A Runaway and a Kidnapping

Chapter 22

A Runaway and a Kidnapping

“What…the…hell…is…this? Evan roared.

I could see the fury in his eyes. He wasted no time in changing to his wolf. Callum moved off the bed and changed as well. Evan lunged for Callum’s throat and succeeded in leaving a deep cut.

“STOP! PLEASE!” I screamed.

My cries had no effect and why would it, Evan was in a fit of rage and Callum was fighting to stay alive at this point. There was nothing I could do, I couldn’t change and get between the two without endangering the babies.

The almost identical wolves were thrashing about through the entire room. Each of them were going for the kill shot to the jugular.

I ran to the hallway and screamed for the Alpha. He was already running up the stairs with Lisa following behind.

“Are you okay?” Lisa asked, as frantic as I was. My hands clenched where Evan had laid his mark, I knew this pain. I could feel the searing pain of my mark disappearing from the mate bond being severed by infidelity. Lisa held me until it passed. I shrugged out of her hold to check on the boys.  As I came in the room I could see Alpha Woods had both of his sons by the neck.

“You will stop this, and when I put you down, you will not attack one another.” He ordered in his alpha tone, a tone that could not be disobeyed.

He let them down slowly and both of them grabbed their throat while trying to regain air and composure. I had never seen their father so angry.

“I have a pack to lead and protect and you two have made things so complicated!” He screamed at his sons.

The disappointment was apparent in his voice. Even though he wasn’t screaming at me, I knew I was being addressed too.

“I will not stay in this house! I will set up a camp in the surrounding woods. I don’t want to be bothered.” And with that said he stormed out of the room, then the house. Not a word was said to me nor a glance my way before his exit.

Alpha Woods let him leave with no contest. He said that Evan needed some time away from us. I handed Callum a sheet to cover with as he stood up. We knew what we did had to be done, there was no other way to save the baby. Evan would never have understood, from his actions, he would have preferred that Callum’s baby died.

After the Alpha had reassured the pack that everything was okay without telling them the details, Callum, Lisa, and I were in the Alpha’s office explaining the entire situation and why we betrayed Evan in the worst way. He understood our reasoning…but he also understood Evan’s rage. If time was what Evan wanted, then we would have to give it to him.

I had no room to sleep in; it was destroyed from the fight. As I reached the top stair, Callum took my hand and led me to his room. I stopped at the door.

“I’m sorry Callum…I can’t. What we did, we did for the baby. My mate hates me right now…but maybe one day he will understand. I don’t want to go in there with you and go any further.”

He was upset but I knew that Callum was not who I wanted to be with. The connection that was with Evan seemed more like love; the one with Callum seemed more like lust. I backed up from Callum and entered Evan’s room. I shut the door, laid in his bed, and fell asleep to his scent that lingered.

Two weeks later…

No word from him…

My due date was in less than two weeks and he hasn’t talked to me. I longed for my mate; I needed his support, and his presence. A pregnancy is supposed to be a joyous time but this has just been a mess. I tried to stay on my bed rest but without my mate, and our connection being severed, I was deep in discontent. Callum would try to cheer me up but at the end of the day he wasn’t Evan.

One evening, I decided that I would find Evan and beg for him to forgive me. I would try to explain the situation to him like I should have in the beginning. I waited till the Alpha and Lisa retired to their room for the night and until I could hear Callum’s shower turn on. I put a coat over my white full length nightgown, and quietly crept out of the pack house.

The night was dark with few stars and the air was chilly. Once I stepped onto the freezing grass, I realized I had forgotten shoes. It was too late to turn back; Callum would surely catch on to what I was doing. I started walking into the woods in search of Evan’s scent. It was silent and I couldn’t smell him anywhere. After twenty minutes, I had decided to turn back.

Leaves crunching and sticks snapping behind me alerted me to walk faster. No one would be able to help me this far out. I tried to cry out to Evan through a connection that no longer existed. Before I could call out to my pack I was grabbed from behind in a firm grip and a cloth was placed across my mouth, swiftly knocking me out. The last thing I remembered was the smell of blood…the scent of the Blood red pack.

I know its short but I’ve got a major twist for you guys in the upcoming chapter and I promise it will be longer ;)