Something to hide...

Chapter 16

Something to hide...

Bri POV

I was glad to finally be in my own room back in the pack house. I gazed at Evan as he sat in the chair across from my bed with his eyes closed. He fell asleep after being by my side the whole day. I knew he was exhausted and probably getting tired of my depressed mood. No guy wants to have their mate crying over someone else but mourning takes time, especially when the person was a big part of your life. I did feel guilty for ignoring our mate connection but every time I even thought about being happy with him, I just…couldn’t.

After getting a small cast, the doctor told me it would heal in a couple days because of the accelerated healing of my wolf. She left for a little bit to fetch some herbs for a tea that was known to restore someone from a ailed state, whether physical or emotional. Dr. Elaine was an excellent doctor and I knew I was well taken care of under her supervision.

I was about to get some more sleep but there was this feeling that was bothering me. It was like motion sickness and heartburn put together. I pushed back the blankets and grabbed the crutch that lay next to my bed. Slowly I crept to the bathroom, trying not to wake Evan from his much deserved slumber. I limped trying not to cry out in pain as I put pressure on my broken ankle.

I shut the door behind me and ran the water from the sink. I splashed some cool water in my face, washing it clean of sweat that accumulated as I shook a fever. I hardly ever had fevers but a sure way to get one would be to lie outside in the rain.

My face didn’t look any better. I still had this sickly color and my eyes had dark bags under them. My hair was lifeless and hung past my shoulders in stringy layers. The feeling in my stomach started again and I couldn’t shake the urge to throw up. I threw back the toilet seat and let the sickness take over. I had left the water running to mask the sound of my puking. After I had nothing left to vomit, I washed my mouth out with water and grabbed my womb.

A warm sensation washed over me as I felt my lower abdomen.

“It’s your child.” The low voice of my wolf cried out.

I hardly ever heard from my wolf but always listened when I did. Was she certain? Am I pregnant? Worried emotions took over me; I wasn’t in any condition to care for a child. I never even thought of the possibility of motherhood till later in life. I made the decision to keep this quiet till I figured out what to do. I masked my unborn child’s scent to hide this from everyone, hoping it would buy me time for clarity.

A knock on the door startled me.

“Bri? Are you okay?” I heard Evan’s voice ask from the other side of the door.

I took a deep breath to calm myself before I opened it. Of course he would be excited for a child, but there was also something to consider…I didn’t know if he was the father.

I opened the door to face him. His handsome face was once again in a worried expression.

“Is everything okay?” He asked.

I laid my hand on his cheek to caress it. “I’m fine.”

He pulled me close and kissed me gently. I knew he needed my touch just as much as I needed his. He didn’t ask for entrance, he just grazed my lips with soft pecks.

“I have missed this, us being close.” He whispered.

“Me too.” I replied.

I embraced him tightly and didn’t let go, he returned my hold.

“What are you doing out of bed?” Dr. Elaine asked, interrupting our hug.

“I just needed to splash some water in my face, that’s all.” I answered.

Evan helped me back into bed then left so he could shower. Dr. Elaine brought a mug to my bedside.

“What will this do?” I asked.

“It will provide the nutrients that you need…and to nourish your baby.” She said.

My eyes almost popped out of my head as I realized that she knew of my pregnancy.

I asked her how she knew but that was an obvious answer, she was a doctor. She knew before I did. She also provided and answer to who the father might be after she told me my estimated conception date. It narrowed it to not one father…but two. Evan or Callum. The only way to know would be to unmask the baby’s scent. The father of the baby would pick up the scent of their child like an instinct.

“Please don’t say anything yet, I’m not ready to tell them. I’m not even ready for this myself.” I pleaded.

She handed me the mug. “Feed your child and don’t put yourself in danger, I won’t say anything as long as you do these things.” She answered.

I thanked her and she left some vitamins in my nightstand drawer before she left. I was glad to know there was at least one person I could go to about this.

I did as the doctor said and ate all meals that were brought to me. Everyone was surprised at my sudden will to live…if only they knew the reason why.

xoComment/Vote/Fanxo