Chapter 22

The blaring of an alarm woke Label in the morning. She opened her eyes, letting out a moan. Loud music and flashing lights had kept her up for most of the night, and now her eyes could barely stay open.

She shut off her alarm clock and sat up, glancing around her darkened apartment. Her head hurt and her body was fatigued. She supposed this was life in the city though. A neighbor would never disturb her slumber back home, but here, everyone in the city was awake.

She got ready for the day, washing her face and putting on a clean outfit. She glanced at the clothes hanging in her closet. Nearly all had been hand-stitched by her parents. There was something she adored about them, but also something she hated. She didn't look like a city gal, especially in homemade clothing. Even the nicer clothes she had brought to the city didn't live up to what other animals wore.

Label shrugged, knowing she should just be thankful she hadn't been kicked out of her apartment for not paying rent. Harriet was paying well, and Label was getting by just fine. There were no large purchases on her part, but there was enough for groceries and essentials, and even something fun now and again.

A gentle fog had set in the morning air. Label was also surprised how quiet the city was in the morning. There was something peaceful about it that reminded Label of home. 

A cold breeze swept through the air, and Label clutched her arms. Even though spring would soon be on its way, snow fell every now and again, and the air was still cold. 

She approached Shampoodle, seeing the lights already on. Harriet was already inside setting up shop.

"Good morning," she greeted Label.

"Morning," Label replied, shutting the door behind her.

"Why didn't you bring a coat? You must be freezing!" Harriet exclaimed.

"Didn't think about it," Label lied. Of course she had a coat, but it was worn and did not live up to the standards of the city.

"Oh, well. Can you clean off the scissors?" Harriet asked.

Label nodded and set to work, watching as the sky became brighter and the first buses started arriving.

"How has Katrina been treating you lately?" Harriet asked as she wiped off salon seats.

Label chuckled. "I don't get why you're so terrified of her. Shouldn't it be the opposite?"

"Don't reinforce stereotypes!" Harriet exclaimed. "She works with dark magic."

Label rolled her eyes. "Oh, please. She didn't even get my star sign correct."

"I don't trust her," was all Harriet muttered. The pink poodle glanced up, already seeing some customers waiting outside the door.

"Label," she said.

Label glanced at the clock then unlocked the door, allowing customers in. Label provided them with magazines as they waited for a turn from Harriet. As Label wiped down counters, she glanced at Harriet. The poodle was intently focused on the task at hand and worked intricately, creating new hairstyles.

Label wished she could be that passionate about her job someday. She grinned as she thought about showing her designs and creations to admiring customers. Someday...

Label continued to work, thinking about the money she was saving to pay back Dr. Frillard. It was coming along nicely, and she couldn't wait to see the look on his and Dr. Shrunk's face when she told them of how she was getting along. Then again, she hadn't gotten her dream job, but it was enough to keep her in the city for now.

"Label, pay attention!" Harriet nagged as more customers waited to speak to her.

The day went by quickly due to the high number of customers, but soon enough, the shop was ready to close, and they began cleaning up. Label swept the floors, watching the sun set outside. 

"You seem distracted today," Harriet noted.

"Just thinking," Label told her.

"About what?"

"Just...a lot of things," Label muttered.

"And..."

"Why do I need to tell you what I'm thinking about?" Label asked, annoyance rising in her voice.

"I'm just curious, that's all. I'm also paying you..."

"I was just thinking about if I'm cut out for city life or not."

"Why do you think you aren't?"

"I feel like I am in my heart," Label explained, clutching the broom closer to her. "But...I still feel like a part of me is stuck home in the country. All my clothes are subpar and I've found no opportunities to be a designer."

"Hmm..."

"You...don't happen to know any other fashion designers, do you?" Label asked halfheartedly.

Harriet shrugged. "Afraid not."

"How did you achieve your dream, then?"

"Hard work. Honestly, Label, how can you expect to branch out so quickly. I just opened my shop. It took ten years. How old are you, twelve?"

"Sixteen," Label replied through gritted teeth. Did she really look that young?

"You've got time. It's going to take a lot more experience," Harriet told her. 

"Still...I just feel like if I don't get a job soon, it won't have been worth it."

"Worth what?" Harriet wondered.

"Coming to the city," Label replied. "I-I gave up a lot to live here, you know. I just want to be a part of it."

Harriet grinned.

"What?" Label asked.

Harriet approached and smiled even more.

"Seriously, Harriet, what are you doing? You're creeping me out," Label said.

"I can't tell you when your dream or come true or list any prestigious fashion designers, but I do know one thing that could cheer you up."

"And?"

"A makeover!" Harriet exclaimed.

Label blushed. "What? No, I don't need a--"

"Nonsense!" Harriet exclaimed. She grabbed Label's wrist and sat her down on a seat.

"I don't know if you noticed, but I don't have hair--"

"I'm not cutting anything," Harriet told her. She grabbed a bunch of items and set them down. "We're talking make-up!" she exclaimed, showing her different palettes.

"Honestly, Harriet, I don't think--"

"You want to look like a city gal, right? Then let me give you a makeover, on the house!"

Label sighed. "Fine."

"Oh, you'll look even more pretty when I'm done with you!" Harriet exclaimed, beginning to touch up her face. Label shut her eyes and watched as Harriet moved around her, applying different powders to her face. It must have been a half hour before Harriet pulled away and squealed.

"Perfect!" she exclaimed. She handed Label a mirror. Label glanced down, nearly jumping at the reflection. She had only worn a little make-up before, had never even really considered herself that beautiful, but whatever Harriet had done had completely altered her vision of herself.

She wore winged eyeliner and her eyelids were a deep blue, bringing out the color of her eyes even more. Label gulped and set the mirror down on her lap.

"Do you like it?" Harriet asked excitedly.

Label nodded, still stunned.

"Do you think you look like a city girl now?" Harriet wondered.

Label glanced at her reflection again, then nodded. "Can you show me how to do this?"

"Sure," Harriet replied. "You're going to have to buy the make-up on your own though."

Label laughed. "Agreed."