountains dotted the environment. "Wow..." That small word was the only utterance I could manage. Hookfang flapped closer to us. "You like it?" Snotlout asked hesitantly, as if he couldn't already tell by my facial expression. "I-I love it! It's so pretty..." I murmured, fascinated. "Great! Let's go!" My friend laughed, surging forward with his dragon toward the island. I giggled, doing the same.

Both creatures landed on an iron platform in front of the armory, and Snotlout and I each dismounted from our respective pets. A flash of onyx scales flew over us, circling the building before swooping to land directly in front of it. It was Hiccup and Toothless. "Hey Snotlout, glad you're back, I could use some help with our Monstrous Nightmare gel storage." The green eyed boy smiled at his cousin, then turned to me. "Brenna! What are you doing here? It's great to see you!" Hiccup greeted me, getting down from Toothless' back and giving me a great big bear hug. I smiled happily, embracing my friend back tightly. "Snotlout invited me, and for once I wasn't busy with medical duties." Hiccup grinned. "That's fantastic Brenna! I am sorry, but I do have some work to do on Toothless' tail today. And I have to do a supply run to Berk with Astrid. Is it okay if Snotlout shows you around?" He apologized. "Of course Hiccup! I know you are all busy, and I don't want to interrupt anything by coming here. As long as you don't have anything Snotlout has to do that I'll be taking time away from, I don't mind at all." I replied. Hiccup smiled in what appeared to be relief. "Okay good. Thanks Brenna!" The auburn haired male said, clasping my arms with his hands.