-Chapter 1- The Beginning

Our community is one of many, all have the same deal with Them.  Just like other communities our home is only a single building with no windows or way to go outside except through the steel passage. Our building has a grand kitchen, a cafeteria, a living room, a single classroom, and six bedrooms. The bedrooms are filled to the brim with cots. Our population is stationed at five-hundred and sixty-two currently. Eight of those citizens are chosen to be on the council. The requirements to be on said council are to have survived the week of chosen. The week of chosen is a unwanted 'tradition' but is required to happen every month for our protection. The week of chosen is when everyone between sixteen and forty has their name is put in a draw. From there two names are picked, regardless of gender or race they are sent to the barren outside. Those sent outside are to run and hide for a week, after the week is up they may return. Most never return and are captured by them. What they do no one knows because no one has returned. 

Jed awaits like the others, in lines according to age, as the normal speech goes like every month. He had turned sixteen months ago, this is the seventh one he's been to. Like everyone, he thought 'There are so many people there's little chance it's me.' But he was highly mistaken. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Greetings, and welcome to our monthly tradition. Most of you have heard this speech many times, a few of you today are hearing this for the first time, I welcome you. Today we will draw two brave individual's names so they can be sent on the chosen week. I bid all of you good luck." Our oldest council member relays the speech, but pauses before giving her own word of advice. 

"To those chosen, I tell you to run, hide, and never move towards the blue light." She speaks with great intensity that everyone listens. Everyone tenses as she moves her hand into the bowl. She soon picks out the first name, and saws it out loud.

"Eleigh Cohen, you have been chosen." The young man came from the 19 age group, he gave no protests as he silently walked up to stand next to the Council Member. The woman lays a hand on his shoulder and gives him a nod, he then moves to stand behind her. The tense air grows as she reaches for the second name. 

"Jed Bryne, you have been chosen." Jed looks up to his name, his mind is filled with dread as he silently walked up to the elderly woman, that he commonly called grandma. Her eyes filled with tears as she lied her hand on his shoulder, giving him the same nod she's given many times before. He joins the other boy behind her. 

"Theese are the chosen men for this month, may god be with them." 

"May god be with them."  Everyone repeats the same phrase. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN- First Chapter and New story!!