Friendzoned

Goth's POV

Imagine this. A small, quiet neighborhood, with a small playground across from the houses. A little boy, meeting his new neighbor, another kid around his age. Imagine the games, laughter, and exchanged words. And imagine the pain and heartbreak that can come with it too.

This is the story I am going to tell you.

|Begin flashback nnnooooowwww|

My feet kick the sand up into the air, and I watch as it billows away, seemingly disappearing into nothingness. I wish that would happen to my loneliness. I wish it would just disappear. I watch, as two boys emerge from the house across from me. They travel to the park, onto the equipment, talking and laughing. I'm about to get up and leave when one bounds over to me.

"Hi! Do you want to play Hot Lava Monsters with me and my brother?" He questions, eyes bright with excitement. A small smile crosses my face as I nod, and get up from the swing. I follow him to the main equipment, where he instantly volunteers to be it. "Alright! I choose green and tan!" He calls out. His brother crawls into a ladder, and I back up onto a different part of equipment. He leans over with ease and tags me, proving that I underestimated him. 

This game continues for a while longer before I see my parents waving from the house, gesturing for me to come home.

"I got to go you guys!" I tell the brothers. The younger one makes a sad face and whines.

"You'll play with us again soon! Right?" He asks, sadness crossing his adorable face. I nod, and point to the house I live in.

"Yeah! Come by whenever and I'll be there!" I say, before skipping home. Its only when I'm eating that I realize I never got either of their names.

The next day was spent wondering if I'd ever talk to the brothers again. At least until one from earlier came to the door, asking if I could come and play. My father Geno didn't want me to go with a kid he didn't know, and protested it heavily, but dad convinced him I'd be fine. Apparently his brother wasn't around. We made up a game where we were family, we had two kids, and we were explorers chasing a rare species of animals. Any little boys dream. Day after day we played this game, the same thing every time. We were always a family, always in love. And I found myself actually falling in love with him for real.

Until that though was crushed.

"Hey Goth!" Palette laughs.

"Yeah?" I giggle at his ecitement.

"My brother was teasing me about liking you! Isn't that funny? I know we're best friends and all but we'll never get married or anything!" he says with a smile. My heart shattered. I never felt the same when we played our game, which was nothing more than a figment of imagination.

A few months later he moved, and I didn't see him again.

Until now.

|Now ends the cringe flashback|

My eyes keep flicking back to his face. Its so familiar. Where have I seen it before.

"Hey. Goth. You listening?" My friend asks, concern on their face.

"Oh yeah. Sorry!" I chime, turning back to them.

"I'm going to go get a snack, I'll be right back!" They say. I nod. Leaning back I watch the familiar skeleton move towards me. We start talking, remembering. Starting over.

"You know Palette, when you said we'd never get married it broke my little heart. I really liked you." I say. He grins the cheeky grin I remember.

"It hurt me too. I was just to stubborn to let my pride down." He laughs.

(A/N): Have a lazy thing while I'm working on bigger projects.