Chapter 10 ~ Dragon's Song

A few months went by after Astrid's near death incident, and soon the brisk autumn breeze had encompassed Berk and the surrounding archipelago once more. Nightwing and Hookfang's babies had grown to nearly their full size, but somehow they all managed to fit comfortably in their cavern under the cliff. They had thankfully learned how to start taking care of themselves, making Snotlout and I both happy and yet nostalgic at the same time. Sadly, as autumn begins, more Berkians were steadily getting sick due to a variety of ailments and allergens. Gothi and I were meeting ourselves coming and going, treating more and more vikings every afternoon. Some were simple remedies, like poppy seed for pain and aching muscles. Others were a bit more complex, involving a number of different herbs and plants, including the rare moonroot.

Moonroot was an opaque white flower that glowed a pale blue at night, with dark green stems. Very little grew on Berk, and our collection was quickly dwindling. Noticing this, I turned to my aunt, the jar of flowers in hand. "Do you want me to go to Dragon's Edge? Fishlegs mentioned there's some Moonroot there last time I saw him." I pointed out. Gothi looked at me knowingly, not buying my excuse as to why I wanted to journey to the Edge. Even still, she rolled her eyes and nodded, waving me off to go on my quest. "Thanks aunt Gothi! I'll be back!" I smiled, whistling for Nightwing. The azure dragon appeared at my side instantly, ruffling her stiff wings. "Ready to go see Hookfang, girl?" I asked her. She blew steam from her nostrils in response. "That's the spirit!" I muttered, hoisting myself up and into her saddle.

The familiar flight from Berk to Dragon's Edge was relaxing as the sun set in the distance. As Nightwing and I approached the island, another massive shape was heading in our direction, a high pitched screeching and squealing sound along with it. Nightwing lifted her head, sniffing the air. Her violet pupils narrowed as she took in the scent. I looked back up at the shape drawing closer, and my own eyes widened in intrigue. It was Hookfang and Snotlout, slowly circling above the water, near enough to touch it. "Hey Snotlout!" I called, waving at the other rider from atop Nightwing's neck.

He turned, visibly breathing a sigh of what seemed to be relief, and steered Hookfang in my direction. Hookfang's eyes narrowed in happiness as he glided over to Nightwing and I, hovering in the air in front of us. "Brenna! What are you doing out here?" Snotlout asked happily. "I was coming to collect some Moonroot for Gothi. It's best seen at night, and there's a lot growing in the forest on Dragon's Edge. At least that's what Fishlegs told me." I replied with a smile. "Oh." He replied.

My gaze traveled lower as my attention was caught by a creature curled up between Hookfang's horns. "And who is this?" I asked, staring at the yellow and purple dragon curiously. One of Snotlout's bushy eyebrows lifted as if perplexed before seeing what I was talking about. "Oh? This little brat? He's a baby Death Song named Garf. I'm not sure if you could hear him, but he was screaming at me a minute ago." He explained. So that was the strange noise we heard... I thought, nodding in response to his question. Garf turned his head, spitting some amber liquid at Snotlout's helmet.

Snotlout let out a frustrated sigh, and only then did I see the globs of hardened amber on Hookfang and Snotlout both. "What happened to you?" I asked, stifling a laugh. "This guy hates us. And of course Hiccup and Heather want to try and train it, so they decided that singing is the best way to do so since that's how Death Songs communicate. But he throws a tantrum if you stop singing." He told me. I smirked, reaching forward. "Can I see him?" I asked. Snotlout shrugged, picking up the dragon and handing him over to me. "Be my guest. Just be careful of his spit." He warned. I nodded, cradling the baby dragon softly. "Hi Garf. I'm Brenna. You're safe with me." I told him, scratching his chin. "Here. I'll try and calm him down so you can take him back." I said.

I cleared my throat, urging Nightwing forward as I began to sing. "When the cold winds are calling, and the sky is clear and bright," I motioned to the stars above as Nightwing began to fly slowly over the sea. "Misty mountains sing and beckon, lead me out into the light." I pointed at Dragon's Edge, watching Garf follow my hand with his eyes and then gaze back up at me. "I will ride, I will fly. Chase the wind and touch the sky. I will fly. Chase the wind and touch the sky." I looked back to see Hookfang and Snotlout following us, faces full of surprise. I gained confidence in my voice, continuing the song as we flew through a hole in the center of small sea stack with trees on it. "Where dark routes hide secrets. And mountains are fierce and bold." Nightwing dived back down, hovering close enough to the water to allow me to run my fingers through it. "Deep waters hold reflections, of times lost long ago." She spiraled back into the air, making Garf let his tongue loll out of his head, chattering happily. "I will heed every story. Take hold of my own dream! Be as strong as the seas are stormy. And proud as an eagle's scream!" I smiled at the dragon as we soared higher into the night, and knew he was actually captivated by my song, which totally surprised me. "I will ride, I will fly. Chase the wind and touch the sky. I will fly. Chase the wind and touch the sky..." I glanced back to see Hookfang still behind us. Snotlout was smiling. I blushed and turned back to Garf. "And touch the sky. Chase the wind, chase the wind...Touch the sky..." I finished.