Chapter 16

Label woke up shivering. She wrapped her arms around her and opened her eyes, for  a second thinking she'd see Sable's bed across from her and hear a crackling fireplace. But all she saw was dull painted walls, old furniture, and worn kitchenware.

Label sat up, her breath coming out in puffs. 

You'd think they would at least have heaters in this place, she thought. She touched her feet to the cold floor and peered out the window. The sky was gray and faint snowflakes danced.

Label reached for her lamp and glanced forward. The money Dr. Frillard had lent her had helped with the rent for now, but she knew she needed a job quickly. She was already running low on groceries, and her money supply was getting lower and lower.

Label glanced absentmindedly at the calendar, realizing it was December 24.

Oh...Toy Day, she thought. She wondered what Sable and Mabel were doing at home to celebrate the day. She sighed and shook her head. It wasn't like she would know, and maybe she didn't want to know how they were getting on without her.

After drinking a cup of morning coffee, Label slipped on her coat and headed out of her apartment until she was out on the street, ready to take on the day.

The city was bustling as animals did some last minute shopping for the holidays. Label walked in between them, muttering "sorry" as she was pushed around in the crowd. 

Her eyes were glued to glass windows as she desperately looked for "Help Wanted" signs. Her eyes lingered toward the Marquee but she knew she couldn't ask Dr. Shrunk for even more help, not after he and Dr. Frillard had basically paid for her apartment.

The entirety of the day was spent lingering from shop to shop, only being told there were enough workers due to the holiday season right now or simply being turned away because it was too busy.

Label eventually sighed and rested on some stairs. She pouted, watching as more animals scrambled around to shops. Her heart ached for the simple and quiet Toy Days at home.

But this is my home now, she reminded herself.

The snow had come to a halt, and a bit of sun was beginning to peek through. Label glanced down at her claws and back up again at the environment around her. Was she really going to be able to make it here?

A whistle caught her attention, and she glanced forward to see a skunk strutting her way. He looked even poorer than her in his beige, worn-out hat and ragged clothing. He glanced up at Label and paused at the staircase.

"Here for a shoeshine, miss?"

Label's eyes widened. "Oh, I'm sorry. Is this your spot? I can move."

"Don't worry about it," he replied, throwing a rag over his shoulder. "Now, how about getting them shoes shined up?" he said, glancing at Label's dirty brown shoes.

"Oh, I-I don't have enough money," Label replied.

The skunk raised an eyebrow. "Well, that makes two of us, huh? I'll shine 'em for free."

"You don't have to do that!" Label exclaimed.

He laughed. "I insist. My name's Kicks. You got a name?"

"Label," she replied as he knelt down and began wiping off her shoes with his rag.

"You seem awfully young to be out here on your own."

"I live here. I just moved away from home," Label explained. "I-I'm trying to find a job."

"Not too many of those around here," Kicks muttered. "What do you want to do here?"

"I-I want to be a fashion designer," Label said.

"Hm...interesting," Kicks said, now moving onto the other shoe. "Having a good Toy Day?"

"It seems no one really celebrates it here," Label muttered sadly.

"You're from the country. I can tell." Kicks finished up her shoes and glanced up at her, smiling.

"Yeah."

"That where your family is?"

Label nodded.

"Then why are you out here all alone?"

"I don't know," Label said quietly.

"Well, good luck to ya, Label. If I hear of any jobs available, I'll let ya know," Kicks said, tossing his rag over his shoulder and heading off.

Label felt tears gather in her eyes, wanting to be back home again. But she knew if she went back, she'd never be able to get to the city again. She would be responsible for the family again, and Sable would give her a good talking.

Label finally got up, guessing it would be useless to try to find a job in all the chaos of the holidays. She grudgingly made her way back to her apartment, her heart sinking as soon as she saw the pale building.

Her apartment was fine and livable, but she sure missed eating meals with Sable at home and having a nice warm bed. Her cramped house at home seemed like an improvement compared to her tiny apartment.

The sky was becoming dark now. A childish feeling in Label made her hope that Jingle would come. She knew she didn't deserve a present though, not after what she had done to her family.

She wished she had some lights or a tree, but there was only the lamp to light the room. After dinner, Label crawled into bed. Her eyes glanced out the window, where an aurora borealis had lit up the sky. She grinned to herself a little before turning off her light and letting her eyes close.

A shard of sunlight illuminated Label's face in the morning. She sat up and rubbed her eyes, glancing around the room. Her eyes caught on a small gift wrapped in blue wrapping paper.

For a moment, she thought it might be a gift from Sable. But she knew this was impossible. She hadn't written, so there was no way they'd know her address.

Label crouched down and grabbed the gift. There was no note. 

"Jingle," she breathed, grabbing the gift and beginning to tear it open.

Inside were a box of colored pencils, perfect for her sketching. Tears came to her eyes and she grinned. She grabbed her sketchbook and began tracing the different colors on the pad. She sat like that the rest of the day, leaned against the bed as she drew and drew. Slowly, just slowly, her motivation began to return.