pizza [ricky stenhouse jr.]

word count: 1097
requested by: no one lol
summary: A relationship is born through a blind date
warnings: None 
date published: March 31, 2020 / 8:12 am
authors note: I don't think I'

-

"Hey, you know how I said I may have someone who's interested in taking you out?" Ricky winked at me as he swallowed his bite of pizza. Immediately I perked up. Butterflies in my stomach erupted at the thought of Ricky Stenhouse Jr. wanting to take me on a date. "Yeah," I grinned and placed my slice of pizza down on my plate.

"Well, he happens to love pizza as well so I'll tell him you'll be expecting him right here, tomorrow night at 7." I grinned and began to twirl my hair flirtatiously. "Well, you can tell him not to assume I'll go with him." Ricky huffed in frustration. "Okay, fine. I'll tell him he needs to call and ask. I'll send him your contact info." He pulled out his phone to text someone. Immediately I scolded myself for being so naive. How could I have thought it was Ricky who wanted to go out with me?

"Um, by the way, who is it?" Ricky looked up at me and laughed. "Let's keep it a surprise." I groaned and rolled my eyes. He knew I hated surprises. "You'll have a good time. And if not, I'll buy you an entire Hawaiian pizza and you can sit in your apartment and eat it all by yourself thinking about how much you hate me." I let a smile grow on my face. "Okay, deal." We shook on it and left the restaurant.

The next evening I curled my hair, straightened my hair, and then curled it again. This was my first "blind" date and I wasn't liking it so far. How could I know who to dress for if I didn't know who I was meeting? Eventually, I chose a flattering summer dress and relaxed curls. I pinned two strands of hair to the back of my head and brushed on my second coat of mascara. I stepped back to look in the mirror. Looking pretty good if I do say so myself.

I called an Uber and requested to be taken to the local pizza shop. I hopped out of the Uber, thanked the driver, and walked into the restaurant. I decided it was best not to order until my date got here so I picked an empty booth and sat down on the side facing the door. The joint wasn't too busy so, hopefully, I would be able to pick out who my date was as he walked through the door.

The clock ticked on until it was 7:15, still no date. Ricky had definitely said 7 pm. I sighed and stood up. I suppose my date decided he wasn't interested. I decided to get the large pizza Ricky agreed to before I left.

I walked up to the counter and the girl working asked me what I wanted. "Can I have a large Hawaiian pizza please?" She nodded. "And is that for here or to go?" She gave me sad eyes so she must have picked up on what was going on. "Uh, to go please." A voice from behind me said otherwise. "Can we make that for here actually?" I turned around and saw Ricky behind me. He was wearing a buttoned-down shirt and blue jeans. My heart fluttered at the sight of him. "This one's on you Ricky, he didn't even show up."

He sighed and pulled out his card to pay. "Can we sit and talk?" I nodded and followed him to our usual table. "Listen, it's my fault your date didn't show up tonight." "What?" I asked. How could Ricky be at fault? If my date chose not to show up that sounds like his fault. "I originally called my friend Alex to meet you here tonight. But it was almost time for your date and suddenly the thought of you meeting another guy at our spot just seemed to make me sick."

I listened carefully to his words. What does that mean? "So, I called Alex and told him you were sick. I just couldn't stand the thought of you being here with him." I sighed. "Ricky, I know this is our spot. I could've met Alex somewhere else!" Ricky shook his head. "No, that's not what I mean. I started the think about why this was the first time I was setting you up with someone when you've been asking so long." "Well, that's because you said no one was interested." I knew this was true but it stung a little bit when the words came out of my mouth.

He chuckled quietly and began messing with his fingers. Why on Earth was he so nervous? "That was a lie. All of my friends ask if you're single. The truth is I didn't want any of them to go out with you." Here it comes. He's going to call me his little sister and my heart is going to snap. 

"Look, Ricky, just don't even say it. I know you think I'm like your little sister." He groaned. "No! You don't understand. I used to say that, I know, but I think it's because I just was too scared to tell you how I really feel. I have feelings for you. Strong feelings. And it took me until tonight to realize that."

I finally let down my walls. "Do you mean it, Ricky? You like me as more than your friend?" He nodded and reached out for my hands. He held my hands softly, giving them a gentle squeeze. "I'm sorry it took me this long to realize it." I grinned. "You have no idea how long I've waited for this moment."

Together we seemed to be at peace.

"So, does this mean I get to kiss you?" The butterflies in my stomach erupted and I gave a small nod. He leaned across the table and placed it lips on mine. In a rush of emotion, I leaned into him deepening our kiss.

"Excuse me?" The girl from the register stood next to our table with the pizza I ordered. "I didn't mean to interrupt," she said shyly. Ricky and I looked at each other and giggled. A blush crept onto my cheeks but I thanked her for the pizza and she left.

"It's safe to say I have enjoyed this date," I smiled. He grinned. "So, I don't owe you any more pizza?" I laughed. "Yeah, right. You're going to be buying my pizza for the rest of your life." He shook his head and lifted up my hand placing a gentle kiss. "It would be my pleasure."