chapter seventeen

Seeing Damon makes Jordan's insides turn and temperature rise. She doesn't know whether she is relieved he is trying to rescue them or whether she never wants to see him again. He makes her thoughts spin around in circles, and it is driving her completely insane. Jordan has never felt this way before, and she didn't know it would be this hard.

They bind her with the same ropes as before, and the relief on Stefan's face as she enters the room alive is evident. I'm alright, she mouths to him, and his muscles relax. Her eyes take sight of Stefan's bruised wrists, and she can barely hold back a gasp of surprise and wince of pain. To show that Stefan is doing fine, he softly bows his head. Jordan doesn't believe him, but she doesn't want to voice her worry in front of their captures, afraid they might use it against her.

Fear is a funny thing. When you expect to be left trembling at the sight of your greatest demons you lift your head and stare into the eyes of the beholder of your life with defiance. Fear strikes when you least expect it, but that also means that strength surges through you when you least suspect it. When you're beaten down and blood trickles down your body from numerous cuts, it doesn't stop you from facing your fears. So, fear is a funny thing, and as the same man who dragged his nails across her cheeks enters the room, Jordan doesn't feel afraid.

At least, not for herself.

Resolutely, Fredrick walks over to where Stefan is bound, not sparing Jordan a single glance. The beat in his step is one without hesitation, and as Stefan screams fill the air, Jordan can't comprehend what has happened. Fredrick must have used his vampirism to his advantage.

"Stefan! Stefan! Are you okay? What did he do?" Worry is etched in her voice as she frantically searches Stefan's face and body for any signs of injuries.

"It is called vervain, sweetheart, and not only hurts the body, but is very affective on a vampire's eyes."

Jordan's eyes widen in disbelief, and if she could, she would drop to her knees and beg for Stefan's life to be spared. "Please, you don't have to do this. We can all live in Mystic Falls in peace."

Fredrick speeds towards Jordan until he is mere inches away from sinking his teeth into her neck. Jordan raises her chin a bit higher. "You don't get it, do you? Your vampire boyfriend killed one of ours, so it's only fair if we take over this town."

With a knife, Fredrick trails Jordan's cheekbone. Jordan rattles her hands, twisting the rope that tie her hands. "I don't get? I don't get?!" Fredrick takes a step back as the other vampire – Harper – and Stefan look at her curiously. "You're the one who doesn't get it. You may be vampires, but you aren't invincible. This town knows it. I know it. You must know it. But what you don't know is that it is your weakness. Your greatest strength is your weakness, isn't that hilarious?"

Stefan's eyes widen as Jordan speaks. Since when does her voice has a sharp edge to it? How come she is so defensive?

Jordan's blonde locks stick to her forehead and shoulders as strained breaths fill the silence. Her shirt has been ripped at the hem, and if past-Jordan were to see a trailer of the last few weeks, she would have thought she looked mad. Crazy mad. Like this flickering light inside one's eyes kind of mad, and when her eyes lock with Fredrick's once again, she knows she is the odd one out. "Once you've been a vampire for over a hundred years you start to forget what it feels like to be mortal. You start to believe that you can actually live forever, but while that may be true, you can still die. You can still bleed like mortal man, fear still consumes you like an icy layer of dust, you can still be buried six feet under. So when a wooden stake hovers over your heart I want you to picture my face, because it doesn't matter if I die now and you'll die in a thousand years. You'll never fully outlive me. No one can."