Fighting Against Nothing // Jughead Jones

request for nerdylunagamer

  As one of the three daughters of the Cooper family, I was excepted to be perfect. It was a known fact that Alice Cooper, My mother, groomed her daughters to be outstanding girls, and over all perfect. No matter how much stress that put on her children. She pushed for it. And none of us pushed back. And as the youngest of the sisters, it was ten times harder for me to reach these exceptions. Because anything Polly or Betty had already done. I couldn't do. So during one of Cheryl's many parties, someone gave me a drink. Told me it would help to forget. And it did help. So I kept drinking. I was sneaking around to parties and bars to get drunk. To feel better for a little bit. 

    "Jughead it's not that big of a deal," I say as we stood outside of my house. We were in the middle of a pretty heated argument which forced us to leave our group of friends at Archies.

   "What do you mean 'It's not a big deal?!" He screams, "you start drinking all of the sudden, go to these parties all the time, skipping school, for fuck's sake Skylar you are canceling our dates to do god knows what."

  "I've just been stressed Jug," I say. I notice Betty and the others had come to watch the fight. Probably due to Jughead's screaming. "It makes me feel better."

 "Really? Feel better huh? What happens when you wake up the next morning and nothing has changed huh?" He asks angrily.

   "It helps in the moment," I say, "I don't get why you are so mad?"

  "Because of this," He says gesturing at me, "you look like one of Cheryl's fucking minions!" I look down. I was wearing a pair of high waisted shorts that I stole from ginger and a crop top of Veronica's.

  "Its just clothes dude," I say, "they come off and mean nothing."

  "It's not just the clothes!" He screams, "its the fact that all of the sudden you are changing for no god damn reason."

  "I'm not changing," I say defending myself, "I am just trying to relax. You know how my mom is."

  "Your sister has the same mom and isn't doing the same dumb shit," He yells. I roll my eyes. That was the final straw.

  "I know you and Betty had a thing. But stop comparing me to her! We are two separate people!" I scream at him. His eyes were wide. He was shocked I screamed at him. I hated when he compared me to Betty. I know they dated. But still.

  "You know maybe I picked the wrong Cooper," He says. As the words leave his mouth a face of regret replaces his expression of anger.

 "Are you fucking kidding me?!" I scream at him. 

 "Sky I didn't-" He says trying to defend himself but I cut him off.

"Yes, you did!" I yell, "or you wouldn't have said it!" I look at the ground to hide the fact I was starting to cry. I wipe my eyes and look up at him.

 "Sky baby," He says placing an arm on my shoulder. I push it off.

"We are done Jughead," I say, "but hey at least now you can pick the right fucking Cooper." I turn and stomp into my house. I should have known. That was normally how the story went. They boys always fell for my older sisters.Betty and Polly were better than me anyway. I was a fool to think Jughead was actually over Betty. As I reach my bedroom I slam down onto my bed and sob into my pillows. 1 year down the drain I guess. 

 *******

        "Skylar," Betty says quietly from outside my door. I stare at my red face in the mirror.