the lion king [harrison burton]

word count: 1024
requested by: justjones77
summary: Abby and Harrison are reunited at a pre-season party at Kyle Busch Motorsports
warnings: a/n
date published: August 22, 2017 / 12:32 am
authors note: yes I know the gif isn't Harrison (again.. I'm sorry but they don't have gifs for truck drivers) so just imagine it's him, also if you requested an imagine I promise it's coming I've just been really busy

-

"Abby! So nice of you to show up!" Cassandra Zook called as I pushed open the big glass door at the Kyle Busch Motorsports offices. "I apologize Mrs. Zook. This is not how I wanted to start the week." I said quickly as I tucked a strand of my hair behind my ear. She said nothing, just tapped her pen against the clipboard she was holding. "Mr. Busch would like you to attend the pre-season party. I have no idea why, considering you're so far behind, but he's the boss." I nodded and walked briskly to the elevator to get away from her as quickly as possible. Like any employee, I want to spend as much time away from my boss as possible.

I was hired a few weeks ago by Kyle Busch Motorsports. I manage the social media accounts for KBM and the Nascar Trucks accounts. My presence was needed on short notice, which is probably the only reason I got the job. I obviously wasn't Mrs. Zook's preference, but I guess her boss thought differently of me.

The elevator let me off at my floor and I rushed into my small cluttered office. Boxes littered the tiny space. Due to the bad job the previous employee was doing I've been too busy catching up on her work to finish unpacking. I opened up my laptop and pulled up the company email to find the time for the pre-season party. 11 am. I glanced at my watched and nearly let out a shriek. 10:54 am.

I set my bag down next to my desk and readjusted my skirt before hurrying out the door and reboarding the elevator. It took me to the main level and I regained my composure as I walked, with purpose as my mother would say, to the large doors of the gathering hall. My walking was so purposeful that I didn't notice someone else trying to go to the same place.

"I'm so sorry!" I exclaimed as my shoulder hit the side of a tall brunette. He looked down at me and I immediately recognized the face of Harrison Burton. We grew up together but lost contact when we switched schools and began to take his racing seriously. He obviously didn't recognize me because he simply smiled and let me walk in front of him. I nodded and shot him a smile before walking in and looking around at all of the people, having no idea where to sit.

"Can't find your friends?" A voice asked from next to me. I quickly turned around and saw Harrison. "Harrison! Um, I actually know nobody here." I laughed nervously and flattened out my skirt nervously. "Well, I'm pretty sure there's an empty seat at my table. Being a rookie kid who's only racing a few times doesn't really get you a lot of fans." He smiled and waved his hand, signaling me to follow him. I took a deep breath and followed him to his table.

"For you," He smiled and pulled out a chair at the round table. I blushed and sat down, thanking him. "You look familiar. What's your name?" He asked as he sat down next to me. "Abby." I said quietly. He looked at me for a few seconds, probably trying to make the connection. All of a sudden his eyes lit up. "Abby? As in my old friend, Abby?" I laughed and nodded. "That's me! Unless you happen to know another Abby as a kid?" He shook his head, smiling. "I didn't recognize you, wow. You've really grown up." I blushed and clasped my hands togther under the table.

"You've matured, yourself." He smirked and turned his attention to the stage at the sound of a man clearing his throat. We watched eagerly as Kyle introduced the drivers for the 2017 season, including Harrison. He made a few team announcements before signaling for the caterers to bring out the food. Everyone cheered and stood up to make their way to the food. Harrison followed me to get in line. "So how've you been?" He asked.

I laughed and rolled my eyes. "That's the best you could do?" He raised his eyebrow, giving me a questioning look. "What?" I giggled and shook my head. "I thought you could do better than that, Burton." He glared at me, sticking his tongue out. "Okay, how about, is your favorite movie still The Lion King?" I gave him a cheeky grin, nodding. "What a classic. That will forever be my favorite movie." He laughed and followed as we moved up in line.

"I'm starving, I didn't eat breakfast this morning." He whined. I laughed and shook my head. "Rookie mistake." He stared at me, causing me to laugh. "I couldn't help myself!" He shook his head, laughing. "I'm disappointed Abs." My heart swelled at the use of my childhood nickname. "Dusted that one off huh?" He shrugged. "Only for you." I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms over my chest. "Smooth. Real smooth, Harry." I teased. He glared at me and pouted as we continued to move up in the line.

"So, I haven't seen it in a while, maybe we should watch The Lion King together." He asked nervously as he rubbed the back of his neck. I smirked as I watched him stand there awkwardly. "Is that a date? Are you asking me out on a date?" He grinned sheepishly. "If you want it to be, it is." I laughed at his cheesiness, but nodded. "It's a date then. I need something to distract me from this job anyways. My boss isn't exactly fond of me." He laughed and shrugged. "Someone not liking you? That's unheard of!" I rolled my eyes, remembering all of the past fights I had gotten into as a child.

"Don't worry, I like you. And that's all that matters." He cheesed and reached out to grab my hand. I let him take it as I blushed uncontrollably. "This isn't gonna work out if you don't stop being cute." He laughed and squeezed my hand. "Oh, you know you love it."