Forest Spirit

Gin was his name.. "Silver" just like his hair..

Gin and I walked for some time, but it doesn't look like we were about to find the exit any time soon.

"Um... Are you sure we are going the right way?" I questioned him, not certain if I could trust him. He didn't respond back, and he kept silence for a while before answering me.

"It'll take a few days to get out of here.. Will you be okay to travel for a few days?" He gave me an answer I didn't know how to respond to.

I was surprise it'll take that long to get out of this forest. I was sure of myself when Maho, Daisuke and I got here, it didn't take that long. I could only wandered why, and didn't bother asking him since I might not get the response I was hoping for.

"Are you not afraid of me?" Gin broke the silence this time.

"Umm.. Why exactly will I be afraid of you?" I was confused at the sudden question.

"Well, do you always follow strangers when you're lost?" He sarcastically joked.

"N-no, I usually don't! It was sudden and I wasn't sure of what to do!" I frantically panicked, "besides you're a good person, right?! I mean, you offered to lead the way, so I.." I was embarrassed my mind was too scattered, and I could feel my face burning hot.

Gin let out a heartfelt laugh, still wearing the mask, "wouldn't you think, I might have done something bad to you? I mean, even small children are taught not to follow random strangers." He chuckled, and continued, "besides what if I wasn't a "good person"? Things could've turned out differently." He slighty turned to me, "now, I'm curious, what made you agreed to follow me?"

"Well, there was only you in the forest, and you told me last night, you won't do anything funny, sooo... I assume it's safe?.." I sounded unsure of myself.

Gin chuckled at my response, "yes, you're safe, alright, because there are forest spirits everywhere keeping an eye and protecting humans."

I chuckled, "a forest spirit? So you're saying there are forest spirits looking out for us?"

"Hmm.. Yes, there are always forest spirits looking out for lost humans. You have one with you at this very moment," Gin kept his back to me as he spoke.

I stopped at my track and slowly processed what he had say. Gin stopped, and turned to face me.

The only sound I heard was of the dancing leaves among the gentle summer breeze. I couldn't see the color of his eyes, but just by looking at the mask sent a chill down my spine.

"What?.." my eyebrows frown and my eyes widen,"y-y-you're h-human, right?" My eyes closed by reflex and I had an awkward smile on my face.

Gin was silent again, and this confirm what he was. My breath slowly got irregular without me noticing, my body is covered with cold sweats, and I can definitely feel the back of my hair standing.

The cold sweat makes me shiver, and my mind was blank. I could feel my sweaty palms as I grasps them forming a fist.

"Are you implying that you're a spirit and not a human?" This time I make sure my voice was louder, even though it was shakey.

"Yes.." Gin is now fully facing me slightly tilting his head.

My face was as white as a linen sheet. I became speechless, and my legs are weaken. I let go of the stick and sat down under a nearby tree, using the tree trunk to support my fluid like body. I pulled both my knees to my chest and stared at him differently.

Gin slowly approached me, and I tensed up. He noticed and stayed 3 feet from me. I looked at him unbelievably in denial, and rejecting the thought. This time he crouch down to my level, laid his arms on his knees, and rested his head on his arms. He's staring at me, and I'm staring at him as well. We stayed in that position because we didn't know what to say or do, especially me.

Gin broke the silence, " don't be scare, (Y/N), if you want to go home, then please have some faith in me and get up." His voice was soft and tender as he got up, handing me the other end of the stick again.

My thoughts were getting out of hand, and I'm processing everything in. It took me a few minutes to make the final decision.

"O-okay.." I found my voice, and slowly got up. He watched me silently as I took the end of the stick. "Promise you will lead me back?" I was on the verge of tears.

"Yes, of course, that's what we do as forest spirits," Gin happily responded, "Let's get you home, (Y/N)!!"

With that we started walking again. Gin wasn't a bad spirit, and I'm starting to feel like he's going to keep his words. All I could do was stare at his back as we walked in silence.

I wish he had mention it to me sooner before I jumped into conclusion and scaring myself. But somehow hearing his voice really soothes me in a calming effect.