Chapter 15 ~ Flames & Steel

Knowing our time was ticking, Snotlout and I ran back up the paths and hills to the top of the island, searching for our friends. "Hiccup and Astrid were in the Great Hall earlier, and Fishlegs is probably in the Dragon training arena, since that is where he teaches the children most days." Snotlout commented. "And Ruff and Tuff are probably back in their shop." I added, jogging at his side. He nodded in affirmative. "I'll get Hiccup, Astrid, and Fishlegs. You get Ruff and Tuff. Let's meet outside the Great Hall to form a plan." "Okay, I'll see you there!" I agreed, taking a sharp turn to my left to head back in the direction of Ruffnut and Tuffnut's flea market. Thankfully, I wasn't too far away from them, and arrived within a few more moments.

The twins were not fighting when I approached the second time. In fact, they were looking rather bored and tired, with no customers to entertain at this time of day. It was still too early for many people to have any enthusiasm for much of anything, particularly a random assortment of goods. "Guys! Quick! I need your help! It's about my dragon!" I shouted as I approached. Both sat at attention immediately, knowing that I would not joke about something so serious. "What's happened?" Tuffnut asked, standing up and running around from behind the counter. "Nightwing was kidnapped. I need your help to get her back. Please...." Tears came to my eyes again, feeling distraught at this point because I knew where she was and the sort of fate that would befall her if we did not act quickly. Ruff followed her brother. "We've got your back Brenna! We'll follow you." She said, patting my shoulder. I placed my hand over hers in appreciation. "Thank you guys, I can't tell you how much that means to me." Nodding once more, I turned around, leading the twins up the hill in the direction of the Great Hall.

We got to the top of the slope in no time, and surprisingly we only had to wait a few minutes for the others to get there too. During that time, I paced back and forth, unease lacing through the entirety of my body. When Snotlout arrived with Hiccup, Astrid, and Fishlegs, he immediately came to a stop at my side, standing close enough to brush arms. "Okay, so Snotlout gave us a brief synopsis of what happened with Nightwing, but what's going on with Magnus Bloodsword? What can you tell us about him?" Hiccup asked. I sighed, knowing I would have to tell the story from the beginning. How I had met the man, when it happened, the guy who tried to assassinate me near the Edge. All of it. So I did. I recounted every detail to the small group of riders, now understanding that keeping it all a secret had been a mistake. But I refused to let Nightwing pay the price of my wrongdoings.

The group listened on quietly until I was finished, but the looks on their faces betrayed their emotions. They were furious. "That mangy, good for nothing..." Astrid began. "I'm sorry for not telling you guys, but I never thought anything like this could happen. It's not like he had an army with him last time we met." A sickening feeling had settled into my stomach, making my entire body feel heavy and dark. It seemed as if my guts were moving of their own accord, twisting and tossing within my abdomen with no remorse. I sensed it was because of how horrible it felt knowing I was the one responsible for getting Nightwing into such a mess, and for having to drag my friends into it now as well. "It's not your fault, Brenna. We've all been there. You couldn't have known what he was going to do, and no one blames you for that." Hiccup said, trying to comfort me. I nodded, listening to my leader. "The important thing now is that we have to free Nightwing. Everyone get your dragons. We leave immediately." He continued. "Do you think we should get Eret, Heather, Valka, and Eris?" Fishlegs pointed out. "Power in numbers, ya know?" Snotlout shook his head. "Probably not, we need strong warriors to stay here and protect the village from any ambush attacks. Odin knows how many times we've learned that lesson." Astrid nodded. "I can't believe I am saying this, but Snotlout is right. They need to stay behind, prepare people for a counter attack. Can you go let Heather know? Ask her to spread the word." She asked Fishlegs. The tall man shook his head in affirmative and whistled for Meatlug, calling his dragon. The rest of the group followed suit, and soon nine dragons surrounded us, including Toothless, Stormfly, Meatlug, Barf and Belch. Hookfang looked completely distraught, looking around wildly with his pupils narrowed to fine slits. To my suprise, Duskwing, Flameshadow, and Stormfang appeared behind their father. Oh no... I stepped forward, reaching out to rub each of their noses. They weren't babies anymore, that's true, but I couldn't stand the idea of any of them getting hurt. Still, it was apparent they knew something was wrong, and they wouldn't leave Hookfang's side. Fishlegs and Meatlug left to go do as Astrid had requested, alerting his girlfriend of the impending situation.