Page 85, CHAPTER-TEN: REBIRTH PART TWO

Page 85, THE SWORD AND SICKLE

PART TWO: DECEPTION

CHAPTER-TEN

REBIRTH

©2017, Olan L. Smith

"I am, sir. It is just they have sprung something new on me. They are preparing to regenerate themselves by contacting their true father. They have not once, mentioned him since I first found Six."

"This is interesting, General Steel. Are they hoping to boost their powers by doing this?"

"I believe so, sir. But I am not certain of the outcome of such 'regeneration'. They may become too powerful for us to control."

"We still have the fail-safe?"

"That is true, but if we use it we have nothing and there is a possibility that they may actually be of great service to the country. Even now, my control is limited, and if I try to stop them from regenerating, they may do so against my commands."

I understand. Go ahead and let them regenerate. I would like to observe it. I will watch from the control room. They do not need to know I am here. If I sense they are a problem, I will terminate them on the spot."

"Pardon me, but I am still in charge of this project, sir. I will make the decision whether or not to terminate. Victor is my son. My wife gave him life."

"Have it your way, Steel. Just know that I will be watching. If you do not terminate, then I will have to take charge. Do you understand me?"

"Yes sir."

"I am going to the control room. You can come or not."

"I will join you, sir."

Six said to her brother. "Time is drawing near. General Abrams is here and our father calls for us." At twenty-eight years of age, she had never set foot outside of the confinement of Area-51, since Henry brought her here. She had had no friends or companions, other than her brother. She had received the best education and had a profound knowledge of almost every subject taught to her by her daddy, Henry. She remembered having other parents, but they were mean, hateful and they had died when she turned eight. The night of her brother's conception was the happiest night ever, for her. Because, then she knew that would never be alone. The night of Victor's birth, the doctors whisked him away, from Ebon and they told her that her son had been stillborn, while the government moved him to the lab. She had told Henry of the dream, but he just dismissed it, until--Six told him that her father had made her a brother. Interested in the prospect of having another subject for the project, he asked who the mother would be. Six simply said, "Ebon, who else?" Henry then realized that the dream, his wife had relayed to him was not a dream at all. He never told her what he knew...he couldn't. His job required absolute secrecy. 

Ebon knew nothing about Henry's work, although she found it suspicious that he suddenly received this transfer after finding Six abandoned. Mostly, she just wanted to forget the thing. Six never contacted her after that terrible night. After awhile, what she thought was true, seemed to more like a bad dream. Like most dreams, eventually it faded and seemed less tangible, and she couldn't remember the details, other than Six figured in, it and that ugly big monster that scared her half to death. When she became pregnant, she figured that Henry was the father. She certainly did not have sex with anyone else. Moreover, she knew you couldn't become pregnant by a dream. She was elated to be pregnant and made many plans to be a mother. She knew many things could happen in a pregnancy, but everything went well. It just made the loss of him, all the more pitiful. Her family came to console her and stayed with her until they felt it was safe to leave her alone. All the knitted booties and other items, she kept for remembrance. She did not get to see him. The doctors showed her a body, but she didn't believe it was her son...surely not. God would not do such a thing to her. He gave her hope and suddenly, ripped the foundation from underneath her. Henry told her repeatedly that the body was their son. They buried him with the name Victor Steel, which seemed ironic to her. She felt they should have only put Baby Steel on the marker. She never truly recovered from the lost. Even now, not a day passes without her feeling a deep pang clawing her insides. Her relationship with Henry never returned to normal. He buried himself in his work and she drowned her sorrows by going out and trying to find happiness in other men, and a never empty bottle of booze.

Answering Six's question Victor said, "Yes I know he is calling us, but I know very little about our father, other than what you told me, and what is mentioned of him in the Bible. What will this regeneration be like?"

"I am not sure. He will instruct me soon on what to do next." Not wanting others to hear she next thoughts she projected in his mind and said, "Henry has not been enough help to us as our father though. They want us to be their weapons, but do not know how to teach us. Our father will spend time during our renewal to teach us things we need to know to conquer this world. Henry is afraid of us, but he has nothing to fear. We will never harm him, even if we kill everyone else on the planet. Ebon and Daddy will be with us always.

Six responded, "You are correct, we must plan well and use our abilities wisely. What should we do about Henry's superiors, those who in slave us?"

"Daddy is not just going to let us go without making sure he is able to stop us if we turn against him. We must make them believe we are on their side. We must use them to our advantage, my sister, and make them want to follow us. The first sign we show that we are too powerful. They will terminate us."

"I understand my brother. We must not let our true intentions show. We must be as cunning and wise as our father. It is time we communicate with him. Take off your clothes and sit beside me and cross your legs." He did as she requested and together the nude siblings began to meditate. After about an hour of meditation, Six arose and opened her mouth wide. Out of it shot a stream of silk. The stream anchored itself to the girder of the tall lab ceiling. She then spun a cocoon around the two of them and it drew them up near the ceiling. The silk was deep amber in color, and in less than two minutes the process was complete. The lab technicians who observed them via closed circuit cameras dropped everything and watched as the two vanish into the silky protection of their chrysalis stage.

General Abram turned to Steel and asked, "What in the world just happened?"

"I have no idea General. It looks like they have entered the pupa stage of their regeneration.

"Why?"

"I haven't a clue, sir."

"Get a forklift for me. I want to take a closer look."

"Sir, do you think that is wise? Who knows what is happening. We should image it first and test for radiation."

"Make it so, Henry. If it is not radioactive, I want up there." It took them, about twenty minutes to check for radiation, and then take an infrared image of it. I want constant video of it from this point on, and I want to know everything that is going on, both inside and out."

"Yes sir. Do you still want to see it up close?"

"If it is radioactive, suit everyone up and get me a suit. I want to see what this cocoon is made of."

"You plan on taking a sample of it, yourself. That is very risky."

"You meant to say, 'that is very risky, sir.'"

"Yes sir, but we can send a robot up to take sample, instead of you...sir."

"I respect your concern, Steel. Still, I will do it. I know what I want, the robot doesn't...and no more questions. Now, get your people suited up, I want to know what's going up there." The phone rang in the control room and Abrams picked it up, "Yes, I understand, I want you to hook up a cage to the forklift. I will be down directly. OK Steel, we have our answer. The thing is not radioactive. Let's get down and expect it more closely...and give me the failsafe control." The two men headed downstairs to the lab. Before entering, they don hazmat garments. In the lab, General Abrams viewed the infrared scans, and asked one of the lab technicians for her opinion of the image.

"Sir, it appears it is at room temperature and there is no sign of life inside. We have a uniform temperature of seventy-three degrees, Fahrenheit."

"How is that possible? It has been less than an hour since they built that..., that thing."

"Your guess is as good as mine, sir."