Chapter 7 : The Day You Find Out Why

Timeskip: The Next Day Fivish in the morning

It was a cloudy, misty morning out in the street today as you sat in the chair, looking through the small gap in one of the windows. Not a single person or bot in sight. You turned around to see that John was starting to wake up, "Morning. Sleep alright?" You asked the old man.

"To be honest, that has been the most peaceful sleep I've had in a long time."

"Is it because you went to sleep knowing that your daughter was alive and okay?"

"Probably. Anything happen while I was asleep?"

"Nah, not really. It's been pretty quiet out there. But I do have something to tell you."

"What now?"

"A little bit ago, I used my communicator to get an update from Overwatch. To see when they're going to come in and save the day like they always do. It turns out that they have been forbidden by the British government to operate in King's Row. They can't get involved unless the government says so. And to top it all off, all extractions out of King's Row along with any surrounding areas have been ceased until further notice. God knows how long that'll be." You took your communicator out and held it in your hands. " To make matters worse, my transmission got cut off. Null Sector must have some kind of signal jammers out there blocking out any out going transmissions."

John seemed shocked at what he just heard. He turned to face the wall, put his feet on the rug and looked down with disappointment. You put your face into your hands and slid them off of it. You sighed, wondering if this was it.

"We're never getting out of here, are we John?" You said hopelessly, ready for him to agree with you.

"Not necessarily. It's not over yet."

You looked to John, curiosity being your expression. "What? All the extractions have ended, the streets are filled with Null Sector troops and Overwatch can't come and save the day. What do you mean it's not over?"

"I'm saying that we may still have one more round in the chamber."

You went over to John and looked him straight in the eye. "John? Are you saying..that you know a way out of King's Row?"

He nodded and suddenly you had hope once again. "Well, I'm all ears! How do we do it? How do we get out? Now don't mess with me on this, alright ? If you tell me to imagine myself somewhere else or ask me to tap the heels of my shoes three times and say 'There's no place like home!'*, I'm gonna be pretty pissed."

"How well do you know King's Row? Directions wise?"

"Well before I got here, I looked at a map of King's Row from a brochure I picked up at the airport. Heck, I think I still have it here in my pocket." You searched your right pocket to see that it was still there, folded and crinkly.

"Let me see that." You handed the brochure to John for him to examine it. He then nodded his head and placed his finger on the map. "Right here in this part of King's Row, there's a small bookstore here called Moriarty's Fine Books. In that shop, there's a hidden door that leads to an old underground network of tunnels that go under London, even the Thames River."

Oh my god he's lost it, hasn't he? Well, you got nothing better to do so might as well humor him.

"Okay John, answer me this. How do you know about this?"

He pointed at himself, "S.A.S., remember? I was part of the emergency task force unit that would be responsible for getting the royal family or any other person of importance out of harm's way safely. That's what these tunnels were built for and they've been here for hundreds of years. If London was to ever come under attack and the Queen was outside of the palace, we'd have to use these tunnels to get her back to Buckingham and it works the same way if the palace was no longer safe."