it's time [joey logano]

word count: 1402
requested by: n/a
summary: Joey and his girlfriend are expecting their first child any day now
warnings: n/a
date published: August 8, 2017 / 2:20 pm

-

"Hey Joey can you help me, real quick?" I grumbled as I tried to slip my sandals on. But due to my large pregnant belly I couldn't see my feet. "Joey!" I called again. "I'm coming!" He sighed, out of breath as he walked through the doorway and into the living room. "What is it?" He asked as he looked at me. "Is it time?" He questioned, suddenly getting nervous. He had been asking this question for the last month constantly, but to his defense I am due next week.

I giggled and shook my head. "No, I just need help putting on my shoes." He gave me a sypathetic smile and walked over to me. He knelt down and I lifted my feet up so he could slide my sandals on. "Are you feeling okay? Are you sure you should be going out?" I smiled and kissed his lips softly. "I promise I'm f-" I let out a groan. "Am I that bad of a kisser?" He joked. "No, someone wanted to kick me awfully hard." I held my stomach and closed my eyes, letting the wave of nausea pass.

"Baby, you can stay home if you want to. It's not a big deal. You can just watch the race from here." I shook my head. "No, this is the last race I'll be able to go to for a while and I want to support you. Besides, this little squeaker isn't due until Wednesday." He gave me a questioning look but I just ignored him and tried to push myself up off the couch. When he saw that I was struggling he grabbed my hand and pulled me up gently.

I waddled away from the couch with my hand on stomach, protectively. "Have you finished packing?" I asked and followed him into our shared bedroom. "Yeah, I just need to take it out to the car. Is this all of your stuff?" He asked and motioned to my suitcase and duffel bag. "Yep. The baby bag is already in the car right?" He nodded. "I'm so scared." I mumbled and leaned my head against Joey's chest. He sighed as rubbed my back.

"You know you're an amazing wife right?" I smiled up at him. "Thank you." "So therefore you're automatically gonna be a great mother." I laughed. "Yeah I'm not sure it works like that, but thank you." He laughed and kissed my nose. "I have to go put this stuff in the car so we can leave on time and Mr. Penske doesn't have a heart attack." I laughed. "Yeah, you need to keep your job."

Joey grabbed my suitcase and swung both of our duffel bags over his shoulder. "Don't touch anything, I'll be back." I rolled my eyes as he walked out. I may be pregnant but I'm not helpless. I crossed my arms over my chest as I waited impatiently for Joey to come back.

He walked through the door and sighed at my stubbornness. "I'm just trying to look out for you." he tried. I just nodded. "I know. You know i'm stubborn." He laughed. "Stubborn is an understatement." I scoffed and slapped his arm. "Watch yourself Logano!" He laughed. "You know that doesn't work anymore now that you're a Logano too, right?"

"Whatever." I laughed and began waddling to the truck. "Oh you know I'm right!" He called after me. I shook my head laughing. I climbed into the passenger seat and tried to get as comfortable as a nine months pregnant woman could.

Joey climbed into the drivers seat as soon as he locked the house door and put the rest of the luggage in the bed of the truck. "You know we're lucky that you're due the week that I'm in Charlotte." Joey laughed as we pulled out onto the road. "Yeah, everyone will be close by and I can go see you race." I nodded. "So who's on stand by?" "Ryan Reed." "Aw I like him." Joey nodded. "Yeah he's cool. I think we're gonna let him run the second practice so he can get a feel of the car."

❁❁

"Nice run, Jo." I smiled when he climbed out of the car after qualifying. "Thanks, babe. Are you sure you're doing okay? Cause I can get you home." I smiled and placed a kiss on his lips sweetly. "I promise if I'm not up to it I'll let you know. But you need to focus on your car." He sighed and nodded, knowing I was right.

"Why are you always so smart?" I laughed. "It's a talent I was born with, what can I say?" He shook his head, laughing. "It's hot out here, let's go into the motorhome." I nodded and grabbed his hand to follow him to an air conditioned heaven. "Gosh it's hot out there. I can't imagine driving in these conditions. You're like a saint." I laughed and sat down on the couch.

I let out a yawn, covering my mouth. "Do you want to take a nap? I can imagine it's hard carrying a baby around." I shook my head. "No I'll be fine." Joey shook his head. "Come on, you're gonna take a nap. I could use one too actually." I sighed, knowing he was right. Joey helped me up off of the couch and led me to the bedroom with a hand on my stomach.

He pulled back the covers and helped me lay down. He pulled the covers over me and the walked around to the other side and climbed in. I laid with my back against his chest. His arm was slung over my waist, rubbing my belly softly. "Gosh I can't wait till this squirt is out of me so I can sleep comfortably." Joey let out a chuckle and swept my hair away from my neck, leaving a soft kiss in place instead.

Joey continued to rub my belly, calming me until I fell asleep.

❁❁

The national anthem played and Joey wrapped one hand around my waist while the other he placed over his heart. I smiled and leaned into him. He glanced down at me before focusing his attention back on the flag.

The invocations were said and we were ready to get racing. Joey hopped into his car and I blew him a good luck kiss. He pretended to catch it which made me smile. He's gonna make such a great father, I know it.

Soon the green flag waved and they were racing. Ryan was sitting with me up in the box. "If anything happens tell me, okay?" He said. I nodded. I knew that I wouldn't get Joey out of the car for something minor because he needed to finish this race for points in the championship. As long as he started he would get the points, so it was pretty mandatory that he show up and at least do a few laps.

80 or so laps had gone by before I turned to Ryan and gave him the look. He asked no questions but told everyone Joey needed to come back. "You timed it well, he needed to pit soon anyways." I offered him a small smile and he climbed down quickly.

I braced myself before following ryan down the ladder. My hands were sweaty when Joey climbed quickly out of the car and ran over to me. "It's time?" I nodded and bit my lip. Joey grabbed the golf cart that was reserved for us and helped me onto it. He sped to the parking lot and pulled his truck up to the sidewalk so I wouldn't have to walk very far.

I held onto his hand tightly as he drove down the highway to the nearest hospital. When we got out he kissed my cheek quickly and ran into the main lobby to get a nurse. He came back out with two nurses and a wheelchair. They helped me into the wheelchair and wheeled me into a room. They changed me into scrubs and I laid out on a bed.

I squeezed Joey's hand nervously. The realization of what was happening suddenly hit me. We were having a baby. A real human with feelings and emotions. Something that Joey and I created. "It's time." I cried with tears in my eyes. He smiled, watery eyed as well. "It's time. We're finally having a baby."