The Proposal

Chapter 25

A Proposal

“I think this little guy is hungry” Callum chuckled.

He handed me the whimpering baby. I kissed my newborn son’s forehead and gazed at him with adoration. He let out another hunger cry and began to nuzzle my chest. I pulled my shirt down to expose one of my breasts to feed him. He began to greedily suckle as if he hadn’t been fed in days.

“I’ll call you when he is done.” I told him.

He nodded and left my room. We had a system worked out; he wanted to take care of the baby in every way but left the feeding up to me. It was hard to spend time with the baby because Callum wanted him all to his self. The baby would feed from my breast and I was happy to provide nourishment for him but I felt as though our bond was not forming as it should, he would cry for long periods of time until my sister would hold him. It hurt me as his mother but I was glad to see Bailey care so much for him. She had recently gotten some horrible news from the pack doctor after she was seen for a checkup. Due to the torture she endured from the Blood Red pack, she would never be able to carry a child of her own. I believed that was the reason why she was so good with my babies, because she would never have her own. She was a godsend during the night.

I looked across my room to see Evan rocking our baby girl in the new rocking chair his mother gave us. It was a sight that warmed my heart. Surprisingly, things had been quite pleasant between everyone. My sister was settling nicely with the pack, Evan and Callum had not fought once, and the babies were healthy as could be.

It had now been a month since my kidnapping. I was putting all of those memories behind me. Alpha Woods’s brother was now dead and the threat had been erased. I was ready to move on with my life. There seemed to be only one conflict left, I was now unmated. My mark from Evan was nonexistent after sleeping with Callum for the babies’ sake. We were in a sort of limbo, we cared for each other but that intense bond was broken. I knew in my heart that Evan was my mate; he was destined for me and I for him. With or without the bond, I knew that I would love him forever.

Evan looked up from the baby girl and smiled at me. I felt butterflies within my belly; it had been a while since I had felt so giddy. I was ecstatic that I gave him something that made him so happy. He picked her up and laid her against his shoulder as he burped her. I did the same with my son after he got his share of milk.

The babies were named Charlie and Evangeline or Eva. A name that began with a ‘C’ for Callum’s son and a name that began with an ‘E’ for Evan’s daughter. They had brought joy to the entire pack. Alpha Woods and Lisa couldn’t have been any more supportive. Alpha Woods would hold them while having pack meetings with other Alphas, not caring that it made him look like a softie. Lisa would have the babies outside with her as she gardened; they laid in little seats as they got some sun.

After giving Charlie back to Callum, I decided to take a much needed shower. My shower time was my thinking time. I thought of what our futures might hold as the babies grew up. I imagined Charlie and Evangeline as they got older and I hoped they would have easier matings than I had. As the warm water ran down my body, I began to think of Evan. I yearned for the day that he’d touch me again. I missed his intimate touch and I craved the chance for our joint satisfaction. I turned the knob of the shower to change the temperature to cold. There was no use in getting all hot and bothered, he wasn’t interested.