Chapter 22 ~ Dragon Scales & Drool

Only two years have passed on Berk since Snotlout and I were married, and I must say I couldn't be happier with my handsome husband and our shared life. The village was flourishing, the dragons were abundant, and nothing could possibly express how much love I held for my husband, family, and friends. So much had changed in so little time, but thankfully it was all for the better. Fishlegs and Heather had married soon after Snotlout and I, as did Eret and Ruffnut, Dagur and Helle, and even Tuffnut and Eris.

I wondered how long it would be before our generation would begin to have children, mainly because I was simply curious. Most of our parents were beginning to prod at us to begin our families, since many of them had already started to have us when they were our ages, a sentiment that we all understood. But at the same time, we all had duties, quests, and jobs to deal with on a daily basis. Each of us found ourselves coming and going all day every day, not that we complained that much, but to add children to that seemed to many of us as something that would simply add stress to our days. Not that any of us despised the idea of children, in fact, everyone I had spoken to did want to have at least one in the future, but it was certainly a concept each couple would have to discuss on their own without outside interference.

My answer came to me in the form of my best friend one evening in Gothi's hut. Nowadays I generally worked from Snotlout and my home, but Gothi had had to leave with my mother on a bartering trip, so I was watching over her home for the day when Astrid had approached, Stormfly gently nuzzling her rider from behind as she climbed the stairs. "Gothi! I need to talk to you!" The blonde called loudly, looking for my aunt and completely passing by me, as if she didn't know I was there. "Astrid!" I responded, crossing my arms next to the hut door. My friend jumped up into the air, startled and drawing her sword to place herself in a battle stance until her eyes fell on my familiar form. "Brenna!" She appeared both relieved and taken aback. "Where's Gothi?" She asked, placing her sword back on her hip. I noticed her gritting her teeth in discomfort though. "She's out with my mom. Is there anything I can help you with?" I welcomed her inside, motioning to a stool. Astrid nodded at me gratefully, following me into the building and perching herself on the stool. Nightwing and Stormfly could be heard playing outside, but I focused my attention on my best friend. She had not been looking well lately. Tired, moody, and even sickly in the mornings. "So?" I pressed, sitting on a stool beside her.

Astrid seemed as though she wasn't quite sure what to say, her eyes betraying the shadows of words she had yet to utter. Then she closed her eyes and breathed out, her muscles relaxing. "Um...well...I wasn't feeling well a couple weeks ago and I came to see Gothi to fix it cause I kept getting sick on patrol. Turns out...Hiccup and I are gonna have a baby." The moment the final words came out of her mouth, I had to cover mine to keep from screaming happily in excitement. "Are you serious? Astrid, that's amazing!" I smiled, grasping her hands supportively. Astrid blushed and nodded. "Yeah...I'm surprisingly excited. I know Hiccup's going to be a great dad, I just hope I'm a good mom." She explained. I scoffed, "Seriously? Astrid, you are going to be the best mom! You can do this! Have you told Hiccup yet?" I inquired, knowing some women choose to wait until the baby was further along to tell their husband about the pregnancy. "Yeah, he knows. He fainted when I told him." She replied, laughing as she remembered the moment her own husband, the Chief, literally fell to floor, completely limp and unconscious for hours. I grinned as she recounted the tale, feeling a surge of happiness for my friend filling my chest.

My best friend suddenly had a wicked gleam in her eye. "What about you and Snotlout? Any buns in the oven yet?" She teased by lightly poking my stomach. I shook my head, shrugging. "Not yet...at least...I don't think so..." I admitted. She nodded in understanding, leaning away and resting her own hand on her tummy instinctually.

We spoke for some time, discussing children, childbirth, and so on. Astrid really didn't need anything, she had just come for some company, the stress of the pregnancy finally hitting her. And I was more than eager to lend my ear to her, after how much she had done for me through the years, it was the least I could do in return.