Chapter 7 ~ Music of the Night

A/N:   Song 1 starts at 3:45, Song 2 starts at 2:23, Song 3 at 0:00

  The end of the following week came far sooner than expected. Stoick had chosen Helle, daughter of Floki Halldor, and Eris, the daughter of Reyna Ragnhild to sing with me at the dance. Both were strong, beautiful girls, the same age as me. Helle had dark auburn curls that fell halfway down her back, and striking emerald eyes that seemed as if they could see into your soul. She had a lithe figure, perfect for her occupation, as she was one of the women responsible for teaching the younger village girls how to fight. Eris, on the other hand, had long, straight hair the color of a Night Fury's scales, a deep black as dark as a moonless night. Her eyes were a warm copper, and her smile was absolutely stunning. Eris was taller than Helle and I, and there was a ferocity in her eyes that reminded me of Astrid. She was a skilled warrior as well as a fisherman's daughter. It was truly an honor to be selected by Stoick to perform with such talented women.

Both of their voices were those of songbirds, melodic and elegant as we practiced the songs Gothi had recommended for the celebration. The band would play all night, but the two songs we would sing as a group were a combination of gaelic and english lyrics. One was called "Níl Sé'n Lá," and the other was "Téir Abhaile Riú," they were songs that had been passed down from generation to generation, but I hadn't heard them since I was little. Helle, Eris, and I had practiced the performance day after day, until it was nearly perfect.

Finally, all of the hard work was about to pay off. The evening of the coming of age celebration had arrived. My mother and Gothi both helped me to get ready for my big night, styling my hair in an elaborate braid and placing a silver moon headband directly above it. The gown I picked for the event was one that my mother had crafted for me to wear for this specific occasion. It was made of dark blue velvet with long sleeves that trailed the ground. Intricate silver designs created a band around my upper arms and along my collar. To set it off, a sash made of delicate silver chains and round disks wrapped around my waist and dangled over my navel and down the front of my gown. On each disk was a different type of dragon, symbolizing the various creatures that lived in our world. I absolutely fell in love with the outfit, and I couldn't help but feel a bit proud of my appearance.

No sooner had I finished donning my slippers, there was a soft knock on the door to my hut. I felt my heart stop in my chest as I met my mother's eyes. "He's here. You look stunning, my daughter." I grinned back, unable to hide my blush. Snotlout was standing just outside. I hadn't seen him since the day we sat by the waterfall. "Thanks, mom. I love you." I whispered. "I love you too." She said. Her arms wrapped around my shoulders as she gave me a hug. I hugged her back, then pulled away to hug my aunt. Only...Gothi wasn't standing behind me anymore. "Mom, where did Aunt Gothi go?" I asked, feeling a sense of faint fear enter my heart. She shrugged her shoulders in response. Oh no... I dashed to the front door, swinging it open to find that Gothi was standing next to Snotlout, holding his ear down to her level and shoving his face toward the runes she had drawn on the ground. "I got it! I got it! Hurt Brenna and I'll wish I was dead!" Snotlout shouted. Gothi looked up, seeing me standing in the doorway, and let go of the boy's ear. She gave me a mischievous smile and stepped away from my friend, placing her small hands on my arms. She nodded at me, gray blue eyes boring into mine with a glint of happiness and pride, and I understood what she was saying. "Thank you Gothi. I love you too." I told her.