Chapter 5: Family

Pzzt!

Pop!

Your eye's narrow in satisfaction as you pull your hand away from the once broken phone, the screen of the Apple device began to light signifying that it was turning on. The screen was cracked and chipped at the edges but, it should be fine if you could charge it, regularly. You glance to the right, where your eye's met the sidewalk and your eye's drift back to the phone in hand.

You didn't know why exactly you picked up the little device, especially since you didn't know anybody that you could call on or even converse with time to time. You never really made any close friends after moving from place to place so much throughout your life.

The screen blinks once and goes dark making you turn your attention back to the phone in your hand, you click the small circular button at the bottom of the device and the phone instantly powers up once more.

In Large, bold italics you see the numbers:

9:45

Along with the Date and Day, just below it:

Wednesday, November 14th

You stare at those words for a few moments before you sigh and swipe your thumb across the screen. The screen flickers and you instantly see a bucket load of apps piled onto the screen and two dots below symbolizing the two other pages that probably looked the same.

A smile doesn't grace your lips however as your attention is diverted and you look beyond the colorful apps, your grip on the phone grows tight and the crack at the side of the phone only lengthens. The screen saver shows the face a young girl about 15 or even as young as 14, she smiles brightly as she leans into an older male behind her. Her hand was outstretched so you could only assume she was holding the camera to take the photo, a hand was around her shoulder squeezing her into a slender frame with long curly hair as the male behind her rubbed a stubble coated chin on the side of her face. A younger version of the girl stood below, her face poking upwards to get a look although a smile marred her features.

It didn't take you long to realize that this was a family, the phone in your hand was the little girls who's name must've been Meili, based on the greeting the phone had given moments ago when it was activating.

You put a hand to your forehead before sighing heavily debating in whether to drop the phone or keep it, it was only in your possession to keep you entertained and call for help whenever you may need it.

You comb a hand through your hair before you stand up using the wall you had been leaning on as support. You didn't know where you were going, you didn't have anything to come back to though so what was the point of questioning the reason of your movement?

You stuffed the now fully charged phone into your pocket turning off the device with the press of a button trying to focus in the road ahead of you.

However, as you round the corner passing a small deli, your eye's link with the ground below as you find yourself reaching back to the phone once more. You resist with a huff before your movements slow until your in front of another Alleyway and you come to a complete stop.

Family....

The last time you had been apart of one, it hadn't worked out well...at least not for you. You had tried to make the best of it, you had been there for him when he needed you, and you tried to stay with him. But, you couldn't...not anymore. That man had never treated you like family.

But....he was still the only person you could ever truly call family, no matter how he treated you...it's never easy to admit but, you did miss the familiarity of a home, nice, clean clothing, maybe even the chance to have an embrace even if they were rare, at the time.

You felt your right hand go instinctively to you left arm before you felt your feet carry once more, you break into a run with your sneakers hitting the pavement. You didn't have a destination but, sometimes a simple jog was a chance to clear your mind. However as I took off into the night basking in the pale moonlight above, I cursed myself for thinking of him rather than anyone else in this moment, why did he have such an impact on you? Even now? You wrap your arms around you in an attempt to comfort yourself but all you end up doing is falling to your knee's in the middle of the empty street, wrapping yourself in a makeshift embrace.

You missed the feeling of being loved, being cared for, being appreciated or even just feeling normal. You wanted a family that wouldn't judge you for what you've become, you needed it, you craved it more then anything.

But, you knew that was only a lost cause....you couldn't have a family, not like this. Not being who you were, someone with unimaginable untapped power who could literally burst in any given moment. You couldn't let that happen, you couldn't bare to let someone you had grown to care for be injured, disfigured or worse.

You shake your head as you rise after a few moments, your emotions were getting the better of you once more. You felt your fingertips tingle as if energy had somehow enveloped them during your fit of sudden realization. You pulled your shielded hands from the sides of your stomach and you stare solemnly as they spark violently as they begin to spasm from the oxygen clouding around them once more. It grows steadily but remains barely controlled as you close your hands forming a fist as if to entrap the steaming energy.

You had to constantly remind yourself that this was why you had to continue running, maybe you weren't destined for the things others had the privilege of having. For no matter how much you had begged and pleaded, you were always given the pointed end of the stick. You had hoped this new change to Jump City would change all that.

"Well little lady...." he grin's at me and chuckles his eye's closing as he extends a mechanical hand out as a greeting.

Your eye's go wide and you feel your power release to the sky above you, passing by a street light. The bulb inside consumes a portion of the electric energy before it grows brighter than before and within a few moments it pops with a sizzle. You jump in surprise before looking around realizing the street was still empty before dashing around the corner.

You put a hand to your head as your face heats up, we're you thinking about a boy? You couldn't be....you've never even had a crush before...you've never had the time.

What was his name again? Not that you were interested, of course.

Cyborg, wasn't it?

No. No, that wasn't it. That was his alias. What was his real name?

"The names Victor. Victor Stone..." he smiles at me brightly, it was contagious and I felt the corners of my lips begin to tilt upwards...

Victor...

You continued to walk along the sidewalk path, it was already pushing 11:00 and you were still up so...what could alittle walk do? To clear your thoughts...

The small device in your pocket was momentarily forgotten, you tilt your head up towards the glowing moon above. Were you like the moon? Yearning for the life you would have if only you came so close to the ones seemingly so far...but staying away becuase you knew you could destroy it all without even meaning too.

No....no you weren't. At least you wanted to believe you weren't. You weren't evil, you weren't bad, but you were misunderstood. You didn't have the greatest of beginnings but, that didn't mean your story was over.

Little did you know....you'd have many obstacles to face before you reached the finale.