Chapter 1: Electric ain't it...

You picked at the food on your plate with your fork pushing the produce back and forth, somehow you just weren't that hungry anymore. You were lost in the nearly hypnotic way the noodle wraps around the sharp edge of the metal cutlery before dropping slowly back onto the plate from the sheer miracle of gravity. Even though this was one of your first meal's in days, you couldn't bring yourself to stuff your face.

You should be at home, whoever was waiting for you must be worried right about now. Well of course they would be...if you had someone to go back too. So far, you didn't have a home, at least not anymore. You decided only 2 years ago to start your journey to find where you belong. And so far...it hasn't been going well. Although you had a home once...you had no reason to go back, nor did you want to go back.

It was nearly midnight, or that's what you thought since it seemed the sun went down only a few hours ago. The moon gave little lighting as you sat with only your bookbag at your side to keep you company. You sigh as you tamper with the hood covering your face as the wind blows softly causing the hair to stand up on your bare arm's.

Your eye's drift toward's the shadow's to your right inching towards you slowly but, cautiously. You currently sit at the edge of an alleyway with your food balanced on your knee's.

You sigh softly before closing your plastic container ignoring the constant growl of your aching stomach. You lean your head back onto the brick wall behind you before your head turn's into the darkness of the alleyway with a soft smile.

Your gloved right hand reaches out to the small shadow's in the corner with your food in hand "You guy's hungry?" You asked kindly and watch with a amused giggle as the shadows jump at the realization that you can see them.

The silence between the three of you grows awkwardly until you beam brightly your eye's closing "It's ok. I won't hurt you..." you reassure before you hear a shuffle and a can knocks over making you blink open your eye's.

To your surprise, one of the smallest shadow's starts to come out of the darkness of the alleyway. Your eye's soften considerably as you take notice the child's lack of footwear as the little boy with messy, charcoal hair steps into the pale moonlight.

He's hesitant and shaking only slightly until his eyes meet your's, he calms after a few seconds and he goes down onto his rump as if he was a dog while looking at you curiously. You smile at him brightly and move close only alittle in order to not alarm the small boy "Here ya go" you whisper as you set the plate down in front of him.

He gasps in happiness and his eye's light up as if he's never seen food before, making you frown sadly at the thought of how starved he must've been and your eye's move to the other shadow behind him.

"There's enough for both of you" you add as you move back to dig into your bookbag moving aside your clothing.

You take out a few candy bar's from your last trip to the store and hold them out "I promise, you can have all of them" You reassure once more zipping up your bag and holding out the bars.

The shadow seems to spike up quickly and your eye's widen in surprise as a girl about 10 years of age, runs up to you and reaches for the candy in your hand. You take a good look at her as you hand them too her, she's older then the boy who seems to be her younger sibling and she shares the same charcoal hair as he does. They probably haven't eaten in weeks a using them to immediately dig into the food you provided them.

The siblings share their food messing up their already dirty face's with sauce and candy pieces, they release groan's of satisfaction as they stuff their face's. You take in how skinny they look and your heart aches for them before you hear a sudden bang.