Chapter 25

The snow melted completely, leaving fresh and dewy green grass and colorful flowers in its wake. Multi-colored butterflies gently floated on top of the spring breeze while the hum of bumblebees could be heard in the air.

The cherry blossoms floated down to the earth in early April, and multiple festivals came and went until it was already May with summer fast approaching.

May 22 was a day of particular excitement because Mabel would be turning four years old. Sable had invited the whole town to come to the shop for a party. She had even closed business for that day to ensure her sister would have a lovely party.

On the day of the party itself, Sable dressed Mabel up in a pretty green dress, which she wore with pride around the shop. Balloons were hung inside and outside the shop while a beautiful cake sat in the fridge, waiting to be devoured later.

As Sable tied balloons down, Mabel walked around excitedly, going on and on about the celebration, what the cake would taste like, what presents she would receive, and so forth.

"When is it starting?" Mabel complained.

"Soon, I promise," Sable told her. 

Mabel nodded and hummed to herself. The doors were soon opening, and animals began arriving in masses. A small pile of gifts was built up on the table, and each showered Mabel in affection.

"Where's the birthday girl?!" Mayor Tortimer exclaimed.

Mabel peeped out behind Sable's leg and grinned. "Right here!"

"Already four years old, what do you know? Here's a gift for you," he said, leaning down and handing her a small package. Mabel giggled and ran to place it on the table with all her other gifts.

"I'm glad so many could come," Sable told him as she watched Mabel chat with the others.

"Of course. Not much excitement going on right now anyway," Tortimer noted.

At that moment, Sable spotted that same raccoon enter the shop that she had noticed a few months early. She had been seeing him around town a lot more, but she still wasn't acquainted with him.

"Say, who's that?" Sable asked. "I haven't seen him around."

"Oh, Tom Nook? He's been living here for a few years."

"I guess I never noticed," Sable said to herself.

"Always working, you are!" Tortimer teased. "I think someone wants cake."

Sable nodded and fetched the cake from upstairs. She delicately placed candles in a small circle and watched as Mabel's eyes lit up at the sight of the sweet and colorful frosting.

"Someone get the lights!" Sable called.

The room became illuminated by the light of the four candles, and the crowd broke into a low, slightly-off pitch rendition of happy birthday.

"Happy Birthday to you!" they finished.

"Make a wish, Mabel!" Sable encouraged.

Her younger sister sucked in a deep breath and practically spit on the candles with her exhale. The candles went out, the lights came back on, and Mabel clapped her hands together eagerly.

"Make a good wish?" Sable asked.

"Yes! But I can't tell you, or else it won't come true," Mabel warned.

"All right. I won't ask," Sable promised. She cut a big slice of cake for her sister before distributing the rest, and they all stood and ate pieces of delicious cake.

The cake was soon discarded for presents, and Sable had to quickly make note of what Mabel had gotten while her sister rapidly tore from present to present. There were an assortment of toys, a few clothing items, but mostly toys. She had never seen Mabel so excited. It was the Toy Day that she hadn't gotten.

When all the presents were open and not a single piece of cake remained, the party began to die down, and the crowd began to disperse.

"Back to Town Hall, I guess," Tortimer reckoned. "Happy Birthday, Mabel!"

"Thank you," Mabel replied gleefully.

"Say 'bye' to Tortimer," Sable told Mabel enthusiastically.

"Bye, bye!" Mabel shouted.

"She's a bit loud, huh?" came a voice behind Sable. She spun around to see Tom Nook, the raccoon Tortimer had pointed out earlier.

"Aren't all four-year-olds though?" she wondered.

Tom chuckled to himself. "I guess so."

"I'm Sable, by the way," she said, holding out her hand. "I don't think we've met before."

"I'm Tom Nook, but I know who you are already. I've been living here a while, but I guess we just never ran into each other," he said.

"Yeah. Too busy working to notice," Sable admitted.

"I'm really impressed by what you've been able to do," Tom told her.

"Really?" Sable asked.

"Yeah, it's amazing you were able to re-open this shop and get some good business after your, um...parents. Sorry about that by the way," he said.

Sable shrugged, though it still pained her to think of her family. It hadn't even been a year since they had died. An awkward silence settled between the two until Tom began speaking again.

"I want to run a business some day," he explained. 

"Oh, really?" 

Tom nodded. "Yeah, a big shop in the city!"

Sable stiffened, suddenly thinking of Label. "You like city life, then, huh?"

"I think city and country life both have their perks. I'd like to see what city life is about too," Tom explained. "Then, I can finally achieve my dream, too. You're pretty successful. Maybe you could give me some pointers."

Sable laughed. "Successful as in re-opening a business already established by my parents. But thanks, I appreciate it."

"Say, you want to make a special outfit for me?" Tom wondered. "I look pretty good in green and need a new shirt."

"I think I might have one. Just a second," Sable said. She dipped out of what remained of the party and shuffled around some boxes before pulling out a dark green shirt. She returned with it in hand and gave it to Tom.

"How does this look?" she asked.

"Perfect! How much?"

"You can have it for free," Sable told him. "As a thanks for coming today."

"Are you sure? I have bells," he offered.

Sable shook her head. "No charge. It'll suit you well."

"Thanks," Tom replied, slipping the shirt underneath his arm. Everyone had nearly gone now, leaving them alone.

"I guess I should head out," Tom realized.

"Oh, okay," Sable replied.

"What are your plans for summer?" the raccoon asked.

"Just working," Sable replied.

"Well, I'll swing by sometimes, keep you company," he said. "Or stop by my house. It's on the other side of town. We can hang out."

"Oh, okay. T-thanks," Sable stammered. She hadn't had a friend in so long that it felt unreal that someone wanted to hang out with her.

"Happy birthday, Mabel," Tom said, glancing down at the smaller hedgehog. "See you around, Sable. Thanks for the shirt!"

"Bye, Tom!" she called, waving as he left. Sable remained in a rather good mood for the rest of the day as she cleaned up the party, thinking about the new friendship she had just formed.