10.

When the lights are off and the room is pitch black, we're all the same. None of us are different, we're all just dark silhouettes, gender, looks, sexuality, religious beliefs, style, none of it matters in the end. We're all humans looking at one another for acceptance and love. Someone to assure us and tell us that we're doing just fine, that we fit the rules that society has given us.

And, sometimes I think people forget that.

That we all bleed and cry, that we all work hard for others to accept us and love us.

Or, others use that for their own personal gain, they take advantage of other people's insecurities and twist their feelings around until that person hates themselves to the point of where they take it out on themselves.

I was like that once, I still am. But, I learned not to listen to those thoughts or worry about what others said about me. I was who I was and in the dark when none of us could see, they were just like me.

But, I still knew that they weren't, I would always know that.

"Kels!" Justin exclaimed, jumping on top of me, causing me to groan.

"Oh my god what you fat ass?" I demanded trying not to fall against my locker as he pretty much tried to crawl on top of me.

"Gabe and Jack are going to kill me!" He shrieked just as our two friends came bounding towards us, glares on their faces.

"What the hell did you do?" I asked as he climbed onto my back.

"I got them detention for a month," he mumbled just as the two got up to us.

"Kellin, move before you get hurt," Jack seethed, glaring at Justin and I.

"No, you're not about to hurt Justin."

"He-"

"I don't care what he did," I said, interrupting Gabe who scowled. "Justin, apologize to the two of them."

"No, they were being assholes."

"Justin!"

He let out an annoyed sigh, "Fine, I'm sorry... sorry you're both assholes!"

I sighed and pushed him off of my back and stepped to the side, "He's all yours boys." I relented as the two stalked towards Justin. "I'll see you later man."

"Fucking cock sucker!" He yelled as Gabe and Jack both grabbed an arm and started pulling him away.

"This is why you don't act like an asshole to two people who are bigger than you," I muttered and Jack threw me a smile.

"Thanks Kells," he said with a small smile and I nodded.

"No problem, just don't hurt him too much." I told him with a small smile of my own before I went on to my next class for the day. The second half of the school day was always long and slow, the anxiousness of getting to go back home and just relax and unwind, ever present for me. That was all I really want to do, just lay in bed and think about everything. It's been a week and a half since I went to Vic's masquerade and we danced for hours, talking about nothing.

He's had my iPod for over a week and to say that I was really starting to miss it was an understatement to say the least. I wanted it back, I had so many songs in my notebook that I had written that I needed to put on there and not having with me was driving me bonkers.

I didn't want to carry a little notebook around to write down all my ideas either, it got in the way and I hated carrying purses at times. Besides, too many times people had taken it from me, thinking it was a diary and then gave me shit for the "poems" that rested inside its smooth white pages.

Justin wanted me to just tell Vic and I've tried, multiple times I've tried but that never meant I actually was able to. Vic always ignored what I had to say, his thoughts always elsewhere.

Maybe I'd be able to eventually, it was just going to be a lot harder than I thought now that he and Lynn were broken up. Which meant he was never at the house anymore and I never had the chance unless we were at school and he was always surrounded by people.

He was just so adorable and well known, it wasn't even because he was a dancer or whatever. He was just so kind to everyone, I honestly don't think Vic Fuentes had a mean bone in his body.

Just another reason for me to like him.

I let out a sigh as I watched him walk past me, a small smile on his face as he glanced at me.

"Hey dude," he stated and I giggled.

"Hey Vic, I uh, I actually need to talk to you about something when you have the chance," I said moving to walk next to him.

"What's up?" He asked me just as a teacher stopped us.

"Mr. Fuentes, your dance teacher said he needs you now. He said there's a problem with your request for a new dance partner." She said and Vic nodded.

"Alright, I'll be there in a sec." Vic said and turned to me, a small smile still on his face. "I'll talk to you later alright? I actually had a request for you anyway."

I frowned but nodded my head nonetheless, watching as he walked away.

Every fucking time.

...

I smiled and spun around in my room, the skirt I had changed into, flying up in the air as I hummed to myself.

"Out of the skies, I shaped the silence," I sang, pulling my hair up into a bun, smiling a little. It was just long enough where it actually looked good pulled up and not absolutely ridiculous. "And from the earth, I carved these walls." I sang lowly, pulling an elastic band around my hair, moving it around until my hair looked the way I wanted and danced around my room until I found the cute little bow I had gotten a few weeks prior.

"A piece of the world, was only mine. And that's when I said, I wanted more," I sang a little louder as I twirled back to my mirror and tucked the blue bow in the center of my bun. "At the edge of the blackness, when you're stretched to the core-"

"What the fuck are you singing?" Lynn asked, I jumped and turned around to find my stepsister leaning against the door jamb, giving me a disgusted look.

"Just a song I wrote," I told her quietly. "I know you don't really care, what do you need?"

Lynn gave me a strange smile, "Nothing really, after Vic broke up with me, I realized he was right. I've been a major bitch to you so, tell me about your song." She said walking inside of my room. "How does the next line go?"

I smiled, maybe she really wanted to get to know about my songs for once. "It's just, catch hold of the madness."

"That's so pretty," she remarked.

I blushed, "Thanks."

"It's no problem, oh by the way, I definitely would love to borrow that skirt one of these days, it's just adorable." She stated before skipping out of my room.

My smile fell, was I crazy or was that fishy and weird?