Chapter 11

Sable's heart lurched as the door swung open to the apartment. She and Mabel had been playing with building blocks by the fire until Label had dramatically entered. She threw her bag down on the table, letting out a heavy sigh.

"Why are you two still up?" Label asked.

"We waited for you, sissy!" Mabel exclaimed.

"We wanted to stay up and welcome you home," Sable explained. "But you're shift isn't over for fifteen more minutes? Why are you home early?"

Label began rummaging through her things, refusing to make eye contact with her sister.

"Label?"

"I quit," Label replied.

Sabel's eyes widened. "What? What do you mean you quit?"

"I can't take it anymore!" Label exclaimed. The room was deathly quiet.

"Let's get you to bed, Mabel," Sable whispered quietly, knowing that she and her sister would be having an argument.

As Sable escorted Mabel to her room, she heard Label rummaging through cupboards and banging around, wondering what on earth her sister was doing. Sable herself was confused, and angry as well. How could her sister just quit her job like that? The extra bells had been worth it, even for a short time.

"What's wrong with Label?" Mabel whispered as Sable draped the sheets over her small body.

"We're going to talk," Sable promised. "Go to sleep, okay?"

Mabel nodded, and Sable shut the door, knowing even then their voices would not be completely unheard.

Label had begun laying objects out on the table. Sable opened her mouth to question, but instead asked her first question again.

"Why did you quit?"

"I hate that job. I sit around all day, I watch the same villagers come in and out, and I couldn't stand Phyllis tonight," Label groaned, still continuing to move around.

"But we need those bells, Label! Please ask Pelly for your job back," Sable begged.

"I can't do it," Label replied simply.

"Oh, then just get a different job!"

Label ignored her and grabbed her sketchbook from the couch. She pulled out a large bag from one of the cupboards and began shoving the other objects she'd grabbed in it.

"Label, what are you doing? Come on! You need to talk to me," Sable urged.

"I can't take this anymore. I'm not happy here," Label announced.

"None of us are. Have any of us been really truly happy since Mom and Dad died?" Sable asked quietly. "But we just need to keep working through it and--"

"Even before Mom and Dad died I wasn't happy here," Label explained. "And I haven't felt a speck of joy since they passed away. This isn't the life for me. I-I'm losing my mind."

Sable's claws began to tremble now. Her sister was beginning to scare her.

"It'll be okay. We'll get through it," Sable promised.

"No, we won't!" Label shouted, her voice echoing throughout the house.

"Label, Mabel is--"

"Like she isn't listening in," Label muttered. "I hate everything about this town. I hate the boring villagers, I hate the lack of activity, I hate the jobs, and I hate this house. I can't stand another day in this town. I'm leaving."

Those two words were what Sable feared.

"What do you mean 'you're leaving?' You're sixteen. How are you going to get by on your own?"

"We've been doing it for months, haven't we?" Label spoke quietly. "I can't do it anymore, Sable. I've got to get away."

"Label, you can't," Sable begged. "We're a family, Label."

"We haven't felt like one in months. We're always arguing, Mabel doesn't have a clue what's going on. She still thinks Mom and Dad are coming back. She's told me," Label explained.

"No, she--"

"She does. I haven't been able to sketch. I'm always fighting with you. And I'm always wishing I weren't here," Label explained. She lifted her bag over her shoulder. "I'm leaving."

"Label, no! Mom and Dad wouldn't have wanted it! How could you do this? How am I going to take care of this house and Mabel and live. How could you be so selfish?!" Sable screeched.

"Me being selfish? I gave up all my dreams to help you. You seem to have it under control. Mabel likes you more than me. Open up the store again if you're so concerned," Label huffed.

"No!" Sable shrieked, grabbing Label's arm. Her voice choked, and it was only now she realized she was crying.

"We're a family, Label," she spoke quietly again.

There was no emotion on Label's side. She remained quiet until Sable released her grip.

"Where would you even go?" Sable whispered.

"The city."

"How? You don't even have enough bells to get a bus ticket," Sable muttered.

Label glanced down. "I've been saving."

"You've been stealing from us?!" Sable gasped.

"No! I've been saving money since I was a kid. It's only a couple bells here and there," Label explained. She glanced out the window where the snow was beginning to fall. "I have a bus to catch."

"Label," Sable begged again. She was unsure why she couldn't stop her sister. Her feet were frozen, and her throat was too dry to speak.

"It's almost Toy Day," she spoke through tears.

"I'm sorry," Label replied. 

If Sable possessed the courage or authority her mother did, she wouldn't have even let Label pack. She would whisk the bag from her, drag Label back inside, and talk sense into her. But Sable only watched in disbelief as Label slammed the door behind her.

She should've run after her sister. She should've gone out into the cold and stopped her. Sable didn't even have the courage to look out the window and watch her sister leave. Instead, she knelt on the floor and began to sob. How had she let the family fall apart so easily?