Chapter 1

On a hot summer day in Animal Village, a family of five hedgehogs sat in the corner of a tailor shop, watching as the mother hedgehog, a beautiful creature with dark blue spikes, used her claws to carefully stitch a brand new blue dress for the youngest of the family, Mabel.

The father hedgehog watched his wife while the three daughters glanced at her from afar.

The middle child, Sable, watched her mother intently as she carefully moved her fingers to make sure the dress was sewn just right. She glanced down at her own dark brown paws and wondered if perhaps she could one day be as good of a seamstress as her mother.

A giggle sounded from behind her, and she turned to find her older sister, Label, holding the Mabel in her arms. Mabel clapped her dark blue paws excitedly as her mother sewed while Label grinned slightly.

Label was the prettiest of the family, there was no doubt, with her unique purple fur and subtle eye make-up that she had no doubt spent hours perfecting. Sable felt her looks lacked in comparison to that of her older sister's, despite her mother's ringing endorsements that they were all pretty as peaches.

"Down! Down!" Mabel yelled at Sable, her toddler voice echoing throughout the shop.

Label carefully set her sister down, and Sable watched as Mabel staggered on her stubby legs to where her mother was using the sewing machine.

Her mother let out a quiet giggle looking down at Mabel.

"I'm almost done. I promise," she told Mabel, poking her on the nose. Mabel giggled and ran to Sable's side this time, clinging to her leg.

"It's a good thing she's getting a new dress. This green one has seen other days," Label remarked, looking down at Mabel. Sable nodded, noticing the holes and stains on Mabel's dress. It was her favorite, and she wore it everywhere--when they fished, caught bugs with their father, stargazed, and so forth.

"Done!" Sable's mother called at last, holding the new dress in the air. Mabel clapped her hands together.

"Let's go try it on!" Label suggested, grabbing Mabel's small hand. Sable turned and watched as they ascended up the stairs.

The family ran a small shop in town called "Able Tailors." The shop was made of creaky wood that was painted white and lined with red. The shop was situated on the bottom floor. Her parents worked day and night sewing new outfits and accessories for the villagers that wandered in in their pursuit of a new outfit.

Upstairs was their living area. It was small, Sable had to admit. Two bedrooms, a tiny office, a small kitchen, one bathroom, and a small living area, but it was home. Though her family was not swimming in cash, she was content with her life, and she looked forward to the day that she could master the sewing machine as well as her parents.

Footsteps echoed through the shop, and Mabel reappeared wearing her new dress.

"My, aren't you lovely!" her mother exclaimed, picking Mabel up and swinging her around. Mabel released tiny giggles while her father chuckled from afar.

"We'll have to show you around town later," her mother decided, looking at Mabel. She glanced at the clock, her eyes widening.

"My, it's late! Off to bed, girls!" her mother said, glancing at Label and Sable. The two both sighed but retreated up the stairs to their small bedroom. Mabel still slept with their parents, but it had been made clear that one day she would join the room. Sable could only imagine how cramped it would be then.

Sable walked into her room. There were two twin beds, a purple one for Label, and a green one for Sable. Label's side of the room was lined with makeup, sketchpads, and random squares of fabric.

Label took a seat on her bed and immediately grabbed for her sketchbook, beginning to draw.

"Didn't you hear Mom? It's time for bed," Sable spoke quietly.

Sable loved her sister, but Label was never one to listen to directions. At sixteen, Label was well into her teenage years, and while she complied to her parents' wishes, Sable knew she desired more than a quiet life sewing clothes.

Sable, on the other hand, was three years younger, and even though Label craved more independence, Sable was content where she was and how she lived.

"I just need to finish this sketch," Label assured her.

Sable lifted an eyebrow. "Can't you just finish it in the morning?"

Label groaned. "I've told you. When my visions come to me, I have to act soon or I'll forget about them later. Ah--I snapped my pencil!" She threw her hands up in the air in exasperation.

Sable let out a sigh and got under her sheets. Label too had a passion for sewing, but not in the same way as Sable. Label, she could tell, was not a fan of their small village. She spoke constantly of city life and models and the finest clothing stores. She had made it known that her dream in life was to become a fashion designer above all else.

"But don't you like it here?" Sable had asked. "The city is crowded and loud and bright."

Label had only laughed at her. "It sounds wonderful. I'd love to hear something else besides crickets at night."

Sable rolled on her side as she listened to Label trace the pencil against her sketchpad. Sable had dreams of her own, but none were as extravagant as Label's. All she wanted to do was sew. Her mother had been giving her lessons since she was younger, and while Sable had improved, she never produced anything as good as what her parents did.

Sable wanted to own the shop one day as well. It had been a family business, and Sable wanted to continue it, even if Label would be busy in the city. As for Mabel, it was still too early to know what her sister wanted, but she would sometimes "help" her parents in the shop. And by help, she meant that Mabel would gather fabric when they asked her to or would hold a corner down while they sewed. But Mabel seemed to enjoy it all the same.

Label's pencil scratches died down, and a few moments later, the light flickered out.

"Night, Label," Sable whispered.

"Night," Label replied.

"Love you," Sable spoke quietly.

There was a long pause before Label whispered, "Love you, too."