Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE

It had been several hours and yet our intrepid travellers had no luck in finding Schuh Kopf –or any of the other men (Zafa being Baenab's number one priority, obviously). They had waged two bloody battles with hordes of zombies thus far, only this time everyone made sure to only grievously harm the zombies, rather than kill them, now that they knew there was a potential cure out there somewhere.

By the third hour since they had left the safe confines of the Ofghan Kebabs (because that was what Zafa's organisation of men was called), Laybi had grown thoroughly sick of the entire escapade and was now begging Harriet that they ditch the entire group to go have some Israelbucks.

"But Laybi," Harriet whispered under her breath as they tagged behind the rest of the group, "Israelbucks is outside of the school grounds. One would have to actually get out of the school, which is entirely impossible for obvious reasons..."

"Not if Yulicious were here..." Laybi sighed mournfully over the lover who had run away from her (but he hadn't run away from her specifically, of course; he was just shy around new people).

"Laybi, just stop, you knew him for what? Like, two minutes, under which you were his hostage." Harriet rolled her eyes, her patience having finally been worn thin by Laybi's erratic outbursts that had progressively become more aggravating as the day had drawn on. "Plus I heard he isn't even into Pakistani women. Finds bindis to be very weird, so I've heard."

"But Pakistani women don't wear bindis!" Laybi cried hysterically and the rest of the group stopped in alarm and turned to look at her. She shot Harriet a filthy look. "How dare you culturally appropriate an entire item which is so sacred to Hindu women all over the world! God dammit Harriet, I thought you of all people would understand how devastating it can be for a POC woman to undergo through so much oppression and racism! Don't rah-rah at me about such things when you yourself—"

"Well, well, well, look what we have here."

Everybody jumped at the new voice that had cut into Laybi's tirade and whirled around to be faced by none other than Harward the Holy himself, draped in a new cloak – sparkly, this time, with a tinge of pink to it – who cast them a malicious smile. His long thin fingers were also holding what was a gun, except it too was sequined and glittery.

"What's with the new get-up, going for the Malibu Barbie look?" Baenab sniggered. No one had the time to jump into action in the time that Harward had raised his gun, pointing it directly at Baenab's forehead, and pulled the trigger. There was a loud bang, a shriek, and the thudding of a body against the floor.

"NO!" Everyone screamed. Kaitlyn fell to her knees, feeling as though the wind had been knocked from her own body, and she scooped Baenab's motionless form in her arms.

"She didn't even get to have her first kiss with Zafa," Laybi murmured in a trance-like state.

"She's had her first kiss alright," PreetyKiran said with a smirk before she remembered that Baenab had just been shot and contorted her expression into a sad frown.

Kaitlyn had only just let out a howl that sounded like the one John Watson let out when Mary died (Sherlock fans know what I'm talking about) when Harward tsked. He had only moved a step forward when he found three guns being pointed directly back at him.

"An eye for an eye, as they say," Cho Han hissed. Harward, to their immense surprise, merely smirked.

"Oh, I wouldn't do that if I were you," he said coolly. "One small mark on my body and you'll find that you're responsible for a friend's death. You see, I've installed some cameras around this area and my bodyguards are watching you as we speak. Some of you have been marked as targets. You pull the trigger," his eyes moved ominously from Cho Han to Abby Ghale, "and you might find that the person next to you has been shot as well. Now we wouldn't want a mess on these lovely school floors now, do we? It'd save the cleaning ladies quite a lot of trouble."