fifteen

"use the bathroom alright?" luke asked kennadi as she made her way over to him.

"huh?" he was confused by his question but them remembered that's where she told him she'd be, but obviously got distracted. "yeah. i did."

luke nodded. "ready then?"

kennadi nodded and the couple said their goodbyes on their way out. kennadi couldn't stop thinking about jack and the kissed they just shared moments earlier and what happened after.

"jack.." kennadi sighed, pushing him away again. "i can't. luke."

"so?" jack scoffed. "fuck that guy."

kennadi rolled her eyes, getting up from his bed. "i'm pretty sure madison said the same thing about me." she crossed her arms as jack sighed. "i know i say this a lot, but jack, you really hurt me. you hurt me all through senior year and when i finally got you, you continued to hurt me. you're not even mine anymore and yet i'm still hurting."

"what can i do to make you forget about that?" he asked and stood up as he says the tears fall down the girl's face. he held her hands in his.

"leave my life." she said only half joking.

"i did. for three years, kennadi. look how that turned out. we still ended up together. don't you see it? we are meant to be." his words clouded her judgement and for a minute, she was about to give it all up for him. just like she did as a teenager. she gave it up for him. it was always going to be jack.

"give me a chance to prove myself again kennadi." he gave her a boyish look of sincerity as he cupped her cheek in his large hand. she could see her jack in his eyes.

and kennadi knew the answer that would fall out her lips afterwards.

"okay."

she played with her engagement ring, pressing her lips together as she looked over at luke's hand where his finger matched hers.

"you've been quiet since we left the party." luke said breaking the silence between them. "everything okay?"

"yeah." she nodded to convince him. "just really pooped." she added a light laugh and a smile.

although, luke wasn't convinced. "was it jack?" he asked, even though he didn't want to know the answer. when his fiancee looked down instead of answering, he got it. "i saw the way he was looking at you tonight, and i saw the way you were looking at him."

kennadi remained silent and refused to make eye contact. she jumped when luke slammed on the brakes, sending them slightly forward. her eyes winded as she looked up and saw them stopped in the middle of an empty street.

"are you insane?" she screeched, looking at him.

"maybe. are you in love with jack?" he turned in his seat to face kennadi.

"that's ridiculous." she scoffed at the idea, looking down again.

"are you in love with jack?" luke raised his voice and slammed his fists against the steering wheel causing kennadi to jump in fear.

"no! why are you asking me this?" she yelled back.

"because i'm tired of being lied to kennadi." he barked. "are you in love with jack?" he repeated.

"no! i'm telling you the truth!" she lied. she lied so bad. her heart knew the truth and so did she.

luke scanned over her face, seeing the look of fear and hurt in her eyes. he started the car and continued driving them again.

"i think you should stay at your place tonight." she reduced her voice to barely above a whisper. luke sighed.

everywhere i go i see love turning into something it's not.