Chapter 20

"Good morning, Label," Harriet said as Label entered the shop on a new day. Label grinned at her boss and glanced around.

"Doesn't even look like there's that much cleaning for me to do today," Label observed. The floors appeared to be flawless. They glittered like they had just been washed.

"I got a bit ahead of myself," Harriet admitted, shoving a broom back into the corner. "We were so busy yesterday we didn't have time to clean. I couldn't stand to wait for you to show up."

"It's fine. It's my job, you know," Label told her. She had been much more at ease now that she finally had a decent job. She was slowly building the money back up for Dr. Frillard and was managing to pay her rent just fine.

"I know. Unfortunately, I don't know how busy it will be today. The weekend is over now," Harriet admitted. She organized her supplies on a metal tray and glanced out the window longingly.

"How is business doing?" Label wondered.

"It's good. It's not as exciting as when I first opened, but it's enough. I just wish more would come during the weekday. I dread my weekend shifts because they're so crowded, but it wouldn't be bad to have a bit more profit during the week as well," Harriet admitted.

"I'm sure you'll get more business. I've seen you do haircuts and makeovers, Harriet. You're amazing!" Label exclaimed.

Harriet grinned. "Thank you, Label. This is still all very new to me. I'm just shocked my dream came true. All those beauty salon school days paid off, huh?"

Label grinned, hoping she could have as much success as Harriet one day.

"Well, what should I do since you already cleaned up?" Label wondered.

"The shop still doesn't open for an hour. Um...actually, I have a favor to ask you. Remember our agreement?"

Label nodded.

"Katrina wanted some help organizing her tools or, I don't know what they're called. She asked yesterday, but we were so busy and you know..."

"I know," Label replied. She had to admit that hearing stories of Katrina kind of terrified Label too, but it was what she had agreed to, and she needed the extra 100 bells that Harriet had offered.

"I'll head over," Label decided.

"Oh, thank you! I hate it when she comes by," Harriet exclaimed, shuddering.

Label stepped outside the shop and walked to the end of the pathway where a small, brown building with ivy leaves decorating it stood. Label took a deep breath and walked up the cobblestone path up to it. She paused for a moment, the knocked at the door.

There was some clutter and hiss before the door opened. A dark panther stood in front of her, adorned with many jewels. Immediately, Label felt intimidated.

"Who disturbs me?!" she yowled.

"Um...I'm Label. I work for Harriet. You asked for her help yesterday, but we were busy, so I came by--"

"Yes, yes. The stars have already told me all," Katrina told her. "Step inside, young one, and discover your fate."

"I hope you know I'm just here to help, not find out my fortune," Label told her as she stepped inside.

"One always gets something unexpected in the house of Katrina!" she exclaimed.

Label rolled her eyes. The panther had changed from intimidating to amusing. Label was surprised how her fortune shop got any success at all.

Inside, the room was incredibly dark with only a few candles lighting the area. It reeked of incense and dust, and Label gagged a little on the scent.

"I have some vases that need to be unboxed," Katrina explained, pointing to a pile of unopened brown boxes.

"Okay, okay," Label said. She knelt on the floor and began to rip the boxes apart.

"Careful with those! They help me tell fortune!" Katrina shouted as she sat at her desk.

"You don't seem very occupied with anything. Don't you want to help?" Label wondered.

The panther leaned against her chair and closed her eyes in satisfaction. "I am listening to all the sounds of the universe. I have no time to perform such worldly tasks."

Label turned back to her work and began to carefully pull each vase from its box. Pale and dark designs covered them. They ranged from small to big, and Label set them carefully in a pile near Katrina's desk. She wasn't sure how these really told fortunes. In fact, they looked like they could be bought from any general store. But who was she to witness the "all-seeing Katrina"?

I can't believe Harriet is scared of her, Label thought. 

"Have you finished that task?" Katrina muttered, one eye peeking open.

"Yes. Is that all?"

Katrina thought for a moment, then nodded. Label moved toward the door, but the she-cat called out once again.

"Wait, young one! Don't you want to hear your fortune?!"

"Um, I don't have any bells on me," Label lied.

"All free of charge, my daughter!" Katrina exclaimed. "Now, come closer, lost sign of Leo."

"Um, I'm actually a Scorpio," Label interjected.

"Ah, yes. The stars just focused a bit more. Simple mistake. Lost sign of Scorpio, I, Katrina, will now foresee your future!" she cackled. "I shall now bring your star matrix into view"

"Keeee heh hah mo-atata

"Kee ha ha mo-atatata

"Eee na ro sheho-to bati

"YEEEEEeeeee!"

Label's head suddenly become fuzzy, and she felt a searing pain. What did she just do, she thought to herself. The fuzziness suddenly cleared though, and Katrina began to speak.

"Aha...yes...I am starting to see it now. The universe glows golden in the brilliance of Mercury, reborn as the first-magnitude star! Mercury's splendor is spread as wealth and freedom. Yesss, wealth free for the taking. The freedom, however, depends solely on the heart of the soul who accepts it. In essence, the stars surrounding you give off an aura of gold. This aura glows fiercely around you. I foresee an improvement in your monetary fortunes.

"However, that doesn't mean you should go about doing whatever you want with your money. Throwing around your money without care seems foolish, but the choice is yours, of course! That is all!"

"Um..thanks," Label said.

"Remember child, that bad times are times...that are just bad."

"Thank you. That was...thought-provoking," Label replied before heading out the door. She winced at the blinding sun after being trapped inside Katrina's dark hellhole for so long. She made her way back to Shampoodle, happy to smell the scent of strawberry shampoo and see bright colors.

"How was Katrina?" Harriet asked. "She always gives me the creeps."

"I think you're holding her up a little too high," Label replied before grabbing a broom and beginning to clean up fallen bits of hair and fur on the ground.