Chapter 11 ~ Rekindling The Fire

Nothing occurred during the following months after the incident with the assassin that caused me any more fright, though I continued to look over my shoulder every now and again. On Berk, I continued to study healing, knowing that soon Gothi would be preparing me to become an official healer.

Meanwhile, many problems has arisen on the Edge concerning Ryker, Viggo, Krogan, the flyers, and even Johann, all of whom had attacked the riders numerous times in search of the Dragon Eye. In saying that, Berk had many allies now, including the Wingmaidens, Mala and the Defenders of the Wing, Dagur and the Berserker clan, and more. Even Astrid and Hiccup had finally admitted their feelings for one another, and were soon betrothed. With everyone working together, the Dragon Eye had been destroyed and the King of Dragons was safe. Stoick had fallen ill, and needed Hiccup and the other riders to return to Berk. They all did so happily, and Berk greeted them with celebrations beyond anyone could imagine. As much as I was proud of them all, I could not hide my relief that they had finally come home for good. The past couple years without them always on the island had felt empty. Thankfully, that was changing, and Stoick would be on the mend, as good as new.

With everyone coming home, more new relationships began to blossom. After all, we were all growing up. It would be wise to begin to think about settling down with someone. And of course, spring causes many emotions to awaken. Queen Mala soon invited the riders to her wedding, the lucky man being none other than her very own soldier, Throk. Dagur and Helle had started to flirt even more amongst themselves. Somehow, even Eris and Tuffnut had hit it off. And to no one's surprise, Heather and Fishlegs even became a couple. To my dismay though, Snotlout had been hung up on one of the Wingmaidens from Wingmaiden Island. Whenever she visited Berk, she was constantly hanging on his arm. Strangely, they weren't actually dating though. I was so confused by Snotlout at this point, I was just ready to give up.

Of course, I tried to contain my anger and disappointment, but Astrid knew something was wrong. So finally she decided to ask one day while we were training together with Heather. Even Heather knew I was angry when I knocked an axe right out of her hand, sending it flying into a nearby log. "Alright, Brenna, what's going on with you?" My best friend asked, lowering her weapon. I growled incoherently as I tossed my sword onto the grass below me. "Nothing." I muttered. Heather placed her hand on my shoulder. "Come on Brenna, you know you can tell us anything." She added. "Do you want to fly around and talk about it?" Astrid asked. I thought about it for a second and then nodded slowly, whistling for Nightwing. My dragon strided over, lowering her neck for me to mount her.

Astrid and Heather called to Stormfly and Windshear, and soon we were all in the air, soaring through and around nearby sea stacks. "So, are you going to tell us what's wrong?" Heather prompted. Taking a deep breath, I answered her question. "I...I just...Snotlout and I have been friends for such a long time, and we've done so much together...yet nothing I do seems to be enough for him to see me as anything other than a friend." I explained. Astrid cut in, "He loo-" I interrupted her, knowing what she was going to say. "I know you said he looks at me like I look at him, but if that's true, then why hasn't he said anything to me about it? And what does that Wingmaiden have that I don't?" I rambled, frustrated. There was a pause before either girl replied to my questions."He's just...being a typical guy, Brenna. He can sometimes be blinded to what's standing right in front of him." Heather told me. I sighed, knowing this already. "Yeah...but something tells me that Minden will be leaving soon, and Snotlout honestly hasn't been himself lately. It's like he's trying to fill some kind of void." Astrid remarked. "What do you mean?" I turned to look at her. "Whatever is going on between him and Minden just seems off. So just...keep that in mind." She answered calmly. I nodded in response fixing my eyes on the sea below.