spy on a mission [ryan truex]

word count: 1458

requested by: @bowlinggirl12
summary: Ryan Reed's father is not a fan of his sister dating boys, and especially racers, so he sent Ryan on a mission to see what Raelynn Reed is doing
warnings: I think I used one bad word
date published: April 4, 2020 / 10:25 pm
authors note: I had to use a gif of Ryan Reed because I couldn't find one of Ryan Truex

-

"Would you stop!" Raelynn groaned as her brother, Ryan tried to snatch her phone from her hands. "No! Who are you looking at?" He gave her the wiggly eyebrows so Raelynn knew he was playing but she was not in the mood. Especially not with their father around.

Mark Reed was not a fan of his daughter with boys. Especially not the racing kind. During her high school years, Raelynn tried to grow a relationship with Noah Gragson but he not so kindly told her he valued his racing career more than their relationship.

While this didn't deter Raelynn, it did deter her father. Every time a boy was brought up he was thoroughly examined and deemed unfit. So it was reasonable the Raelynn was trying to keep her Instagram stalking to herself. And that's all she thought it was.

Raelynn and Ryan Truex barely spoke. They crossed paths in the garage today and he gave her a warm smile and naturally, Raelynn resorted to Instagram to get her Ryan Truex fill.

"I'm not even looking at anyone," Raelynn lied through her teeth. "Good," Mark Reed gruffed and plopped down on the couch across them in Ryan's small motorhome. Ryan rolled his eyes and continued to persist. He was shoving Raelynn trying to grab her phone.

Raelynn tried to give him a signal with her eyes, saying Can we talk about this later? I don't want dad to hear. But Ryan didn't seem to understand. That or he didn't care. After all, it is his job to make sure she doesn't get hurt again.

Eventually, Ryan gave up. Raelynn was very persistent in her negative response. The trio, Ryan, Raelynn, and Mark, continued to relax in the motorhome. In the middle of a very dragged out conversation about Ryan's car, a knock on the door was heard. "I'll get it," Ryan volunteered.

He came back and motioned for Raelynn. She huffed but walked to the door. To her surprise, it was the boy who smiled at her earlier. Ryan Truex stood on the steps of the motorhome in jeans and a t-shirt.

"Hey, Raelynn," he started. He glanced at her brother with hesitation but chose to continue. "My friends canceled tonight and you've always been a positive presence in the garage, so I was wondering if you wanted to grab some food later?"

Butterflies exploded in Raelynn's stomach. It had been so long since a boy had given her any attention and it was refreshing to feel noticed. "I would love to. Can I meet you at your motorhome at 7?" Truex nodded and turned to head home. He looked over his shoulder to send Raelynn another soft smile. She grinned back and closed the door.

On the other side of the door, Mark Reed took suspectingly. "Who was that?" Panic instantly rocked Raelynn. How does he always know everything? "Just a friend that came to say hello," Ryan covered for her. She nodded, although deep down she knew her father would not fall for her lie.

"Yeah, well it better be the female kind." Raelynn rolled her eyes and headed towards the closet. "I'm getting ready for bed." Ryan and his father nodded and preceded to sit back down on the couch. Raelynn changed into a nicer outfit than her previous sweatpants and applied another layer of mascara to her lashes.

She closed the door of the bedroom she and Ryan shared when she came to the track. Ryan knew where she was going so she didn't bother leaving a note. With a heavy shove, she pushed the window open and heaved herself up. With a thud she hopped her father didn't hear, she landed on the outside of the motorhome. She jumped up to push the window closed and she was free.

Raelynn began her hike to find Ryan Truex's motorhome. While she put up a brave front in front of him, she actually had no idea where his motorhome was.

Soon enough she spotted it. Raelynn put on her bravest face and knocked on the door. Her stomach felt like Jello and her knees felt like pudding but her face radiated a beautiful smile. Ryan opened the door and a grin immediately spread on his face.

"I've been at the track all day and I'm not that great at making food, so, what do you say we get out of here?" Ryan already had his hat and shoes on as if he knew she would say yes. He was right, Raelynn nodded. The two hopped in his truck on drove off to the closest diner.

"So, do you come to the races by choice?" Ryan asked her after they were seated in a booth. Raelynn nodded. "I love going to races. Everyone always has such positive energy and it's always so exciting." Truex nodded his head. "I wish I still had that thrill," he sighed. Sadness filled Raelynn's heart as she watched his head fall. "What happened?" She asked softly.

Ryan met with Raelynn's comforting eyes and suddenly felt compelled to show her his heart. "I basically grew up racing. I loved it so it wasn't a problem, but if I didn't enjoy it I don't think I would've had a choice. Basically everyone in my family races." Raelynn nodded slowly. "It's basically the opposite for me," she confessed. "Ryan was the first one who wanted to race so my family had to start from scratch and learn how to support him."

"I think that's cool," Ryan offered a small smile. "How supporting your family is, I mean. I tried to bring up a different career to my dad and he played the guilt card, saying he's worked so hard for our family." She didn't know what came over her but Raelynn reached across the table and grabbed Ryan's hands. She gave them a gentle squeeze to show her support. He looked up at her and a small smile crept through his worn facade.

"I've only been with you a little bit, but I already feel better than I have all day," Ryan confided. Raelynn felt her heart begin to race even faster than it already was. "Do you mean that?" She questioned. He nodded. "You have such positive energy. I think you could put a smile on Grump Cat."

"A cat?" She laughed. "I'd have to be pretty talented to put a smile on a cat!" "Trust me, you could do it. I have a feeling you could do anything you put your mind to," Ryan declared. His compliment gave Raelynn a sudden vote of confidence and she found herself leaning over the table.

Ryan met her halfway and the pair shared a heartfelt kiss. Raelynn's heart thudded in her chest at the thought of what she was doing. She pulled away with a large grin on her face. She continued to smile until she saw her brother in the corner of her eye. Her brother. Her brother is here.

He just watched her kiss Ryan Truex. She quickly slid out from booth and gave an apologetic frown to Truex. "I'll be right back, I'm so sorry." She didn't even give him time to wipe the dumbstruck look off his face and respond.

Raelynn bounded down the aisle of the restaurant, and right to her brother who sat in a booth by himself with a menu in front of his face. "Ahem," she coughed. Slowly, Ryan pulled the menu down from his face, revealing his embarrassing red cheeks.

"May I ask what you're doing here?" She demanded. "No, you may not." Ryan teased. He suddenly sensed she was not in the mood to play games. "Dad sent me okay. You know how he is. He heard you talking to Ryan." Raelynn groaned and balled her hands into fists. She had never felt this kind of anger towards her father before and it startled her.

"Don't you dare go report back to him what you saw." Ryan rolled his eyes. "And how are you gonna stop me?" He pushed.

That was the last thing Raelynn needed for the anger to bubble over. "Ryan Reed I swear to God if you go back and tattle on me like a little boy, I will not be afraid to run to Daddy and tell him all about your one night stand with your assistant last week. Don't push me," she warned.

Ryan's eyes darkened. He understood. "I'll tell him you went for a walk," he uttered. Raelynn nodded. "Good. Now, I'm going back to my date. Have a good night." And with that, she walked off and slid back into the booth with Ryan Truex.

His eyes were wide as she proceeded to interlace her hands as if that hadn't just happened in the middle of a diner. "You are badass," he gaped. Raelynn grinned. "Oh, you haven't seen badass."

Their night was just getting started.