home [erik jones]

word count: 1517
requested by: n/a
summary: Erik and his girlfriend go house shopping
warnings: cute??
date published: August 6, 2017 / 11:41 am

-

I sighed, running my fingers through my straightened hair. I looked over at Erik only to see him looking sympathetically at me. "We'll find it. Don't worry." I gave him a look of doubt but he shot me a smile which swept away a small bit of the anxiety I felt. He grabbed my hand and laced his fingers through mine.

We were house hunting for our first house together. Being that my small apartment wouldn't work for a baby and being that Erik was transitioning from Furniture Row Racing to Joe Gibbs Racing he needed to be closer to JGR.

The car slowed to a stop and Erik opened the door with his unoccupied hand. He placed a soft kiss on my lips before helping me out of the car.

Formerly easy tasks are not so easy to do when you're seven months pregnant. He continued to hold my hand as we followed the real estate agent down the driveway and towards the house. It was a fairly modern looking house. The mix of brick and siding gave it a sophisticated look. And the windows had a modern feel to them, which was nice to me because my last apartment only had one window that faced a building.

As we stepped inside I instinctively placed my hand on my protruding belly. Erik lifted up our intertwined hands and placed a kiss on a hand he thought was mine. However, it was actually his. I giggled but he grumbled in embarrassment. "I was trying to be cute!" He whined. "Don't worry hunny, I think that was cuter than if you'd actually done it correctly." This just caused him to pout even more so I shook my head, laughing to myself.

He immediately straightened up as soon as our agent began talking. I rolled my eyes knowing he wanted to seem mature in front of him.

Our agent, Ronny, took us into the living room area. It was a big open area with one column on each side of the room, adding to the modern feel. There was no furniture of course, but I could just imagine the television against the wall with a couch in front of it. I daydreamed about Erik and our little baby playing in a play set behind the couch.

I didn't even notice that Ronny had finished his speech as Erik tugged me gently towards the kitchen. He sent me a raised eyebrow look, as if to ask 'are you okay?' I nodded and smiled at him gently.

The marble countertops in the kitchen matched perfectly with the off white walls. There was an island in the middle of the kitchen, which I ran my hands over slowly. The cool marble gave me slight chills. The big open style window really brightened up the area. I imagined a kitchen table there, where Erik could catch me up on his debriefings.

Another smile broke out onto my lips. Ronny continued to talk about the marble on the countertops and how it was picked out specifically to match the cabinets and reflect the light shining on it from the open window.

A small gasp escaped from my mouth and I moved quickly towards the door to the backyard, pulling Erik with me. "Look baby! It's a big backyard!" I squealed. From our previous house discussions Erik knew that a spacious backyard is something that I've been deprived of since birth, so he knew our first house had to have one.

"It's a little too big isn't it?" He asked as he continued to inspect it. I quickly slapped his arm. "That's not even a thing!" I scoffed. "Well I mean who's going to take care of it when we're gone on the weekends?" "You're not going to mow it everyday are you? It's not like a child that needs constant attention!" He looked at me skeptically. "Are you sure? Because last time I checked you've never had one before." At this point I had gathered that he was messing me. I rolled my eyes, unable to hide my smile from showing. He kissed me cheek softly and squeezed our intertwined hands.

"Follow me this way please." Ronny spoke, grabbing our attention. I blushed, realizing how awkward it must've been for Ronny to see us being cute when he's here all alone. We followed him towards a door on the opposite side of the wall. He opened it and waved his hand in front of it like they do with the boxes on 'Deal or No Deal'. "This is the garage. Lots of space here."

Erik laughed, shaking his head. "Not if you have more than two cars." Ronny coughed and looked uncomfortable. "Yes, well, you could always park them outside." I shoved Erik with my hip for messing around with Ronny. "I'm just messing with you Ronny!" He laughed. Ronny didn't seem to think it was as funny as Erik did though. He just nodded to himself and then moved into the mud room behind the stairs. "So this is the mud room. Cabinetry comes pre-installed." Ronny slid out behind us to let us get a better look at the small space.

There was a door to the garage and along the walls on all sides were cabinets of different sizes. On the two bottom rows along the bottom were small boxes for shoes. I couldn't help but envision our little baby's shoes down there. Erik must have been thinking the same thing, because he looked over at me with watery eyes. "We're actually going to have a baby!" I mumbled under my breath. He kissed my lips softly and leaned his forehead against mine. "Hell yeah we are." "Let's not keep poor Ronny waiting any longer." He let out a laugh and led me out the door. We followed Ronny up the stairs.

The first room on the right was a small room with a closet and a window across from it. A small bathroom accompanied the room. "Baby room?" I whispered into Erik's ear. He nodded and squeezed my hand. The next room was on the left. It was the master bedroom. It was so big that we could even fit the crib in there for the first few months. There was a walk in closet and a master bathroom.

"What are you thinking so far?" Ronny asked. "I love it!" I squealed. Erik laughed at my excitement but nodded. "I think it's great!" Ronny smiled, obviously pleased with himself. "Only a few more stops!" He called and continued down the hall. "Here's another bedroom. And this one is a another bedroom or a playroom or whatever." He said and pointed at two rooms at the end of the hall. "You guys look at these and I'll meet you at the bottom of the stairs, okay?" We nodded and he walked down the stairs.

I stepped into the first room and Erik followed. "This one has a bathroom too! Wow." He laughed and nodded. "This is a cute corner room." I nodded. "Let's look at the last one." I let him lead me out of that room and into the last one. "This would be a good play room if the baby's bedroom was the one next to this one. It'd be weird if their room was all the way on the other end of the hall." He nodded, agreeing with me.

We made our way down the stairs and I recognized the door where we came in. "So this is the dining room, and that's another open space." Ronny said. I nodded and followed him back into the living room. "Oh!" He exclaimed. "How could I forget the basement?"

Erik's eyes lit up excitedly. I knew this was something he wanted. He had so many memories with his family, especially with his father, in his basement and he wanted to create more memories with his new family in his own basement. The look on his face as we walked down the stairs into the basement told me he was sold.

At the bottom of the stairs on the left was a small office that I could use. To the right was an open space with a small bathroom on the left wall. There was a bar area in the middle of the room. Erik looked at me with a devilish smile. "You better get all of your partying in before this little monster comes." I warned him. He rolled his eyes laughing. "Yes, mom." "Oh please!" He laughed and squeezed my hand.

"On this wall is a separate room. Maybe a storage room or a tv room?" Ronny explained as we walked into the room. Half of it was elevated, giving me that movie room feel. We followed Ronny back out into the middle of the basement.

"So this is basically it. The door on the wall over there goes out to the backyard and there's a small patio area." I leaned my head on Erik's shoulder, smiling. "So what do you think?" He asked, apprehensively.

"We're sold." I grinned. This will be our home.