Chapter 5 ~ A Merry Snoggletog Indeed

Winter had come to Berk, and with it was the inevitable disappearance of our dragons

Winter had come to Berk, and with it was the inevitable disappearance of our dragons. We had come to expect waking up one morning to find the creatures gone, having left home to lay their eggs and hatch their young on a temperate island south of Berk, leaving the cold village eerily silent despite our holiday celebrations. The dragons would leave for about two weeks each time, somehow always returning on the evening of our grand Snoggletog feast, bringing their new babies home with them for us vikings to enjoy. It had been about a month since my integration with the dragon riders, though nothing too exciting had come up that they needed me for, so I busied myself with my studies. However, with Snoggletog approaching, everyone was getting into the holiday spirit, so I soon found that decorating the village was a nice distraction. I missed Nightwing, but thankfully the other riders had come back home for the holiday, so I was able to spend time with everyone, just enjoying the company of my friends and family.

The night of Snoggletog arrived sooner than we planned, the dinner hall decorated with gold, scarlet, and emerald decorations. Even the shields and swords were festive, covered in trees and presents. And of course, no Snoggletog was complete without Astrid's complimentary Yaknog drink. Everyone in Berk dreaded this one aspect of Snoggletog, since Astrid's Yaknog tasted of raw eggs and milk that had sat too long in the sun. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it tasted like death itself, so I accepted the drink excitedly. She had many talents, yes, but cooking was unfortunately not one of them. I was standing alone beside one of the large wooden posts decorated with a pretty garland, looking up at the lights and enjoying the sound of the quiet hum of people engaging in conversations all around me. A warm hand gently rested on my lower arm, pulling me out of my thoughts. I looked to my right, coming face to face with my closest male friend. "Snotlout! Happy Snoggletog!" I exclaimed, pulling him in for a hug. He grinned, "Happy Snoggletog to you too, Brenna!"

The two of us broke apart from each other, and he placed his hand behind his back once again. "I have something for you." Snotlout began. I raised my eyebrow in interest. "Oh Snotlout, you didn't have to get me anything..." I stammered. He rolled his eyes. "I know I didn't have to...but I wanted to. Close your eyes." He demanded. I sighed and did as asked, holding out my hands as well to accept my present. Something reasonably heavy and long was placed in one of my hands. It felt cool and sleek against the skin of my palm. Something wider was placed in the other hand, and when I shifted my arm I could feel an object move inside of it. "Okay, open." Snotlout gave me the okay to look at my present. Once again, I did as directed, opening my eyes only to find myself gasping in bewilderment. He had given me the bow and arrow set that I had used on the first day I traveled to Dragon's Edge. Somehow he had even managed to tie a simple gift ribbon around each object. "I know it isn't much, but it's sort of hard to wrap something like that." He chuckled. I grinned back, gently untying the ribbon and examining the gifts themselves.

The bow was crafted of a shiny black metal, with the same matching arrows and a onyx leather and silver scabbard. The arrows glinted dangerously under the lantern lights hanging over our heads, yet they also possessed an elegance that I had rarely seen with any weapon, except perhaps the sword hanging on my hip. "I asked Gobber to restring the bow and sharpen the arrows for you. It should all be good as new." My friend explained. "They're beautiful...Thank you, Snotlout." I murmured, unable to tear my gaze away from the presents. Having stared at them long enough, I realized with a start that I had a present for him as well. "I've got something for you too!" I said excitedly. Carefully, I placed the bow and arrows on the floor next to my leg, leaning them against the post so that they weren't damaged.