Adjusting to change...

Chapter 18

Adjusting to Change…

Evan…my devoted true mate.

Callum…Was there for me when my mate was with another.

Now I was pregnant with both their children. Things were calm for the first month because our enemies had been silent. But back at the pack house there was a tension that was so thick. Callum was dedicated to making sure I was comfortable at all times. This was not okay with Evan.

I walked upstairs to rest, my round belly was a bit heavy and I wasn’t even half way through the pregnancy yet. I missed one step and that was all it took to fall.

A warm male touch steadied me. I turned to give him a smile but was surprised to see Callum as my benefactor.

“You sure are one clumsy pregnant girl.”

“I’m fine.” I retorted, snatching my arm away. I began to walk up the stairs again but was suddenly lifted. Callum was carrying me in his arms.

“Let me down!” I demanded. I couldn’t do much to hurt him in this state but I did slap him in the head a couple times.

He continued to walk to my room and laid me upon my bed.

“Why do you hate me so?” He asked. He sat on the edge of my bed.

I tried to avoid looking into his sad blue eyes. It was hard to be nice to him ever since I saw him with the girl that destroyed our bond. It was not his fault but the damage was done.

He laid his hand on my stomach and automatically there was a soft flutter feeling that overtook me. The baby kicked at his touch. A smile spread across his face, revealing his dimples. I couldn’t control the smile that came across mine.

“I will make you love me again.” He said.

He kissed my stomach then my forehead. Before he left my room I replied to him.

“Don’t count on it.”

Later that evening, Evan came back from patrol. He had organized a team of wolves that took shifts protecting the pack land. I felt proud to have such a protective and brave mate. Slowly, I was letting go of the depression that had just a month ago almost destroyed me. It wasn’t easy but preparing for the baby helped distract me.

“How’s my baby doing?” He asked before he kissed my lips.

“They have been moving all day.” I answered.

I had two babies and soon we all would have to adapt to life where both twins would be fathers and I would have to co-parent with both. I think that Evan would forget that detail at times…or maybe he just didn’t want to think about it yet.

The Nightshade pack had decided to make their stay permanent due to a large amount of the pack finding their mates here. It would create conflict to separate them. My pack seemed happy since finding their mates.

“Still can’t believe you’re going to be a mom.” Cam commented while we were having a pack dinner.

“I can’t either; you and Eric are going to be such good uncles.” I laughed.

The room was filled with conversation about when the babies would arrive. Alpha Woods and Lisa were supportive and that was how we were able to remain positive. Evan held my hand while it was lying on the table. I could feel my other hand being taken by Callum under the table next to me. I looked at him and tried to shake my hand out of his. He seemed disappointed as he excused himself without finishing his meal. I tried to resist him even though it was hard, out of respect for my mate. It just made my heart ache sometimes, knowing that he was alone.

After dinner, Evan escorted me to my room and led me to the bed.

“Wait here.” He instructed. He walked into the bathroom and shut the door.

Minutes later he emerged from the bathroom and took my hands.

“Close your eyes, Baby.”

I did, wondering what he was up to. Once he shut the door behind us, he told me to open them. The room was dim, with only candles lighting the room. They were spread across the large bathtub and were lined up the small stairs that led to it.

I couldn’t help the joy I felt. Things have been so stressful lately and this was a good way for us to reconnect. As wolves, we need to constantly be reassured physically by our mates. I know he needs this just as much as I do.

“I love it, Evan.”

He pulled me into a sweet kiss, slowly taunting my tongue with his. My dress was lifted from my body, revealing a curvier figure. Breasts that were fuller, hips that were calling to be gripped. He ran his hands down my skin, leaving a tingling sensation where ever he landed.

Once naked we slowly crept into the warm bath that he had run for us to share. The warm water and the calming bath salts were a perfect combination.

“Come here.” He said seductively.

I floated closer to him. The want for each other was building by the minute. He took me in his arms as I climbed on top of him. He stroked my back as I began to kiss him.

“You are mine…forever.” He whispered in my ear.

He slowly started to pump into me with such a delicate rhythm as to not hurt me. We hadn’t been together since before the battle. I cried out in pleasure each time he re-entered. The closeness I felt with him couldn’t be matched.

After making love, we took to the shower. He was gentle with me which made me feel like things were going to work out no matter what. I could only hope that these babies I was carrying would only bring us closer.  That was the first night that I actually didn’t wake up with nightmares of the battle, as my mate held me close in the bed we shared.

Its been months since the last upload but I will be continuing to write the story now. Please forgive the absence. Thank you :)