Marinette-Chapter 7

Marinette hardly heard a word that her friends were saying as they walked through the park to go ice skating. She had been so busy researching the history of the mummy that was on display at the Louvre that she had lost track of time. Again.

She had been in such a hurry to meet her friends that it had been far easier to transform and use the rooftops to get her to their meeting place. What she hadn't expected was running into Chat Noir. Where had he been going?

Heat filled her cheeks as she remembered the picture Alya had mentioned. There was nothing romantic between her and Chat Noir, no matter what everyone else seemed to think. Absolutely nothing. Just thinking about it made her uncomfortable... He was her best friend, after all.

"Earth to Marinette," Alya called, waving her hand in front of Marinette's face. "Come in, Marinette."

Marinette felt the blush on her cheeks deepen. "Sorry. What?"

Alya rolled her eyes, a small, knowing smile playing over her mouth. "I was asking if you wanted to stop at your parents' shop and get some pastries and hot chocolate to take with us?"

Nodding, Marinette smiled. "Sure, that sounds great. My father has been working on a new cookie that practically melts in your mouth. We should get some of those."

The sweet, sugar-filled air of the bakery caressed Marinette's nose like a hug as they entered. Her father's back was turned, busily frosting cookies, but at the sound of the bell tinkling over the door to the shop, he turned and smiled.

"Hello, kids," he wiped his hands on his apron and shook hands all around. "What brings you here?"

"We came to get some cookies and hot chocolate to take with us to the park," Marinette replied. Her father's smile widened and he turned back to the counter, quickly boxing up some of the freshly baked cookies he had been working on.

"Have fun tonight," he said as his wife brought a thermos of hot chocolate out from the back. Apparently, she had heard the whole conversation. "It's been too long since the four of you were together."

Marinette glanced at her friends, holding back a sigh. They were all together, but it would never quite be the same again. Nino and Alya would be married soon and Adrien had Alyssa. She suddenly felt as though she stood in a sort of no-man's land, with no place to call her own anymore.

"Oh no," Alya slapped her forehead and stopped in the middle of the sidewalk as they left the shop. "Nino, I was supposed to pick up the invitations today. The shop is just down the street, can we run and get them before it closes?"

Nino nodded, handing the box of cookies to Adrien. "We'll meet you guys there. Try not to have too much fun without us, bro."

Adrien chuckled, glancing at Marinette whose stomach flipped uncontrollably and she couldn't help but smile in return. Adrien had that effect on her.

"We'll try, but I can't make any promises," he grinned, slapping Nino on the shoulder as he and Alya moved off down the street. Falling into step with Marinette, he nudged her gently with his elbow.

"So you were late too, huh?" he teased. "Glad I'm not the only one who lost track of time."

Marinette giggled, relaxing slightly. "Yeah, I was doing some research for a project."

Not a total lie, she reasoned.

"So, when are we going to start seeing your designs all over Paris?" Adrien asked as they walked down the crowded Paris street together. They were so close, Marinette felt his hand brush hers more than once, but Adrien didn't seem to notice.

"I want to start my own clothing company as soon as I graduate," Marinette replied, clutching the warm thermos to her chest. "Which reminds me, I better get working on my dress. If I don't, I won't be in the running for that internship. I've been so busy I almost forgot."

Adrien opened the box of cookies and peered inside. He looked tempted but quickly shut the lid again and glanced sideways at Marinette.

"You know, you would make a really great model for your dress," he smiled, reflexively reaching out and brushing a stray strand of hair off her forehead. "You're beautiful."

Marinette's heart skipped several beats. Adrien had just called her beautiful—that had never happened before. Maybe there was some hope after all...

"You know, if I'm going to model my project, I'd need a great photographer," she grinned, elbowing him playfully. "Know anyone?"

Chuckling, Adrien replied, "I might know just the guy. Reasonably priced, ruggedly good looking too."

Marinette's laugh was cut short by Adrien's phone ringing. He glanced down at it and gave her a sheepish look. "It's Alyssa. Do you mind?"

"No," Marinette said brightly even as her heart sank into her boots. "Go ahead."

Adrien moved a short distance away and Marinette heard him laugh at something Alyssa said. She turned away, focusing on the warmly lit shop windows across the street instead.

"Sorry, Marinette," Tikki said quietly, poking her head out of Marinette's purse. Marinette shrugged, shivering hard as a chill wind rushed up the street and whipped right through her. She hadn't realized how cold it was until Adrien had left.

Suddenly, a blast of heat melted all the snow on the street, evaporating the small flakes that had been falling around her. Marinette spun and dropped the thermos. A girl about her own age stood above the street as though suspended from invisible wires. Her hair looked like—no, it was fire—and her eyes smoldered like black coals.

"I am Global Warming," she cackled, blasting the street again as frightened people scurried out of her way. "And I'm here to bring back summer! Winter is cold and dark and unhappy. No more shivering, no more cold! I'm going to make summer last forever!"

Marinette looked wildly around for Adrien, but he had vanished, hopefully inside a building where he would be safe. There wasn't time to wait anymore. She darted into an alley and let Tikki out of her purse.

"Tikki! Spots on!" she cried, her own clothes melting into her red and black suit. Hurtling herself upward, Marinette used her yo-yo to swing herself up to the top of a charred tree. But the brittle ash-like branch snapped under her weight and she started to fall. She let out a scream as she began to tumble, but before she hit the ground, a strong hand reached out and grabbed her.

"Well well. Look what the cat dragged in," Chat Noir grinned, hauling her up beside him. "Looks like I got here just in time."

Marinette laughed in spite of herself, rolling her eyes good-naturedly. "And not a moment too soon."

A blast of heat whooshed over their heads and both Ladybug and Chat Noir ducked at the same time.

"I hate to hurt your felines," Chat said casually to Global Warming, causing Marinette's lips to twitch again. "But it's time for you to go."

Global Warming glared at Chat, the temperature around them rising steadily.

"Is that so?" she demanded. "Well then, it looks like we're in for a cat fight."