Chapter 45

| TWENTY YEARS LATER |

Labelle's blaring alarm clock sounded at her bedside. She let out a groan and threw her claw over it, shutting it off. Hadn't she just gone to bed? Gracie had made her work that late night shift after all...

The sun was just beginning to rise over a beautiful autumn day. Little bits of orange sunlight danced around Labelle's penthouse, and bits of dust floated in the air. She really had to clean up this place. If only she had the time.

Labelle sat up on her bed, glancing out at the city around her. She remembered her first time seeing a sunrise in the city all those years ago. It was breathtaking. Perhaps it was a little still, even if the magic had faded a bit.

Labelle stood up, a sharp pain running down her back.

"Curses!" she muttered, holding onto her back. She had forgotten that Gracie had made her move all those boxes around the other day on top of working overtime.

Labelle followed her normal routine of getting ready, putting on the same layer of make-up, the same outfit. Twenty years of this now. It had just become a part of her daily life, she supposed.

After she was ready and left her dirty apartment to be cleaned later, she stepped outside, finding it to be a cool, yet comfortable day. Buses were already letting shoppers off to fulfill their material needs.

It might be nice to have a shopping day, Labelle thought. But days off were far and few in between.

She caught the sight of a frog wearing the cutest pink dress. Labelle thought of the piles of fabric in her apartment and her dusty sewing machine. She hadn't sewed in a few years due to all the work she put in at GracieGrace. She thought back to that time Harriet had suggested she make her own business. 

Maybe Harriet was right, Labelle thought as she grudgingly entered her work.

GracieGrace looked the same as ever, except for their new autumn design of course. There was still the same lighting, same floors, and same raucous tune of the speakers and guests feet clanking against the floor.

Labelle took a seat down by the cashier desk before she received a quick scold.

"Labelle, stand up! Pay attention to the customers!" Gracie nagged.

Labelle slowly stood up, even though her body desperately craved to sit. She had been running around all day yesterday to help a guest carry out furniture and evidently had not had enough rest before coming into work again.

The magic of GracieGrace had all but been lost on Labelle. No longer did she live to work. It was becoming more of a burden every day. Sure, she had bells, but not much to spend them on.

Labelle constantly was at work or Gracie's side helping with the business while she watched animals joyfully spend their days with others outside. If there was one thing Labelle regretted, it was never forming a strong relationship with anyone in the city. She had made work first years ago, but now it was beginning to bite her in the butt.

"Maybe I should have got married," Labelle said to Gracie one day.

Gracie just laughed in response. "For what? A successful businesswoman doesn't need a man to bring her down or steal her bells. You have time if you really crave it."

"Nevermind," Labelle muttered, turning back to her work.

Now Labelle sat alone in her apartment most days, as she had done for the past twenty plus years. Even her own designing had become a bust. Gracie's constant work had really taken it out of Labelle, and she no longer had the energy to design after a hard day's work.

There were times Labelle had considered returning home, but what for? She had been here longer than she had ever lived in Animal Village. Her life would just be more boring there, she supposed.

"Labelle!" Gracie snapped again.

Labelle hadn't realized how lost in thought she was. She noticed a customer looking around for help and went off to assist. It was the same routine at home as it was at work. Hardly anything excited her anymore. Sales rose and fell as they always did with the seasons, and the business had been successful for years.

Labelle watched the sun move as customers entered and exited. All the while it was a normal busy day. Gracie insulted customers' fashion, Labelle helped with purchases, and there were, as always, a few complaints about the ridiculous prices.

At the end of the day, Labelle sneaked out before Gracie could assign her random tasks to do. She came back to her apartment at night and collapsed on her bed.

Had she really been doing this daily routine for so long? It was natural to her now, but it wasn't as if she enjoyed it. Something had struck her today. The city didn't feel as vibrant or bright as it used to.

She guessed it could've been the cloudy day or perhaps that she was just tired from the work the day before, but there had been this feeling nagging inside her for a long time, a feeling she couldn't quite describe.

She closed her eyes for a moment, hearing the sound of honking cars and buses treading across the road...and all the while, she felt she could hear a tricking river in the back of her mind.

Her home used to be by the river. She remembered waking up some nights and hearing the water softly flow. 

Labelle's eyes shot open. That was years ago. She couldn't believe she remembered something so small and insignificant as that.

She sat up and turned the television on as she fixed herself some food and got ready for bed. The forecast called for clouds and rain for the week, which caused Labelle to groan. The cold weather was sometimes too much for her.

As she sat at the table, she found herself moving her food around with a fork, not really hungry. The same thought had been nagging at her all day. Was it time to let it shine through.

She stepped out onto her patio and glanced down at the lively city below. Maybe she was just getting too old for this place. But it had been her dream, after all. Why would she ever leave it?

"Sable, Mabel," she whispered. "Do you ever still think about me...like I still think about you?" she asked the voiceless night sky.