Chapter 36

Labelle was still recovering from her encounter with the strange raccoon. She had not been herself at work for a good week after that. It was still frightening to her how close she had come to being discovered.

Gracie had picked up on Labelle's change in attitude and gave her a talking one day.

"What's bothering you?" she asked Labelle, almost too seriously.

"Nothing," Labelle replied.

"Your outfit has not been spot on in a week, and you lack that enthusiasm talking to customers. This is your dream, isn't it? Fashion is what you're passionate about!"

"Yes, it is, but..."

"But what?"

"I don't know. I've been having family issues," Labelle muttered. "I don't think they approve of it."

Gracie let out a loud laugh. "I haven't spoken to my family in years and look at me. You don't want to be held back from your dreams."

"No, I guess not."

"I named you Labelle, and that's who you are! Now get out there!" Gracie exclaimed.

Labelle nodded, and her week seemed to become infinitely better after that. Slowly the last thoughts from her family began to drift from her mind, and she got back into work mode. She became excited returning to work, she was more enthusiastic as she helped Gracie plan a new line of clothing, and she just...felt better.

Knowing that her family was doing well, at least, seemed to calm her a bit too. She had not seen the raccoon since he had entered that day, and she didn't believe he'd be returning anytime soon. He clearly didn't have the bells to afford anything in the shop, and she had hoped she'd scared him off enough that he wouldn't return.

On a day off, Labelle decided to stroll around the city. She seemed to have little time for herself anymore, but she also liked being kept busy. It was getting into the summer months now, when the city was packed and the air was hot and she could make out the faintest chirping of cicadas. They weren't as loud as back home, but they were still there all the same.

As she walked, she passed by Shampoodle and Katrina's shop, and she felt guilt build inside her a bit. She had not spoken to Harriet since that day she had stormed out, upset over being fired. It was like a big ball of guilt had built in her stomach from all her past encounters.

But today...maybe she would set one thing right.

Her hands began to tremble and her heart began to pound fast, but she knew Harriet wouldn't hold it against her. It had been six months or so since being fired, and she was doing fine. Better than fine.

Labelle uneasily approached the shop and opened the door. She grinned a bit hearing that familiar bell go off. Even if she was much more satisfied with her job now, she had worked here a couple years, and she would forever be grateful to Harriet for all her kindness.

"Hi, welcome to Shampoodle. How can I help?" Harriet asked. She was turned away from Labelle, placing some scissors back on a tray. Harriet glanced up, her eyes widening.

"Hi," Labelle squeaked.

"Label, is that you?! I hardly recognized you!" the pink poodle exclaimed.

Labelle giggled a bit. "I go by Labelle now, actually."

"Labelle, huh? Sounds fancy. Why the name change?"

Labelle shrugged and stood there awkwardly.

"Are you here for a cut?" Harriet asked.

"I just wanted to stop by and say 'hi' actually," Labelle said. 

"I hope you're not still mad at me."

Labelle shook her head. "I'm sorry for how I acted toward you. I know you had to let me go. I was just worried things wouldn't work out."

"It looks like they have. How expensive are those clothes you're wearing? Is that the GracieGrace brand?"

"I work there," Labelle told her. "I work right alongside Gracie."

"My goodness!" Harriet gasped. "I bet she's paying you more than I ever did."

Labelle laughed. "Yes, but I appreciated you paying me too. I would have had to go home if you hadn't given me that job."

Harriet grinned. "Well, things have died down here. I still get customers, but there's no way I would've still been able to afford paying you."

"How's Katrina?" Labelle asked.

"She doesn't bother me, but I also spend most of my time avoiding her."

Labelle giggled. It was nice to reminisce. She had been so frightened when she had first come to the city, but it seemed like things were finally working out for the better.

"So what compelled you to come today, of all days? I honestly had thought you'd left town," Harriet said.

"It just felt right," Labelle explained. Really, I'm dying of  guilt in all aspects of my life and this relieves it a bit.

"Have you gotten a nice place?" Harriet asked.

"Saving up for one."

"Well, I'm glad you got in on the fashion business after all. And so quick too!" Harriet exclaimed. "You look so much different from when I first hired you."

"Well, I've been here two and a half years now. I guess I didn't even think I'd last one," Labelle told her. "Is your shop doing well though, even with less business?"

"Oh, yes. I still get the regulars. It's enough. Would like to make a little more, but what can you do? That GracieGrace is taking all the business," she teased.

"I don't think half the animals that visit even buy anything," Labelle told her. "But I do like working there. It's a good fit for me."

"I'm glad," Harriet said. The door opened, and a customer entered. It seemed like their conversation was ready to come to an end.

"Well, it was nice seeing you, Harriet."

"You too, Labelle," she said.

Labelle stepped out, feeling a bit of a burden released from her. She had been too scared to walk by Shampoodle for months, but now, all felt right again. Still, there would forever be that nagging in her head of the inevitable reunion with her family.