Chapter 18 ~ New Beginnings

Thankfully, the Midnight Sun was over before I knew it, and Snotlout and I found ourselves in the awkward predicament of apologizing to each other for things that were completely out of our control and out of our character. To my surprise, my boyfriend was the first one to bring up the subject, visiting me in Gothi's hut the day after we had both had the chance at a blissful night of well earned sleep. "Hey, Brenna." Snotlout's face appeared around the side of the hut where the ladder is. "Hello, love." I greeted him, sitting down on a nearby stool. "These past couple weeks were crazy, right?" He rubbed his arm shyly. "Yeah, you could say that." I conceded, shrugging my shoulders. "Listen, I know I said and did some things...things I didn't necessarily mean..." He began.

Tilting my head, I waited for him to go on, not wanting to cut off his sentence. "I was way too emotional, and I yelled at you. I am not a King, and in no way are you beneath me. You deserve the world. I am so sorry." His gaze flicked from my eyes to the floor, and then back again, clenching his fist. I shook my head, standing up and walking over to look into his eyes. "I said some things too. I shouted at you and slammed the door on you when you needed my help. I am sorry for being so cruel to you. But there's nothing for me to forgive you for. What we did was because of the Midnight Sun and sleep deprivation. I know you didn't actually mean what you said." I expressed. Snotlout gave a small smile, dipping his head in acceptance. "I know you didn't mean any of it either. But I probably deserved it anyway. I guess you're right though. You're the best, babe." His arms wound around my body and wrapped me in a warm embrace. "You better believe it," I winked at him, draping my arms over his shoulders in response.

Winter arrived a couple weeks later, and with it, the we prepared for the departure of our dragons once more. This time, Nightwing and Hookfang left Berk together, with their first set of children in tow. I almost cried when I watched them leave, realizing that in such a short time, the trio of dragon babies were all grown up. Duskwing, Flameshadow, and Stormfang would be in search of their own mates. Snotlout and I watched them go together, standing at the edge of a cliff overlooking the sea, our fingers intertwined at our sides as the swarm of dragons flew off into the sunset. "Is this how our parents feel when they see us?" I couldn't help but wonder aloud, watching the five dragons flapping their wings until they were just specks of black hovering far away. "Probably..." He replied. I glanced over, noticing his own eyes had water lining his lid. "Aw, love..." I murmured, letting go of his hand and instead wrapping it around his body. His own wrapped around my waist, and I leaned my head on his shoulder, reaching up with my other hand to press it against his chest. "Shut up..." He chuckled, wiping the moisture away. "It's just a bug..." He retorted. I rolled my eyes, "Right..." I replied, knowing he was full of yak dung.

We stayed there for some time, the sun going down in the distance, pink and purple clouds covering it up. Stars began to glint overhead, and the noise of the village dimmed as people began to head home for the night for dinner and such. "I've missed this," I admitted. Snotlout nodded, grasping my fingers and squeezing them in his own. "Me too." He agreed quietly. There was a long pause. "We should do something tomorrow. Are you free?" He inquired. "Probably. What do you have in mind?" My curiosity was piqued at this. "I don't know...maybe we could go...oh no, we need a dragon for that...or...nope, nevermind...what about..." He trailed off, appearing deep in thought as he attempted to figure out something we could do or go to without our dragons. But the truth is, we didn't need to go anywhere or do anything special. "Snotlout..." I said, pulling him out of his head. "Yeah?" He wondered. "All we need is each other. I just enjoy your company..." I told him. "Yeah, but you deserve the world! I want to be that guy, you know..." He confessed, casting his gaze in the opposite direction as his sentence trailed off.