Chapter 14 ~ Captured Hearts

Snotlout POV

As Snotlout walked home from his date with Brenna, he was left alone with his thoughts for the first time in a long while. He was happy, with his successes and life, and all everyone had achieved in such a short time. But as he watched his friends growing up and becoming involved with other people, he realized something was still missing. Even though he didn't want to admit it, he knew what it was. Brenna. She was everything he had ever wanted in someone and more. She had always been there, encouraging him, challenging him. It was something he had known for years now, ever since he met her. Yet, for whatever reason he kept avoiding a relationship with the healer apprentice. Part of him felt as though she was too good for him. So he tried to ignore the feeling that appeared whenever she was around. The throbbing of his heart, the heat rising to his neck. All those strange, tingly emotions. He even attempted to go after other girls. Granted the kiss with Helle had been a mistake, a dare she had been given by Tuff and Ruff and nothing more than that. But Snotlout liked Minden, not as much as Brenna, but enough. They had some things in common, and she had made the first move. They hung out for some time, and Snotlout hoped it may actually make Brenna jealous to see if she would react, but she never acted different toward him, so he eventually started to give up. Either way, he and the Wingmaiden finally decided not to pursue an actual relationship, figuring it was best to stay friends on account of two reasons. For one thing, Snotlout would always choose Berk and Minden would always choose the Wingmaidens, and also, Minden knew Snotlout was in love with Brenna. She had told him so. She was not angry. In fact, to a degree she had appeared relieved, and she set him free. On their last day together, she looked him in the eyes and told him, "Go after her...follow your heart." Snotlout wished he had done what she had said. Instead, he continued to watch from afar, admiring the healer, like a coward.

When he saw Brenna earlier that day, he actually noticed Gustav making his way toward her, this time with flowers and a jeweled necklace. Clenching his fists, Snotlout knew he had to act or he would lose her forever. He refused to go down without a fight, throwing the younger boy a look, and approaching Brenna himself. Gustav rolled his eyes and backed away, grumbling under his breath. Snotlout mustered up all his courage, fully intending on asking Brenna out, and instead he created another mess for himself, passing the whole date off as practice for one with Minden. Snotlout mentally face palmed as soon as the words came out. Despite this and to the man's delight, Brenna accepted his offer, agreeing to meet up later that night.

He went home and dressed in his finest attire, but Brenna looked as beautiful as she always did when he arrived with Hookfang at her door for their date. During the evening he had felt a whirlwind of emotions, all because of the beautiful girl in front of him. He had taken her to a hot springs, a new place he had discovered one morning patrolling the archipelago. Steamy, warm, quiet, and secluded, but with a safe pool to swim in and relax. It was perfect. He wanted her to see it all, with him by her side. He was amused by his friend's actions throughout the night, particularly when she had poked lighthearted fun at Minden's expense. But chasing her through the water was a whole other adventure. He couldn't help but stare at the young woman before him, with her dark hair cascading in free flowing waves around her head, water glistening over her face and glittering on her lips and eyelashes, and a devious smirk revealing pretty white teeth. The viking boy paused in their game to admire her as she floated in the lake, until his vision of beauty was shattered by his very own dragon. Hookfang mischievously brought his tail crashing down into the water, creating massive tidal waves that swept him off his feet, literally.