Chapter 24

Winter turned into spring. The snow gradually melted, the sun became brighter, and the air became warmer.

Things were looking up for Label. Harriet's funds were helping her strive in the city. She had learned how to apply make-up like Harriet taught her and was even able to buy a few new outfits of her own.

With the spare money she had, Label even bought some sewing supplies and began to try to create her own works. Her sketching became more frequent, and she felt inspired again.

As March reached its end, Label was thrilled to realize she had now collected the 2000 bells to Dr. Frillard. She put on her best dress and dolled her face up as she headed out to the Marquee one morning.

The city was lively, just how Label liked it. It was the weekend, and many were out shopping with their family. Label smiled a bit at them, trying to ignore the thoughts of her own family in the back of her head, and she headed toward the large theater.

Label stepped inside, feeling like a new person. So much had changed since her first time here. She approached the front desk.

"Hello there. Which show would you like to see today?"

"I'm here to see Dr. Shrunk and Dr. Frillard," Label explained.

"You have to see a show--"

"No, you don't understand. I've been here before," Label pleaded.

"We don't allow regular folk in to see them."

"Please!" Label begged.

"What's the hold-up?" came an enthusiastic voice.

Label spun around, and her eyes lit up. There was Dr. Shrunk in the lobby, on his way to a break.

"Dr. Shrunk, it's me! Label!" she exclaimed.

"Label? Hardly recognized you. I'll take her off your hands," he told the clerk.

Label excitedly followed him upstairs. Dr. Frillard was sitting on a couch, a book in hand.

"Guess who decided to pay a visit, Frillard," Shrunk spoke up.

The old lizard looked up. "Ah, Label, is that you?"

"I couldn't even recognize her," Shrunk explained. "Looks like a real city girl to me."

Label grinned and took a seat on the couch.

"What brings you here today, miss?" Frillard asked.

"Well, if I recall, I did have a little debt to repay." She put her hands into her purse and pulled out a large bag of bells.

"I had almost forgot," Frillard said, laughing to himself. He reached out his hand to collect the bag of bells.

"Thank you so much for giving me those bells. It really helped me out in the beginning," Label told him.

"How long have you been here now?" Shrunk asked.

"Three months," Label told him. "But I suppose it feels longer."

"What have you been up to, then?" Shrunk wondered.

"Well, for starters, I got an apartment, which was what the bells helped out with. Thank you again, Dr. Frillard. Now I work full time helping out at Shampoodle and occasionally helping Katrina at the fortune teller shop nearby."

Both Shrunk and Frillard shivered. "Katrina," they muttered.

"She's really not that bad. I don't know what everyone is complaining about."

"Well, you certainly look like you're getting along well," Shrunk told her. "Although working at a hair salon. Why not work here at Marquee?"

"What?" Label asked.

"Frillard wants to retire soon. We're looking for a full-time comedian," Shrunk proposed.

"You're serious?"

"I don't know. Am I?"

Label giggled. "Well, if your offer is serious, I'll have to decline it. I'm no good at comedy, but thank you."

"What was it you wanted to be again, dear?" Frillard asked.

"I don't remember hair stylist coming into the picture," Shrunk added.

"A fashion designer," Label explained.

"Not an entertainer?"

"No. A fashion designer," Label said much more strongly this time.

"Well, how is that coming along?" Shrunk asked.

"It's...coming, I guess. Obviously the job I work isn't really meant for a fashion designer. It's just something to make bells, really. But I've still been drawing in my sketchbook, and I'm even starting to sew again," Label explained.

"Again?"

"Er...well, I stopped for a while," Label said. "But I'm feeling inspired again."

"Well, that's good. Inspiration fuels success," Frillard told her.

"You got any connections, any family to help you out?" Shrunk asked.

"No, I don't know how to get into the fashion industry. I came from a family of tailors. We had our own shop, but...that's about it," Label explained.

"Hm..." Shrunk scratched his head and thought to himself.

"I mean, if you know of anyone I would be thrilled to hear," Label said.

"I'm trying to think," Shrunk said. He shut his eyes and concentrated while Label and Frillard sat in an awkward silence.

"That's it!" Shrunk exclaimed so loudly that Label nearly leapt out of her seat.

"Did you think of something?" Label asked.

"Gracie!"

"Who?"

"There's this fashionista that likes to parade around. Her name is Gracie. She's a tall giraffe, usually wears a scarf around her neck and is wearing something extravagant. She likes to drive her car around to different towns and judge people's accessories, but she likes to frequent the city too," Shrunk explained.

"I've never heard of her," Label admitted.

"She is quite...interesting," Frillard said.

"She isn't one to mess with," Shrunk explained to Label. "She is high-up in the fashion industry, and while she could get you into it, you first need her approval. She only approves of those with the highest fashion sense, and if you're lucky enough, maybe she'll make you her pupil."

"When does she next come to the city?" Label asked.

"That I don't know. She doesn't really have a schedule," Shrunk explained. "I personally think she's a pain in the..."

Frillard raised his eyes at Shrunk.

"Well, as Frillard said, she's interesting. Maybe she can help you out if you're lucky enough. She's easy to spot if you're out and about, so maybe that'll be your way in. Other than that, that's all I can do to help. I got a show in five minutes," Shrunk explained.

"No, that was very helpful!" Label exclaimed. "I'll keep my eye out." She stood up from the couch and waved good-bye to the two. "Thank you again, especially for those bells. The advice was helpful too."

"Of course, of course," Shrunk said.

"If you ever need some more bells, please stop by," Frillard spoke in his raspy voice.

"Oh, thank you, but I hope I won't need to," Label said. She headed downstairs, feeling even more excited than when she had entered. She was learning more and more about the city every day.